Impulses on OSX/PT8 - Do I Have This Right?

11thDay

You said member...
Mar 23, 2005
Minneapolis, MN USA
OK, I've been wearing out the search function and have come up with the following. Please tell me if I have this right...

If I am running OS X (Snow Leopard) and PT8, and I want to use impulses, my initial choices are limited. Here is the chain I'm going for, basically. I have yet to buy everything after PT8:

Guitar > Interface > PT8 > Revalver Mk III RTAS > Convolution Reverb > Recabinet

I know that Revalver has built-in convolution but Shane from Recabinet said it is not optimal. I'm also trying to get the most bang for my buck, so I'm looking at LiquidSonics Reverberate for convolution. People seem to love it, it has a ton of features, and the price is right for me at $50. But to use Reverberate I need a VST-RTAS wrapper. Matt from LiquidSonics is offering a 50% discount on the FXpansion wrapper (plus he just got the RTAS SDK and is working on an RTAS version).

I know there are free VST convolutions, but from what I've read they don't work too great in a wrapper. Reverberate seems to work well, though.

Am I missing anything?

The only thing left to do is check with Shane to see if he's found any issues with Recabinet and Reverberate. Then I should be set...?

Anyone have experience with Reverberate and the wrapper? Especially with Revalver and/or Recabinet?

Mellowmuse is RTAS and its only 50 bucks

http://www.mellowmuse.com/IR1A.html

Thanks. Just discovered IR1A, don't know how that one got past me...

So now my dilemma is the Reverberate/FXpansion wrapper combo for $100 (plus the added benefit of having the world of VST's open up to me), or $50 for IR1A. Arg!

Anyway, at least I can demo IR1A. Can't demo the FXpansion wrapper.

Go for IRA1. I avoid wrapped VSTs as much as possible. IMO they are unreliable and often have a lot of latency. If you only want it to load impulses the IRA1 is way simpler.

Go for IRA1. I avoid wrapped VSTs as much as possible. IMO they are unreliable and often have a lot of latency. If you only want it to load impulses the IRA1 is way simpler.

This

The wrapper works....but not really....If that makes sense

Drop 50 bucks on a sweet loader thats tried and proven....or 100 bucks on a combo for something that will work but has the chance of being a little buggy

The choice is yours kimosabe

Also keep in mind...Those vst's that you're talking about are most likely those free ones that are floating around here...While they are most likely freaking sweet, the majority are pc only.

Thanks for saving me some cash, guys. The valuable insight is much appreciated! I'll be demoing IR1A and Recabinet this weekend... although I should skrew the Recabinet demo and just buy it at $14.99. Can't beat that price.

All of my customers who are using IR1A have been really happy with it. The plugin keeps getting better, had some quirks for a while but the latest version is very polished.

Also we are working on our own plugin for Recabinet 3, coming later this year. Initially we are only supporting VST and AU, but RTAS may be supported by 2011. In any event, I'll definitely post here when further news or details are available, I've said all I can say for now.

There's also the option of getting the Music Production Toolkit for ProTools and using TL Space. Plus you'd get your multitrack beat detective, mp3 export, Smack Compressor, bigger track count, Eleven LE, Hybrid etc

OK, I've been demoing Mellowmuse IR1A and Recabinet this weekend and frankly, I'm blown away. The Pod Farm tones are improved tremendously. Yeah, I know I'm late to the party with impulses, but damn. Shouldn't have waited so long...

I've purchased the full version of Recabinet and will be buying IR1A. It will take awhile to save up for Revalver, but the impulses breath new life into Pod Farm. I should be set for awhile.

Thanks for all the advice!