In Flames - Come Clarity (4.5/5)

Reaping Clarity

The Grimmest Reaper
Sep 5, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
www.myspace.com
I originally wrote this review here: In Flames - Come Clarity Review - sputnikmusic
I wrote it ages ago, decided I may as well post it here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Flames - Come Clarity

In Flames are band you can't not have heard of, Always having a unique yet different sound for each album, and Come Clarity is no exception.

In Flames Are
Anders Friden - Vocals
Jesper Stromblad - Guitar
Bjorn Gelotte - Guitar
Peter Iwers - Bass
Daniel Svensson - Drums

This is the latest album release for In Flames and is truly one of the more memorable ones despite others like Reroute To Remain or Soundtrack To Your Escape. This album mixes with melody and chugging riffs which keep hitting you beyond content. I will do a track by track based review, purely for the fact that each track deserves it

Take This Life - Ah yes, the opening track, starting with a little guitar cling then come the drums, with a slow blast beat (which is ok, Drumming has never been their strong point) and whatya know, you got yourself a death metal riff straight away. The verses contain Anders angrily singing (as he does) emotional lyrics which is followed up by the line before the pre-chorus "make me understand you're there for me". The chorus itself has a consistent harmonic guitar line with Anders singing clean vocals. To me this song seems personal, because obviously it is revolving around the suicide concept (don't worry, they'res still no Emoness) (5/5)

Leeches - Uh-Oh evil leeches, no not really. This song like 'My Sweet Shadow' has some technological effects, which I have no objections to, they can mix quite good with metal. I like Daniels symbol work in this song, It backs up the guitars fantastically. The verse has Anders singing, backed up with all-round drumming (Which means a complete hit of each drum around the kit in consecutive order). The chorus, what more can I say, the man is in pain; Very nice vocals here however. Overall this track does 'it' for me. (4.5/5)

Reflect The Storm - Okay here we go track number 3. This baby maintains a nice harmonic guitar beginning with bass drum and bass guitar synchronization. Anders gives his nice little introduction then WHAM the guitars are chugging, but it soon leads back to beginning riff with added little chugs in between, don't worry, this song only gets better. Anders is singing, he wants the evil, but also objects to it, well to me that�s what he's saying, Interesting song if you ask me. The chorus is the highlight for me, nice and slow. (5/5)

Dead End - OH god Anders just got castrated...Ohhh wait its a girl, yes this track features the vocal talents of Within Temptation�s Sharon den Adel. This track has one of the best intros, heavy chugging guitar and double bass drums, and you can also feel the vibration of the bass guitar. I like how they differentiate the music between when Sharon and Anders sing, soft harmony for Sharon's calm beautiful vocals, then onto Anders BOOM here comes the heaviness as Anders sings his anger, awesomely might I add. Their voices go so perfectly together, sung together in complete harmony for the chorus, the way they sound contradicts each other, and you have no idea how good that sounds. (4/5)

Scream - I say scream, you scream, I scream, WE SCREAM FOR ICE-CREAM!. Ok he doesn't say that, but it'd really be something if he did eh? This one opens up with a distorted guitar spasm on a single string (I call fast jolts spasms), Then comes every other instrument (which I'm sure you're all accustom to). A short silence then Anders comes in singing about how ordinary people are, only living for life itself, I agree with this man. The chorus is what its titled, the man is screaming about screaming, enough said. (4/5)

Come Clarity - No jokes here people, this is one of the most beautiful songs I have heard in a long time, I get goose bumps every time I hear it. This masterpiece opens with a compelling acoustic guitar line, you're lost in the song as if it were a dream already. The bass drum and guitar come in playing slowly and peacefully, then comes the other acoustic playing another amazing line. Anders has begun, and I must say his vocals could not be better, the song just flows so perfectly, one never to forget. The chorus of this song is especially why this song will be remembered, an assortment of power chords, slow paced double bass, along with the soothing lyrics:

"I want you to lead me
Take me somewhere
Don't want to live
In a dream one more day"

And before you know it, the solo has come in, keeping to the songs feel they keep it slow, but is it still very amazing. (5/5)

Vacuum - Hello insanity, so good to see you again. This song has no introduction, you're just thrown straight into the madness with everything a-go. It shows you no mercy by continually hitting you with the fast paced riff. But do not fear the chorus gives you time to recuperate. The chorus for this the only way to escape the madness and realise you're not insane, It has Anders giving out some clean vocals, nice and harmonic. (4/5)

Pacing Death's Trail - That�s right people, the first song on the album without clean vocals, may God help us all. Ah yes the chugging intro filled with guitar spasms, I like! But ofcourse mixed with harmonics, how can you not have harmonics ;)! A very fast paced song, so fast even sometimes you don't even know when the chorus is going. But really who cares these days where and when the chorus is. The verse and chorus maintain similar guitar riffs, but they're both very climatic. (4/5)

