IN FLAMES Clayman Re-recorded 2020

I'm genuinely struggling to understand how anybody could enjoy the clean vocals on this EP. They are just garbage, on every single track. I'm not saying that as an opinion, either, they are objectively atrocious. Now granted people can like really bad singing, but I can't understand that any more than I understand people liking beastiality or necrophilia. It blows my mind that anybody with working auditry function can listen to that singing and say "yeah, that's nice".

Simply a matter of taste and tolerance, my friend. I'm no stranger to musical acts with vocalists of dubious talent. Novembre being one such example, Sybreed another. I just happen to like 'em. On the other hand, I can't stand the kind of cheesy operatic vocals that dominate a lot of symphonic metal in the least. Just as an example.

Rest assured that there are limits to what I can endure, though.

Last edited:
I'm genuinely struggling to understand how anybody could enjoy the clean vocals on this EP. They are just garbage, on every single track. I'm not saying that as an opinion, either, they are objectively atrocious. Now granted people can like really bad singing, but I can't understand that any more than I understand people liking beastiality or necrophilia. It blows my mind that anybody with working auditry function can listen to that singing and say "yeah, that's nice".
Bullet Ride clean vocals are not bad. It’s a big step up from the mumble talking, not that I dislike that. But I see no problem with them. If he wants to sing clean this is a lot better than the pop punk bullshit on the other tracks or Battles or ITM. This is what he should strive for because he can blend between this style of singing, yells, growls, easily. Like, they go together.

Couldn't disagree more. His vocals sound as awful as BR as they do on every other track, and the original is way superior to me in every respect.

Reactions: eochaid
Just to get some context, @DE4life — you thought his vocals on the covers EP were bad, too, right? Is it more the timbre of his voice, the fact that it sounds unnatural due to the autotune, etc?

I just don't enjoy bad singing, man. I listen to too many good singers to take Anders' cleans on most IF records seriously, and my standards are definitely a lot higher than what is being presented on this latest release. If you or anybody else thinks that sounds good then OK, but I genuinely think barely anybody outside of the IFWT bubble would consider these vocals acceptable.

Anders sounded better on the Covers EP, but that's only because it was produced properly. This 're-recording' EP has the double whammy of shit vocals and shit production. The only thing this EP has going for it is the instrumental which is alright.

Listening to Bullter Ride right now, and have to agree, the cleans are terrible and sound unnatural. Anders' strength is that he sound great in his imperfection. He has a unique, raunchy voice. That is totally gone here. It's the equivalent of photo filters which make your whole body into one continuous surface. It's fine if you want to hide a few wrinkles here and there, but if I can't make a difference between your nose and ears, you went too far.

I like Anders' cleans, but this is not it. Barely his voice. Absolute shit. ITM and Battles are MUCH better.

Pinball Map sounds OKAY, but Anders voice is so laughable during the chorus. He is decent in the verses, but jesus, those fake cleans are bad. He went off the rails, like when people use so much botox their head look like a cancer tumor. I wish him some self-confidence.

Never thought I'd see the day when I was in total agreement with Slave :D it's us against the world.

Ok. After reading Slave's post I had to listen to the thing.
Lol.
The guitars have the exact sound of my old one. A cheap guitar that I bought with a cheap amp. But they sound like it when I have to lower down the volume to not disturb my neighbours.

The drums... Why? Just why?

The bass. I don't know if there's one. I just don't care.

Anders... HIs level of... cheating... the overabuse of autotunes... is just amazing. I don't see any improvement on his vocals with respect to the original version.

The instrumental. Frankly, every piano cover that I've seen on youtibe sounds far better. This is like Apocalyptica plays IF by cello but without any effort or interest into it.

My best guest is that they were party drinking and thought it was a good idea. Then they sent this to the label while they were party drinking and they thought it was a good idea and no one noticed until the thing was done.

Seriously, the No Good EP is better than this.

... I guess, the worse thing is that this doesn't even make me mad. Just... laugh... a lot.

It's not, as it is objectively trash. I have a very high threshold for shit music, and I gladly listen to all kinds of metal. I even unironically like songs from the previously mentioned 30SFM, or from bands like Three Days Grace, A Day To Remember, Hollywood Undead, so I am absolutely fine with some of the most commercial and pre-packaged whiny metal out there. I would be among the few people who could tolerate, or (depending on the quality of work) even like if the re-recorded tracks have more cleans. But this is one of the very few instances where I have to agree that this is objectively bad. If you disagree, then you will come to terms with it within a week or two.

We've talked about Sonata Arctice and how their re-recording of their freshman record was boring. It was boring, because it lacked their youthful energy and imperfection, and instead it tried to be too professional. The songs may have been better from a pure musical standpoint, but they lacked soul. A pity, but understandable. However, In Flames was so pathetic that they managed to rip the soul out from these tracks AND underperform musically. There is no excuse for that.

I believe that intentions matter, so if you try to surprise me with a cake, but somehow slip on a banana peel and throw the cake into my face, I still can't be angry at you, because I understand what you were trying to do. Maybe I did not even want a cake in the first place, but hey, thanks for trying nonetheless, too bad it ended up this way. This EP had no good intentions behind it. It is strictly worse in every possible metric.

