In Flames - A sense of purpose CD/DVD

Sure, point being, the stupider you make your music, the more units you'll move.
Come on now, that's just silly and I'm sure you really don't think that. Stupid relative to what, your personal favorite noncomformists? You could make an argument for simplicity I suppose, but I still think you'd be mistaken.

Honestly, the second someones favorite screamer does anything but that (which includes more than actual singing, I've heard people say anders sounds like jonathon davis on colony etc because of the talking/whisper parts) they'll call him/her a sell out and try to take all value from their music. I would hope a forum full of musicians would appreciate diversity!

Sorry man, songs like "You had a bad day," most modern gangsta rap, basically pop radio schlock in general is fucking retarded

You guys tend to forget that In Flames from 'Lunar Strain' up to 'Clayman' had only three stable members (Anders, Jesper and Bjorne then on drums), and it's logic that every lineup change usually change the approach to songwriting a bit. So much for the evolution.

From 'Clayman' on, they have a stable lineup, hence the slowing down of the evolutionary process.

And old songs from In Flames sound good on record but they are kinda dull to play and listen live (with their exceptions, see 'Behind space'...). It's my opinion but also their word.

Come on now, that's just silly and I'm sure you really don't think that. Stupid relative to what, your personal favorite noncomformists? You could make an argument for simplicity I suppose, but I still think you'd be mistaken.

Honestly, the second someones favorite screamer does anything but that (which includes more than actual singing, I've heard people say anders sounds like jonathon davis on colony etc because of the talking/whisper parts) they'll call him/her a sell out and try to take all value from their music. I would hope a forum full of musicians would appreciate diversity!

Stupid relative to their previous work, in the case of In Flames. But on a broader level, I tend to feel that 99% of mainstream music is incredibly dumbed down. It wasn't always that way, with progressive bands like The Police and Pink Floyd moving tons of units back in the day - but today's mainstream is a different thing and it's really geared around the most casual of music listeners who have no passion for music, and want music simply as background noise or to make them feel cooler while they drive to the mall. What the big labels are largely not realizing is that in focusing on that demographic, they're ignoring a huge amount of the population who wants something better from their music.

And I'm not going to say that In Flames is anywhere near as dumbed down as the current mainstream drivel - but I generally think their arrangements are skewed to focus on having the "big chorus" every time and that the chorus is always weird and kind of a letdown.

I appreciate diversity when it's done well (Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Opeth.) But when In Flames cuts an instrumental section short to make more room for their latest bizarre attempt at a catchy chorus, I don't think it's diverse, it's just depressing. I don't think they're fully pulling off what they're trying to do, in other words, hence I'm surprised that it's worked for them in terms of sales as well as it has.

Diversity for the sake of diversity is often horrible, though. Like Led Zeppelin playing reggae - make it stop!!