In Flames - A sense of purpose CD/DVD

GuitarHack

Krank it UP!
Sep 3, 2006
Victoria, Australia
I bought the CD/DVD yesterday. I haven't listened to In Flames before (laugh as you may) but when I saw it came with a DVD showing the recording process I thought I'd give them a shot. At first I didn't like the vocals, but they are growing on me. Anyway, the DVD is pretty cool showing what amps, cabs, mics etc as well as their 5150 settings for Rhythm and Lead stuff. I was surprised to see for Leads they had it on the Rhythm channel with Gain maxed. Worth checking out. I just wish their drummer would keep his clothes on and his knob off the signed guitar. :lol:

For the guitar nerds (me included:heh:) - Main amps used were JCM800 (I think), 5150 and Orange Tiny Terror. Cabs used were Marshall and Mesa. Mics used SM57, SM7 and some AKG I think. They tiny terror sounded pretty nice for lead stuff.

Now I must check out some older In Flames stuff.

Someone may argue with me (and has a complete right to I suppose) but I think everything after reroute and even some of the stuff on reroute is absolute garbage. They're not at all the same band they once were, so check out Whoracle and figure out which side of In Flames you like, because you probably won't like both. Every time I think it cannot get any worse, they impress me with their ability to discourage.

Man I must be the only one who likes every single cd they've made. They're all great in their own way. Someone should post the amp settings :headbang:

you're not the only one, i frequently get reamed for my hostility thowards their new material but man.... I only like one track on soundtrack, two on cum clarity, and none on the new one. I'd like to be nice about it but i cannot!

i am also another who likes all the stuff, i don't much care for bands who create the same stuff over and over again, i would like the see a band evolve and try new things push their own limits to whatever end that may be.

i may just be a person who can see what a band is trying to accomplish and can respect and appreciate it for what it is and don't hold any personal bias.

one thing i do dislike about band dvd's and especially long running bands is that i pain over the fact that they have a hard time choosing which gear to use during recording sessions. :)

i wish i had problems like that, which guitar for this lead sound? i dunno just get number #259 from warehouse 34. thank you very much.

In Flames was one of the first bands to get me into Scandinavian metal and I will always respect their achievements, but anything post-Reroute, as others have said, doesn't make its way into my playlist very often. I own all of their albums and their live DVD (which is awesome) regardless.

These days I feel that Dark Tranquillity more represents the logical evolution of where In Flames was at with albums like The Jester Race.

See i was kinda with guitarhack up till last year when i saw them live. I was blown away and i bought there new cd then which was Come Clarity. Then i bought soundtrack and now i bought the new one. Honestly i love every cd i have. I have not heard any older stuff beyond what i own and I'm gonna have to keep my eyes peeled at the record store for some of them. Any how i just wanted to say there new stuff is what drew me in personally and i love it! So there doing something right in my mind. I personally think metal fans over analyze things way to much some times. Plus I'm glad they evolved into what they have because it made me really like them.

I love everything they've done from Jester Race to Clayman, and even those albums are really, really different, but anything since Reroute to Remain has failed to impress me. I still like the new albums, but I seldom listen to them on purpose.

+1

Ever since they started to make a sound that whould reach out to a bigger crowd, they deteriorate their music.
Love their older stuffs tho.

Someone may argue with me (and has a complete right to I suppose) but I think everything after reroute and even some of the stuff on reroute is absolute garbage. They're not at all the same band they once were, so check out Whoracle and figure out which side of In Flames you like, because you probably won't like both. Every time I think it cannot get any worse, they impress me with their ability to discourage.

i agree reroute is definately their strongest album, come clarity has grown on me alot, as to has the new record, but i still dislike soundtrack and clayman!!

the like every in flames album, but you can't really compare the new ones with their old ones. I'm kinda over the idea that they're never gonna put out another whoarcle or jester's race, i just take each album at it's own face value. it's kinda the same with soilwork and their old stuff.

that said, i like the new in flames. It's got alot of the old feel injected into it, but it's definately not old in flames. There's some good songs and the solos are a much welcomed addition.

For me, the evolution of In Flames was from Lunar Strain to Clayman, for example the change from whoracle and clayman was huge, everything from reroute to a sense of purpose is more like fitting the trends or keeping themself in the way of the new fans, and it´s valid but that is the "evolution" i don´t like.

Kazrog nailed it with the DT Example, i mean Dark Tranquillity is about the same age of in flames, and they are still in the road, with the same or more activity than inflames, and the most important thing, with THEIR OWN sound intact and new elements attached, i mean, this guys knows how to Reinvent themselves, instead of "Evolve" to fit, they are still sounding like DT (old and new) and they are gaining new fans with every new album, and In Flames has the abillity to do that too, but they are looking to another thing, or just get bored of a sound they created.

So is Madonna...

Jeff

Sure, point being, the stupider you make your music, the more units you'll move. It's really strange to me that In Flames' gamble worked because I don't feel that Anders is able to carry a pop tune with much conviction, and that he's really far better of a growler than a singer. If you look at most of the artists selling records, it's all about somebody charismatic in front, who can usually sing. In metal it's bands like Disturbed at the highest level of sales who are moving units largely because they have great singers who write catchy melodies and lyrics. I can't stand the simplicity of Disturbed's arrangements, but that doesn't seem to bother most of the audience of that music.

I did like some of Madonna's stuff on the "Ray of Light" album though... :lol: