In Flames – Come Clarity

In Flames – Come Clarity
Nuclear Blast Records – NB132889 - 03.02.2006
By Sam Brokenshaw

202_202.jpg

Let's not beat around the bush here, in recent times In Flames have become something of a laughing stock amongst the harder nucleus of the metal scene in general. Back in the days of grandiose epics such as '97's "Whoracle" and the earlier "Jester Race," In Flames successfully managed to straddle the line between commercial ambition and an intensity that solidified them as a key group in the hearts and minds of many metal fans. However, in recent times, the band's trend towards more commercial climes and, gulp, boiler suits, has alienated the more old school crowd. To the ears of many "Soundtrack to Your Escape" and "Reroute to Remain" were ultimately banal and lifeless in comparison to the band's classic era work.

Fast forward to 2006 and we get "Come Clarity". The first track, "Take this Life" kicks in and it's apparent something has changed here. The old ferocity is back in spades. Also apparent is a return to the guitar harmonies of old, the interplay between guitarists Jesper Strömblad and Björn Gelotte really stands out as an improvement over recent works. "Come Clarity" is not a total turn back to the tired ritual of yesteryear however, it manages to coherently enmesh the more modern stylistic trappings of the last two albums with the musical density of old. The title track also manages to bring the acoustic explorations ala "Reroute..." back into the fold. This time though, they fit and work with the material. Part of the reason for this is a seeming marked improvement in the polished vocals of Anders Fridén. He'll never be the next Mikael Åkerfeldt, but his level of competence here is above the bands former works.

The album more or less inhabits the form one would expect from a melodic death metal opus, the catchy chorus meets the scathing verse riff ad infinitum. Whilst there is really not a lot of variation here it tends to work for the album rather than against it. You might be skeptical, but give "Come Clarity" a spin, you may just be surprised.

7.5/10

In Flames' Official Website
Nuclear Blast's Official Website

Ive been a die hard fan since Whoracle and if this beats out STYE and REROUTE which I both liked then this is gonna be totally kick ass for me.

IN FLAMES RULES NO MATTER WHAT AND THATS A FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THEIR ONE OF THE BEST METAL BANDS IN THE WORLD.... PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

man this album is amazing...a couple songs arent to good...like vaccum...but mostly yes its amazing...the song...reflect the storm...i would defintily rate as one of the best ones on the album

It's nice to hear a proper drum said back in use rather than the fucking fart machine they used in soundtrack, i've liked all of there albums so far and to me, this leans more towards re-route than it does soundtrack, it's a good sounding album, but still no whoracle. But I would definately says it's worth speanding a few pennies upon!!!!!!!!!!

You know, what's more annoying than the direction In Flames took in the last 2 albums, is the horde of so-called "fans" who think that now the COOOOOLEST thing in the world to do is to jump off the bandwagon now that it's got a little bigger for In Flames, and diss the band at every opportunity.

Were Soundtrack and Reroute inferior albums to the standard they had previously set? Perhaps. But were they disasters? No. They still kicked the shit outta 99% of the bands out there.

But "Come Clarity" should settle the question once and for all as to the No.1 most influential and prestigous band in the death metal realm today. This album is uncompromising, and features more mind-spinnin' melodies than you can digest. The twin-guitar attack, the tight and passionate drums, and the complex song structures are all back. This album is filled with classics.. absolute MONSTER songs.

I give the album 9.5 out of 10, and I've been a fan of In Flames since 1996, way longer than those IDIOTS who will dismiss this band as "nu metal", the idiots who are at best 20 years old and have bought a ton of "nu metal" CD's... of which I possess none.

Enough said.. and WELCOME BACK IN FLAMES YOU ROCK!!!!!!

The band is fucking amazing and always will be. The album is great, and to answer the question of how we heard the album, I was sent the whole thing - nevertheless I have already reserved a copy of the album on play.com, so I do support the band!

The album is a stormer, every fan should own a copy. Admittedly it is nowhere near the standards of Colony and Jester Race but it is a great metal album nonetheless. Buy it!

Andy C said:
You know, what's more annoying than the direction In Flames took in the last 2 albums

Yes. People that think this:

But "Come Clarity" should settle the question once and for all as to the No.1 most influential and prestigous band in the death metal realm today.

and say retarded shit like this:

and I've been a fan of In Flames since 1996, way longer than those IDIOTS who will dismiss this band as "nu metal", the idiots who are at best 20 years old and have bought a ton of "nu metal" CD's... of which I possess none.