Crawl Through Knives - Ahhh....Nope I got nothing. Alongside 'Come Clarity' this is one of my favourite songs on the album. A simplistic yet cool intro for this song which is then sped-up to bring you yet another dun dun dun...! chugging riff, this is also the point where Anders begins to sing. He keeps his good grisly voice for the verses, For some reason I thoroughly enjoy the pre-chorus where he says "Could it be the things I need?", and ofcourse I love the chorus itself, its melodic, its got all-round drumming, a consistent guitar chord riff , what more could you ask for? (5/5)

Versus Terminus - I don't know who Terminus is, and why they would want to hurt him, but hey, I'm sure he deserves it. I like the drum work in the intro, and quick guitars, it all goes together well. This song is one of the most harmonic on the album, not as much chugging...boo hoo for me. The chorus is amazing though. We got guitar chugging over here, and over whelming harmonics over there, Huzzah I say, my hat goes off to In Flames for yet an another amazing song. (5/5)

Our Infinite Struggle - Don't worry boys and girls, we're on the home stretch, only 3 songs to go. Bam bam bam intro on the snare drum and were in the harmonic guitars of yet another great song. There is pain during the verse and chorus of this song coming from Anders, I doubt it's a personal matter but you can tell he wants you to feel it, emphasised best in the chorus "You should realise, it hurts in me too". (5/5)

Vanishing Light - Hooray, some more chugging <3. You heard right, another song that has no break down, it just keeps going constantly, straight into your brain. I am impressed with the guitarists abilities to maintain the speed through out the whole song, also the several key changes. Like Pacing Death's Trail, its hard to pick when the chorus is, but as I also said, Who cares :D. Great Song. (4.5/5)

Your Bedtime Story Is Scaring Everyone - Not me, I'm a big boy. I can't really say much about this song, it is ofcourse more like an outro than an actual song. It starts with some distorted screeching, then a piano harmony with a very faint voice overlapping it, NO idea what the guy's saying. The song goes for 5:18 and 3 quarters of the song is the piano harmony, only when you get to about the last 1 and a half minutes a song actually begins, slow paced chugging of the guitar, and Anders' vocals are kinda weird he like goes low HIGH low HIGH, but it still sounds cool, no real objections to this song besides the piano piece being far too long, it at least could have been different besides always being the same little piece over and over. (4/5)

Overall this album is Mega, I recommend this to everyone, you won't regret it. (4.5/5)

Oh in regards to my review, this is my first one. You don't like my style? well...go and die (not really, please don't hate me) , if you like...well hey I like you too.

Dead End - OH god Anders just got castrated...Ohhh wait its a girl, yes this track features the vocal talents of Within Temptation&#65533;s Sharon den Adel. This track has one of the best intros, heavy chugging guitar and double bass drums, and you can also feel the vibration of the bass guitar. I like how they differentiate the music between when Sharon and Anders sing, soft harmony for Sharon's calm beautiful vocals, then onto Anders BOOM here comes the heaviness as Anders sings his anger, awesomely might I add. Their voices go so perfectly together, sung together in complete harmony for the chorus, the way they sound contradicts each other, and you have no idea how good that sounds. (4/5)

Although I don't remember her name I know it wasn't the girl off of Within Temptation that sung off Dead End. Sure sounds like it though.

Great album. In Flames has yet to make a single album so far that has not impressed me. Listening to Transparent off of Reroute To Remain as we speak. Great review also.

Aside from Take this Life and Crawl Through Knives i dont much care for come clarity... still, a personal opinion and the rest of inflames is great

I didn't really like this album. I know the band took a totally different direction, but, this album could never be compared to albums like The Jester Race, Whoracle or Reroute to Remain. Just not possible. I think on the next album, they should step it up a bit and reclaim the former glory that was In Flames.

What the fuck. This album isn't a 4.5. It's a 3 at the very best. I like melo-death and the whole gothenburg scene, but I realize it doesn't even begin to compare to the aspects of any real metal bands. Gotheburg scene is fun to spin once in a while, and yah maybe they get a 4.5 in listenability, but in actual musicianmanship I give it a 3.

4.5 and even 4 is reserved for bands who play complicated and emotional music, not mainstream metal shit. In Flames may have been a 3.5 or even a 4 in their earlier days but now? Nah, they're a 3 at the best. And this is comming from a guy who likes that shit...

4.5 and even 4 is reserved for bands who play complicated and emotional music, not mainstream metal shit.
Sorry, but I think this is a ridiculous statement.

First off, it's his opinion, so just because in your opinion the album rates a 3 doesn't make his opinion that it's a 4.5 wrong.

