IN FLAMES Clayman Re-recorded 2020

I brought him up because everyone is trying to chase clout by berating him. Like that leads to anything, and like there aren't other issues in the world. A week ago I would've brought up the middle-east, but now I can just say look at Belarus.
But ony because he's a pedophile misogynist nationalist white supremacist supporter of the klan that's putting children behind bars and threatening to teargas his population while holding a bible with his hands.

Apart from this, I don't think that he's worse than, for example, Hillary Clinton.

Suburban Me:
Björn: “This is another fun song to play but Chris Amott [who guested on the song's solo] kicks pretty much everyone else’s ass when it comes guitar – and that kinda ruins the song for me because there’s no way I can play it! I don’t want to mess it up either. So usually this one has been vetoed by me...

"Honestly though, his solo is so good. I’ve always admired that guy and his playing...

"I know his brother Michael really well too. They’re both amazing guys. It’s interesting how both of them are so good and yet so different! Mike is so much more blues-based with a lot Schenker lines and really cool wah stuff, like I do, and then you have Chris who is a classical shredder extraordinaire. His technique is impeccable.”
I'm sure you could if you actually tried.

Two thoughts:
1. Chris Broderick has entered the chat

2. Dark Tranqulity on their new album with Chris Amott and Johan Reindholz: “checkmate”

Reactions: DE4life
- it is great to hear björn talk so much about jesper. really, the whole interview shows how it was truly a 3-man band. i was sure björn was gonna talk about daniel on square nothing, but nah.

One day I was reading some old finnish interviews because I was bored. In one of them Björn said that on Colony he and Jesper wrote everything to completion and then told Peter&Daniel how to play the stuff. But on Clayman and R2R the guitarists first wrote only the rudimentary blueprints of the songs. Then the songs-to-be were presented to others and arranged together by the five of them, with everyone getting a say. So whereas Peter and Daniel were never that important songwriting-wise, it seems they at least had some input on certain albums.

The violin parts on "Metaphor" were originally played by Björn with guitar. Only when he heard the final mix he learnt his guitar melodies were gone and replaced with the violins. He approved of it though, even though he really had a "WTF" moment at first.

Jesper said being in IF was like being in a snowball rolling downhill. At first it was small and going slow, but eventually it got really big, fast and out of control. When Come Clarity won the official Swedish "export product of the year" prize he was kind of uncomfortable about it. Then on the next album he felt there was pressure (from outside the band?) to write something even bigger (commercially?) and as we know, he was in a really bad place with his substance abuse at the time, so it all contributed to his eventual leaving.

Peter writes/has written lyrics, but they are "very different" from what Anders writes, so he never intended them to become IF lyrics. Plus he thought ideally the singer should write his own lyrics.

Reactions: galvanized
I'm listening to the passenger album n my phone an, to my surprise, there's an extra track that ,I don't have on the cd and never heard of.

I have Drowning City in my Passenger folder, although I have no idea where I downloaded the album from as it was 15+ years ago. That and Clowns were two bonus tracks that were on the Japanese edition. Clowns is actually one of my favourite Passenger songs, link below for anybody who hasn't heard it.

So I don't know if it's just me, but I cannot tell a difference in these remasters. Like at all. I know sometimes remasters are subtle, but this one? I'm not hearing anything different. I picked a few songs and listened to certain parts of the original and then the remaster right after and I can't tell them apart. Not in production, mixing, dynamics, anything.

Same here, they sound identical to the originals. This is basially just a reissue with some terrible bonus tracks.

Reactions: The Grayfox
So the In Flames spotify talks podcast is up with the Anders & Bjorn Q&A and Bjorn answered my question about whether they'd work with Daniel Bergstrand and Roberto Laghi again. I was fully expecting an answer back saying they're super happy with Benson and probably going to work with him again but he was surprisingly complimentary and non-commital

So, the new Dark Tranquillity song just dropped.

