In Flames-Come Clarity

the dammed

Mar 8, 2006
www.mutinynet.tk
In Flames 11th album,Come Clarity,regains the fury of Lunar strain,the melodicness(is that even a word?!)of Clayman and just imply kicks ass.
In Flames are definitly one of the finest metal bands around. Awesome guitar work,a brilliant singer and a great back catalouge.
Although Come Clarity may seem a bit more mainstream than previous work,its fucking excellent!!
The perfect blend of melodic metal and death! Hell, even the ballady title track kicks ass!! The opening track 'take this life' tears through you in the verses and doesnt let up at all!!
Leeches is next. Bloody addictive. I have to admit, im becoming addicted to Anders Fridens vocals....
On a whole the album is great and is much better than the previous two (soundtrack to your escape and reroute to remain)which were dangerously touching off nu metal but were still good.
Although come clarity is great, i wouldnt recommend starting your in flames journey with it as it has much better production and makes the older albums seem low budget(IMO) so start with something like Clayman or Lunar Strain.
So go out and buy this record and listen to one of metals finest acts around today.
10/10

Personally, I couldn't stand this album. Unlike the two previous recordings I didn't vomit uncontrollably however...which might be a bonus. Older In Flames is the way to go if you want melodic death, if you like nu-metal influences in your music, pick this one up. I give it a 5/10 out of pity.

When I first heard it, I didn't even recognize it as In Flames. I thought "damn, more generic metalcore..." and when I learned it was In Flames, I was horrified. Being introduced to their music through masterpieces like "The Jester Race" and "Clayman", I couldn't believe how much their music had regressed. They went from downright amazing to the trendy metalcore scene. I don't like it. I give it a 3/10, as the album does have its moments but In Flames is capable of much more than this. Don't buy it, whether you're an In Flames fan or a metalcore fan.

Okay In Flames sucks, and so did Clayman.

The Jesters Race makes up for all the shit they have made though pure genious. Fuck Anders get a new singer who's not gay and who doesn't listen to KillSwitch Engage. Take a lesson from your counterparts Dark Tranquility and stop sucking ass.

It doesn't come close to touching Clayman (a 10/10 in my books), but its probably the best album they've done since then. They've set a high standard for themselves, so this is a disappointment overall, but I'd still give it an 8/10 when you compare it to a lot of shit out there.

I wouldn't say this is one of their best releases but I too have a soft spot for In Flames, they are my favorite. Jesters Race and Whoracle far outshine come clairty. Overall though there are far worse metal albums being released currently. My take on their change in sounds, however, is probably due to several things such as touring with more american bands and being influenced by their sounds, wanting to pull more of the american audience into their group of listeners, as well as the changes taking place in corporate side of metal, (gotta keep your lable somewhat happy to keep getting paid)all these things lead to bands changing the sounds, be it for better or worse.

Blue_Jay said:
Umm Mr. Metal Noob Anders is not gay. In just about every music video they have made you'll see some hot girls in them, more notably in Touch Of Red.
WTF, I can't even comprehend how someone could bring themselves to type such a ridiculously idiotic statement.

Blue_Jay said:
Umm Mr. Metal Noob Anders is not gay. In just about every music video they have made you'll see some hot girls in them, more notably in Touch Of Red.

What does this even have to do with "Anders is not gay". If Kirk Hammett is in a new Metallica video with hot women that still doesn't make him straight.

I found this one better than Soundtrack, but not as enjoyable as Reroute... all of which pale in comparison to the early stuff, until Clayman set them off on their american trend. No idea how anyone can realisitically compare this to the older stuff, it's a totally different style of tune. Fair enough if you like it more, personal taste and all. It's just *not* the old stuff, in the slightest. The vocals are whiny and lacking depth, the music is very well put together, more instantly likeable, but dwindles quickly in time.

In Flames is my favorite band of all time.

They opened my eyes to a lot of other bands that previously I couldn't stand. I love every single In Flames album, although it did take some time to embrace Soundtrack To Your Escape in the same way.

I agree Blowtus, it is impossible to compare older In Flames to new In Flames because they are totally different. I still think Come Clarity is an improvement over Soundtrack and another excellent album to add to their growing numbers. I really look forward to their next one, whenever that happens.

TJR was the first 'full on' metal song (as opposed to metallica ish stuff) I'd ever listened to... didn't much like it at first but it grew on me for weeks and weeks. I guess that'd be one reason I find the recent stuff so disappointing - In Flames spent a few years as a very clear favourite for me :)