Second, being "complicated", "emotional", and "mainstream" doesn't by itself make an album good or bad. While I agree that most mainstream music is crappy, it's pretty closed-minded to assume it's shit and rate it low based on its popularity or lack thereof. I would say that condemning an album because its "mainstream" is just as bad as being one of the sheep that won't listen to music or buy an album unless they've heard it on MTV a zillion times. Ratings are subjective...things I like I rate high, and things I don't like I rate low. If you are basing whether you like something or not on if it's "mainstream", gets played on the radio, or is liked by other people, you're missing the point of what listening to music is about in the first place...enjoyment.

I didn't really like this album. I know the band took a totally different direction, but, this album could never be compared to albums like The Jester Race, Whoracle or Reroute to Remain. Just not possible. I think on the next album, they should step it up a bit and reclaim the former glory that was In Flames.

Yeah, I miss the old Renaissance-influenced melodies, especially in songs like Moonshield and just "The Jester Race" in general. That shit is emotional as fuck. :worship:

Do you realize what a fuckin goof you sound like.... Your arguement is this album sounds good and for that it deserves a 4.5
and yah maybe they get a 4.5 in listenability
but because they aren't playing technical gore grindcore/skullfuck cyber ultra never ending unique riffage they get a 3?
but in actual musicianmanship I give it a 3.
In Flames may not be extremely technical band but they are one of the most emotional bands I've ever heard. Did you even listen to come clarity?
4.5 and even 4 is reserved for bands who play complicated and emotional music, not mainstream metal shit.

So what is it? You like this album. The songs 'sound' good but because they aren't overly technical or complex they lose points with you? Honestly, some of you people need take the stick out of your asses.

Alright heres how it goes. This CD is sick. The songs are amazing. In Flames is badass. And The Jester Race is their best album. If you disagree. I'll fight you.

I think you'd lose. More people despise this album than enjoy it, and those that enjoy it are more than likely little titches who couldn't reach my jaw in a fistfight anyway

hahah im not fighting with him. we just like different kinds of music. and i actually prefer death metal out of everything. soooo if anything it'd be death metal vs black metal

I originally wrote this review here: In Flames - Come Clarity Review - sputnikmusic
I wrote it ages ago, decided I may as well post it here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Flames - Come Clarity

In Flames are band you can't not have heard of, Always having a unique yet different sound for each album, and Come Clarity is no exception.

In Flames Are
Anders Friden - Vocals
Jesper Stromblad - Guitar
Bjorn Gelotte - Guitar
Peter Iwers - Bass
Daniel Svensson - Drums

This is the latest album release for In Flames and is truly one of the more memorable ones despite others like Reroute To Remain or Soundtrack To Your Escape. This album mixes with melody and chugging riffs which keep hitting you beyond content. I will do a track by track based review, purely for the fact that each track deserves it

Take This Life - Ah yes, the opening track, starting with a little guitar cling then come the drums, with a slow blast beat (which is ok, Drumming has never been their strong point) and whatya know, you got yourself a death metal riff straight away. The verses contain Anders angrily singing (as he does) emotional lyrics which is followed up by the line before the pre-chorus "make me understand you're there for me". The chorus itself has a consistent harmonic guitar line with Anders singing clean vocals. To me this song seems personal, because obviously it is revolving around the suicide concept (don't worry, they'res still no Emoness) (5/5)

Leeches - Uh-Oh evil leeches, no not really. This song like 'My Sweet Shadow' has some technological effects, which I have no objections to, they can mix quite good with metal. I like Daniels symbol work in this song, It backs up the guitars fantastically. The verse has Anders singing, backed up with all-round drumming (Which means a complete hit of each drum around the kit in consecutive order). The chorus, what more can I say, the man is in pain; Very nice vocals here however. Overall this track does 'it' for me. (4.5/5)

Reflect The Storm - Okay here we go track number 3. This baby maintains a nice harmonic guitar beginning with bass drum and bass guitar synchronization. Anders gives his nice little introduction then WHAM the guitars are chugging, but it soon leads back to beginning riff with added little chugs in between, don't worry, this song only gets better. Anders is singing, he wants the evil, but also objects to it, well to me that&#65533;s what he's saying, Interesting song if you ask me. The chorus is the highlight for me, nice and slow. (5/5)

Dead End - OH god Anders just got castrated...Ohhh wait its a girl, yes this track features the vocal talents of Within Temptation&#65533;s Sharon den Adel. This track has one of the best intros, heavy chugging guitar and double bass drums, and you can also feel the vibration of the bass guitar. I like how they differentiate the music between when Sharon and Anders sing, soft harmony for Sharon's calm beautiful vocals, then onto Anders BOOM here comes the heaviness as Anders sings his anger, awesomely might I add. Their voices go so perfectly together, sung together in complete harmony for the chorus, the way they sound contradicts each other, and you have no idea how good that sounds. (4/5)