Production could be better, drums are kinda plastic.
Overall sounds like a really safe DT song, not much experimentation. Reminds me of Atoma with hints of Haven and Damage Done, but a bit mellower. I dig the mood and the atmosphere of the song.
Guitar melodies sound nice, solo is on a simpler side but sounds good (contrary to the wah-fest of the modern IF).
Vocal-vise a bit uninspired.

Here's a track-by-track review of the whole new album from the pre-listening stream: https://www.musicalypse.net/dark-tranquillity-moment-pre-listening-stream-gothenburg-07-09-2020/
I fucking love the cover art, Sundin became so good at these lately. It "was meant to symbolize a moment in time when one can see all the potential paths one can take with the beam of light providing a sense of clarity and solace." Fucking love that.

On the IF side of things...

I've skipped the whole Clayman 2020 discussion, I've been at the IF concert in March and it was fucking great, even Anders sounded listenable, or at least it seemed so. The band was having fun, everyone in the audience went absolute bonkers when they played Behind Space, the new guys in the band seemed to be very excited to play that. I like those guys.
So, that and ITM (which was unexpectedly okay) kinda raised my expectations for the future of the IF, but... then they drop this abomination. :tickled: Welp, at least the new album art is nice.

Clayman EP is nice, imo. I guess I just don’t understand the hate aside from the weak production.

That new DT song is very meh. I listened to it last night and I’ve had “Faithless By Default” stuck in my head ever since.

So, the new Dark Tranquillity song just dropped.

Production could be better, drums are kinda plastic.
Overall sounds like a really safe DT song, not much experimentation. Reminds me of Atoma with hints of Haven and Damage Done, but a bit mellower. I dig the mood and the atmosphere of the song.
Guitar melodies sound nice, solo is on a simpler side but sounds good (contrary to the wah-fest of the modern IF).
Vocal-vise a bit uninspired.

I really like the new DT, although as you say it's pretty safe and in a lot of ways a continuation of the Atoma sound with hints of Character and Fiction - which is fine by me, as I like all of those albums a lot. Stanne's vocals aren't what they were 20 years ago but he sounds fine. I actually think he sounds better now than he did ten years ago. Guitars on this song are really nice, the atmosphere is instantly identifiable as DT (@ In Flames, this is an example of having a 'sound'). 8.5 or maybe even a 9/10 track for me. Really excited for the new album now.

Clayman EP is nice, imo. I guess I just don’t understand the hate aside from the weak production.

I'd be more worried if you did understand it in all honesty :D not meaning to be offensive bro but there has been an overwhelmingly negative response to this, so if you don't understand it's probably more on you than other people.

Here's a track-by-track review of the whole new album from the pre-listening stream: https://www.musicalypse.net/dark-tranquillity-moment-pre-listening-stream-gothenburg-07-09-2020/
I fucking love the cover art, Sundin became so good at these lately. It "was meant to symbolize a moment in time when one can see all the potential paths one can take with the beam of light providing a sense of clarity and solace." Fucking love that.

The cover art is fantastic for sure. That review is getting me seriously hyped for this album.

"Next, “Identical to None” had a certain feel to it that made me think it could have felt at home on In Flames’ Clayman album. “The Dark Unbroken” introduced a prominent synth sound, much like on “Terminus (Where Death is Most Alive)” from Fiction. It was by far the most melancholic song so far."

"As a welcome change of pace, “A Drawn Out Exit” started out with an ominous, slow bass line accompanied by a guitar riff in an Arabic or Medieval scale. It then built up to a more kicky melodic death groove. Though none of the melodies on this were real stand-outs, sound-wise it was my favorite so far. It also had the most unapologetic, fiddliest guitar solo."

"A more epic, melodic death vibe followed with “Empires Lost to Time.” These were the strongest guitar melodies so far. The main verse-to-chorus run was very upbeat and seemed almost in a hurry. It took a few opportunities to take brief respites from the relentless tremolo, providing a good balance."

Sounds like there's also a lot of gothic-tinged stuff on the album, and a couple of tracks the border on commercial. Should be interesting. Leak this mutha, now!