In Flames – Come Clarity

I originally wrote a less than flattering review of this album, now while my opinion has not changed that much, I feel I was being stupid. I can say I don't like something without getting all insulting about it. Here are the reasons I don't like this album.

1. There is no originality to the vocals, lyrics or style, and the band seems to not care anymore and just want to either capitalize on a pre- fabricated sound that a business model shows will sell, or are just out of material all together.

2. For me it has been impossible to make it through an entire song. This album does have better guitars than than their last one, but still has tons of mallcore "chugging" guitar riffs, especially the first song (why? this band has great guitar players!).

3. Ander's newfound screamo voice, that sounds a lot like Marilyn Manson, returns again. Now I could go on and on about how he sounded 10x better before, I won't. It was ok for R2R, but now I just can't take it anymore!!! GROWL ALREADY! Please! We miss you.

I give this album 4/10 for the vocals and 7/10 for the return (kinda) of their dual melodic guitars, although I think I will go listen to Colony again.

how about this if u like the album then woo hoo, if u dont i dont care. people such as myself like the all the material they putting out. and i dont give a shit what you people think.

40% Clayman , 40% Reroute ,melody and speed wise anyway, 20% everything else theyve done.
female vocals present for the first time not since Lunar Strain and acoustics as well on a couple tracks, some just clean guitar passages. Lots of speed. Lots of speed that will remind you of a mix of Food For THe Gods and Egonomic, not as thrashy as FFTG , but none the less still fast. Where STYE felt slower paced, CC revs that up to about 3 songs that are slow to mid paced and even then they are still faster than some of the stuff on STYE. Oh and Vanishing Lights riffing sounds very helloweenish in several parts. I dont know why but something about that song just makes me think Helloween. And thats a good thing because i love Helloween. Anders clean vocals arent as prevelant as people are saying, if you notice they are mostly overlaped with his screaming as well. Multiple vocal tracks on almost ever song.

THis is almost a 10 star affair for me , its pretty damn close and to all those who are the old school die hards well this album is catchy as fuck so just enjoy it for what it is, really kick ass melodic metal. I have all their albums and contiune to love this band till the day i die. I loved Reroute and Stye well folks this brings back memories of when i first purchased Colony and that is a good thing. Theres passion here again. This feels like the album that shouldve come after Clayman.

I know that it's not cool to like In Flames anymore (at least in the eyes of some moronic metal heads), but I just dont' give a fuck. Come Clarity is immensely better than STYE. It's catchy as hell and it's fun to listen too. It's not pop. It's not emo. It's not metal core. It's In Flames in 2006. They're not going to write another Whoracle, and no one should expect them to do so. But they've managed to find the mix of aggressiveness and melody of old and for me this album is DEFINITELY a keeper.

I agree with what a lot of people have said, it's not their best work. But we should probably face facts, they're never going to produce another Clayman or Whoracle (or even Colony for that matter). For starters it kicks the arse off "Soundtrack to Your Escape" and that all i wanted it to do, anything more is a bonus. A lot of it's relaltivley standard, but you have to admit there are a few stand out tracks on it, mine would be Dead End, Leeches and the frankly stunning Crawl Through Knives, best song they've made since System on Reroute. I think it's a genuinley good album, yes i expect better from In Flames and they need to step up their game, but i see this as a sign of a second revival.

Musicianship: 10
Atmosphere: 10
Production: 10
Originality: 8
Overall: 9

1. Take This Life - 12/10
2. Leeches - 10/10
3. Reflect the Storm - 12/10
4. Dead End - 8/10
5. Scream - 7/10
6. Come Clarity - 11/10
7. Vacuum - 12/10
8. Pacing Death's Trail - 8/10
9. Crawl Through Knives - 12/10
10. Versus Terminus - 8/10
11. Our Infinite Struggle - 10/10
12. Vanishing Light - 9/10
13.Your Bedtime Story is Scaring Everyone - 8/10

Come Clarity is a return to form for In Flames, they haven't completely abandoned their new musical touches; much of this album balances heavy stuff with delicate melody. The album begins "Take This Life," which is bursting at the seems with fast drumming and fiery riffs. "Scream" is an appropriately named track, because frontman Anders Friden screams in a very angry tone throughout, while the guitarists Bjorn Gelotte and Jesper Stromblad provide awesome riffs. The walloping "Pacing Death's Trail," "Crawl Through Knives", the scorching "Versus Terminus," and the pounding "Vanishing Light" are a few other brutal tracks. The cd has more singles for second or more music videos like "Leeches", "Reflect the Storm", "Crawl Through Knives", & the ballad "Come Clarity" than the last 2 cds.

Andy C said:
YBut were they disasters? No. They still kicked the shit outta 99% of the bands out there.
:erk:

Andy C said:
But "Come Clarity" should settle the question once and for all as to the No.1 most influential and prestigous band in the death metal realm today.
smile_laughoutloud.gif
smile_hilarious.gif
smile_rofl.gif

Andy C said:
But "Come Clarity" should settle the question once and for all as to the No.1 most influential and prestigous band in the death metal realm today.
It cant be possible for somebody to think that, it is utter bollocks and if you think that your view on music is very diverse they can barely even be called death metal since the catastrophe that was Reroute and Soundtrack maybe they are redeming themselves with Come Clarity but the have a long way to go.

In Flames is dead. The new album is some kind of emo-metalcore shit. IF is soooooo dead. :wave: :cry: . Which is a pity, because once they were a pretty fucking amazing band. But not anymore.

This album is definetly better than STYE, but it still SUCKS. Big time. It's worse than hearing COB'a AYDY?. And that's saying A LOT.

People who think that this album is good, they have absolutely no clue what "good music" is…

Clayman is still their best album