IN FLAMES Clayman Re-recorded 2020

The worse about BR, as an example, is that, even with the insane amount of autotune used, he still sings like shit. And he has stripped the song of any emotion.

Original Pinball Map sounds pretty decent on my phone speaker tbh. I've got a Huawei P20 Pro.

The re-recorded version is more centered, but also sounds weaker due to the shit production.

The worse about BR, as an example, is that, even with the insane amount of autotune used, he still sings like shit. And he has stripped the song of any emotion.

The original clean vocals on Bullet Ride are perfect as they are supposed to sound hopeless and desperate, which the mumbling vocal achieves perfectly. Listen to the fucking lyrics, they aren't meant to be sung like a pop music track. They're desolate and so are the vocals. It works. New version is a complete mockery of the original.

OFTW is the worst for having the energy and emotion stripped away. Why change the second "I feel so guilty" from scream to clean vocal? It totally misses the point of that line. Then the chorus... is it me or does Anders sound bored singing it? Like he's being forced to. There's no emotion, no power, no range. It's like a robot programmed to sing badly.

Reactions: eochaid
I think that he's so centered on trying to make the songs sound more melodic that he has missed the part in which he must feel the music

I have an oppo and the old songs sound perfect.

Maybe Bjorn tricked him into doing it. I would agree Anders sounds uninspired, even on my jam BR. Likely he was dead inside for these recordings. Maybe Anders could hear how shitty it all sounded and felt bad he was shitting on their legacy. Maybe even Jesper was blowing up Anders’ phone telling him to stay the fuck away from their baby. But Bjorn forced him to finish the vocals. Done in one take. Flew home the next day a broken man with some inspiration for the next album. Krofius could probably tell us what really went down that day.

Judging by the guitars I don't think Bjorn gave much of a shit either. Just listen to the solo in the original BR and then in the rerecording... the latter is fucking pathetic. It doesn't sound like either of these numbskulls even tried.

Because he prefers to be inspired instead of putting hard work into the songs.

There's this bugging me. He says that they choose these songs because they're playing they live in a regular way. But I cannot remember BR or PM being played too much in the past years.

There's this bugging me. He says that they choose these songs because they're playing they live in a regular way. But I cannot remember BR or PM being played too much in the past years.

Shhh... don’t give them a reason to touch Swim, Suburban Me, As the Future Repeats Today. So fucking happy they didn’t touch those.

Reactions: eochaid and DE4life

Pinball Map has been played somewhat regularly over the years.
upload_2020-7-25_22-7-44.png

Mostly pre-2010, but they did play it last year when I saw them.

As for Bullet Ride:

upload_2020-7-25_22-8-31.png

Played a lot in the early 2000s, then practically disappeared until 2015 before vanishing again, so not really a regular track as far as modern IF are concerned.

Clayman similarly hasn't been played that often since mid-2000s:

upload_2020-7-25_22-9-54.png

Captura de pantalla (654).png

Lol that comment.

Also, both spectrums of IF fans in one post. The deaf and the Old School fan.

Captura de pantalla (655).png

"Only for the Weak sounds good and mostly unchanged" - sorry, what? Mostly unchanged? Compared to what, doing a reggae version?

After living with this EP for a few days, I can say with 100% honesty that this is an awful piece of shit. I found nothing redeeming about this entire thing. Pinball Map especially is an absolute abomination and should be deleted from history. How this has seen the light of day is mind boggling. I would rather listen to Scream and Bottled back to back for the rest of my life than ever hear this atrocity again. If you are going to re-record something from your back catalog, how the fuck do you make it sound so terrible with 20 years of technology in your favor? God damn.

Reactions: DE4life and eochaid
The EP is basically Clayman songs rerecorded for people who can't handle serious metal. Metal for children - but most kids aren't dumb enough to think this sounds good either.

As for listening to Bottled back to back... let's go easy on that one, chief :D maybe Scream and TCP. I'd genuinely rather listen to Siren Charms in its entirety than ever listen to one of the rerecorded Clayman tracks again.

As for listening to Bottled back to back... let's go easy on that one, chief :D

Yeah, you're right. We don't want to get carried away here.

Still... fuck this EP. I am curious to hear what kind of remaster the actual album got though. Maybe they're trolling us and they actually remixed the album the same way as the EP.

Reactions: galvanized
Indeed. Hopefully the guy who took the job was a professional and realized there was nothing to do. Fredrik Nordström and the Mastering Room achieved the optimal solution at the Cramer Rao upper bound and technological progress means nothing in that case.

I asked our boi Tanner about the production process, assuming there was some kind of issue due to COVID19, etc, however...

upload_2020-7-26_9-26-47.png

So make of that what you will.