Scream - I say scream, you scream, I scream, WE SCREAM FOR ICE-CREAM!. Ok he doesn't say that, but it'd really be something if he did eh? This one opens up with a distorted guitar spasm on a single string (I call fast jolts spasms), Then comes every other instrument (which I'm sure you're all accustom to). A short silence then Anders comes in singing about how ordinary people are, only living for life itself, I agree with this man. The chorus is what its titled, the man is screaming about screaming, enough said. (4/5)

Come Clarity - No jokes here people, this is one of the most beautiful songs I have heard in a long time, I get goose bumps every time I hear it. This masterpiece opens with a compelling acoustic guitar line, you're lost in the song as if it were a dream already. The bass drum and guitar come in playing slowly and peacefully, then comes the other acoustic playing another amazing line. Anders has begun, and I must say his vocals could not be better, the song just flows so perfectly, one never to forget. The chorus of this song is especially why this song will be remembered, an assortment of power chords, slow paced double bass, along with the soothing lyrics:

"I want you to lead me
Take me somewhere
Don't want to live
In a dream one more day"

And before you know it, the solo has come in, keeping to the songs feel they keep it slow, but is it still very amazing. (5/5)

Vacuum - Hello insanity, so good to see you again. This song has no introduction, you're just thrown straight into the madness with everything a-go. It shows you no mercy by continually hitting you with the fast paced riff. But do not fear the chorus gives you time to recuperate. The chorus for this the only way to escape the madness and realise you're not insane, It has Anders giving out some clean vocals, nice and harmonic. (4/5)

Pacing Death's Trail - That&#65533;s right people, the first song on the album without clean vocals, may God help us all. Ah yes the chugging intro filled with guitar spasms, I like! But ofcourse mixed with harmonics, how can you not have harmonics ;)! A very fast paced song, so fast even sometimes you don't even know when the chorus is going. But really who cares these days where and when the chorus is. The verse and chorus maintain similar guitar riffs, but they're both very climatic. (4/5)

Crawl Through Knives - Ahhh....Nope I got nothing. Alongside 'Come Clarity' this is one of my favourite songs on the album. A simplistic yet cool intro for this song which is then sped-up to bring you yet another dun dun dun...! chugging riff, this is also the point where Anders begins to sing. He keeps his good grisly voice for the verses, For some reason I thoroughly enjoy the pre-chorus where he says "Could it be the things I need?", and ofcourse I love the chorus itself, its melodic, its got all-round drumming, a consistent guitar chord riff , what more could you ask for? (5/5)

Versus Terminus - I don't know who Terminus is, and why they would want to hurt him, but hey, I'm sure he deserves it. I like the drum work in the intro, and quick guitars, it all goes together well. This song is one of the most harmonic on the album, not as much chugging...boo hoo for me. The chorus is amazing though. We got guitar chugging over here, and over whelming harmonics over there, Huzzah I say, my hat goes off to In Flames for yet an another amazing song. (5/5)

Our Infinite Struggle - Don't worry boys and girls, we're on the home stretch, only 3 songs to go. Bam bam bam intro on the snare drum and were in the harmonic guitars of yet another great song. There is pain during the verse and chorus of this song coming from Anders, I doubt it's a personal matter but you can tell he wants you to feel it, emphasised best in the chorus "You should realise, it hurts in me too". (5/5)

Vanishing Light - Hooray, some more chugging <3. You heard right, another song that has no break down, it just keeps going constantly, straight into your brain. I am impressed with the guitarists abilities to maintain the speed through out the whole song, also the several key changes. Like Pacing Death's Trail, its hard to pick when the chorus is, but as I also said, Who cares :D. Great Song. (4.5/5)

Your Bedtime Story Is Scaring Everyone - Not me, I'm a big boy. I can't really say much about this song, it is ofcourse more like an outro than an actual song. It starts with some distorted screeching, then a piano harmony with a very faint voice overlapping it, NO idea what the guy's saying. The song goes for 5:18 and 3 quarters of the song is the piano harmony, only when you get to about the last 1 and a half minutes a song actually begins, slow paced chugging of the guitar, and Anders' vocals are kinda weird he like goes low HIGH low HIGH, but it still sounds cool, no real objections to this song besides the piano piece being far too long, it at least could have been different besides always being the same little piece over and over. (4/5)

Overall this album is Mega, I recommend this to everyone, you won't regret it. (4.5/5)

Oh in regards to my review, this is my first one. You don't like my style? well...go and die (not really, please don't hate me) , if you like...well hey I like you too.

This review is an enjoyable read, and explains well why you like the album. Consise and to the point.

In Flames sucks now imo. Their first three albums are excellent.