You know, yesterday Orden Ogan's new single was released, and it was pretty fun. It's a metal band which create their records around themes. In the previous one, they were cowboys (and had many western themes and influences), in this one apparently they are going to be something futuristic. You can call it silly, or lame, or whatever, at the end of the day, they basically they play the same music with these themes thrown around it and have fun with their music. I could say similar things about bands like Nightwish or Hammerfall. A 50 year old dude singing about imaginary medieval things, or a band composing music around some fantasy story may sound lame, but at least they have fucking fun with it and you know it. This EP does not sound fun to anyone. At least Battles had proper vocal production. It's a missed opportunity that the instruments were so thin on Battles, but I can't help but like the vocals. They are fucking catchy, and it is no wonder they have been produced by someone who has been in the business long enough to be capable of creating the perfect verses and choruses for your average radio hits. Battles may be a travesty of an In Flames record for most, and it is certainly not my favorite either, but for the most part, it's fun, and a breath of fresh air; different.

This fucking garbage of an EP is none of the above. I hate that you guys often keep repeating the same insults about the band, even when they are either not true, or hugely exaggerated, because NOW when these criticism are not only legit, but seems like you are actually holding back, it doesn't have the necessary shock value. Lurkers who may not post here just read the comments occasionally will think it's just something mediocre again and they brush it off. No! Everyone should listen to this. Everyone should understand how bad, sad and pathetic this is. I love St. Anger (record and song as well), I think Linkin Park's first two records are masterpieces, I unironically listened to Master Blaster, and I already have a Korn ticket purchased. I have nothing to lose in terms of dignity, so I really have no selfish incentive to bash this record so I can look cool. This IS an embarrassment.

Reactions: DE4life
@everyone

Guys, what the fuck? Battles clean vocals better than Bullet Ride? So, obvious autotune and polished So Cal choruses are better than a little adjustment which still leaves imperfection?

The Bullet Ride clean vocals are more like Siren Charms vocals. Shitty, more natural (although still enhanced), but do have a charm to them. Like I said, for the last half decade Anders’ clean voice has been produced into some snotty pop punk princess. I hate that shit. If the dude wants to sing and have his voice enhanced, at least he’s getting it enhanced into something more fitting for metal. Sounds like he’s starting to let his balls grow back after taking hormones with Benson for years.

What Anders was trying to do on Bullet Ride is much better than Pinball Map. Pinball Map is Battles shit again. Only for the Weak is Battles+Korn vocals.

Bullet ride has obviously been done with autotunes. I don't see anything natural there.

Wow so much shit going on here! I miss this. :D

So here's my take on the EP, I listened it a few times now.

1) Themes

I just dont like this one. Doesnt make any sense to me, wont feel like In Flames or anything, wont listen it again for sure and I wont rate it.

2) Only For The Weak

First of all, I always felt like this one was overrated not much of a fan of the original. Now the new version. Main riff with guitars felt more good. Guitars a bit more cleaner which is something I like. Verse vocals are pretty good. They've added a new riff after the "I feel so guilty" which I think suits song too much, love it. Chorus singing feels more melodic than the original so its good also. Leads on the verses so much cleaner and feels better for sure. They kinda changed the "tale of the bitter man" part with drums and singing, didn't do it for me, original is much better for sure. Solo part is almost same with the original, but I feel like it sounds much more the live version of the song. On the final chorus, leads have more volume sometimes and I love it.

Original OFTW : 8/10
Re-Record OFTW: 7.8/10

3) Bullet Ride

The guitar tone is much cleaner but weaker than the original, I prefer the original one. Verse vocals are improvement, feels better. Pre-chorus is almost identical to the original. I can say the same thing to chorus, still pretty strong. I love the part after second chorus, almost identical the original. Solo doesnt work for me, I just didnt like it. I love the part after solo, leads are freaking awesome with screamy kind of vocals. Outro is pretty good too.

Original Bullet Ride: 10/10
Re-Record Bullet Ride: 8.5/10

4) Pinball Map

Much like in Bullet Ride, guitar tone is good but weaker than the original. Verse is a huge improvement for me vocal wise and guitar wise. Sounds much more aggresive in my opinion, love it. Chorus vocals holy shit! Its so much improvement from the original, I just love it, cant say anything bad about it. When I heard breakdown I was shocked cause its a pretty good arragement they've added. Feels more darker. But didnt like the synths at the "glimpse of joy" part. Solo didnt feel better for sure. Overal I liked this version a lot.

Original Pinball Map: 9/10
Re-Record Pinball Map: 8.5/10

I wont comment about Clayman cause we talked about it but just rating it.
Original Clayman: 9/10
Re-Record Clayman: 9/10

I find it sweet that someone still thinks that Anders can sing two consecutive notes without using autotunes :D

BR cleans are closer to what I do when I go to the toilet. Though I don't need protool devices to make them.

Reactions: DE4life
It's like somebody took Anders' terrible singing live and used ProTools to try and make him sound even worse. I'm not convinced Benson had much to do with these re-recordings, as Anders sounds way worse on these re-recordings than he does on Battles or ITM. Vocals on the re-recordings sound like they were autotuned by a total rookie who was still trying to figure out the software.