In flames Pickups

Blackthorned

Jan 23, 2004
This has probably come up before but can anyone tell me the pickups that Jepser and Bjorn use? Am I correct in assuming that Bjorn plays an ESP Eclipse as his main guitar? Any help appreciated!

Well, Bjorn used to play a custom ESP Eclipse, and Jesper played an ESP Explorer...But now they both play Gibsons. Bjorn plays a Les Paul Custom, and Jesper plays a Voodoo Flying V...they still use the same pickups that they used in their ESP's though - I think they're EMG 81's and 85's...could be wrong on that, but I'm pretty damn sure.

Ah 81 and 85 - the choice of a generation! Thanks for that Bozz. I really like the Eclipse. Esp make great guitars.

Unfortunetaly ESP doesn't create it's own modells.
They only copy and slightly change famous guitars of other companies...

EXP = Gibson Explorer
Eclipse = Gibson SG
KH1 = Jackson Soloist

I doubt that they are that much better than the original (if at all...)

@headcrusher: the Eclipse is a les paul and the viper is the sg. and ive played both esp and gibson models, and i prefer the esps over the gibsons any day. as for the soloist, that and every other guitar on the market are just a cop off of the strat.

Jackson has alsol copied all previous existing guitars, the only difference is jackson makes the guitars with more curves and sharper points

Zero888 said:
@headcrusher: the Eclipse is a les paul and the viper is the sg. and ive played both esp and gibson models, and i prefer the esps over the gibsons any day. as for the soloist, that and every other guitar on the market are just a cop off of the strat.

Jackson has alsol copied all previous existing guitars, the only difference is jackson makes the guitars with more curves and sharper points
Sorry, you're right of course, i mixed it up...
So why are the Esps better?
As for the Jackson - Strat - Rippoff thing: ok, there were these two guitars (les paul, strat) in the beginning. nevertheless I wouldn't say that the others are rippoffs. The Jacksons are Superstrats with a floyd rose, at least one humbucker and so on. So I'd say the improved the strat a lot!

HeadCrusher said:
Sorry, you're right of course, i mixed it up...
So why are the Esps better?
As for the Jackson - Strat - Rippoff thing: ok, there were these two guitars (les paul, strat) in the beginning. nevertheless I wouldn't say that the others are rippoffs. The Jacksons are Superstrats with a floyd rose, at least one humbucker and so on. So I'd say the improved the strat a lot!

In the same respect, ESP has taken the Les Paul, SG, Exlplorer, Strat/Soloist etc. and made them WAY better...Although Jackson's do rule, they're a step down from ESP. Prove it to yourself by comparing a few models the next chance you get.

@headcrusher, there is just something about the esp guitar, its just got this great feeling. my close friend who plays a gibson les paul studio played my low end ltd ec-100 and said it played better than his $1500 gibson

I am planning to purchase a ESP guitar in a few months time, and would like to try and emulate the same sound as Jesper (think "Jesters Race" type of sound).

However i would like some help in deciding on what guitar to buy and what amp to purchase, keeping in mind that i dont want to spend over $900 on a guitar and about $400 on a amp.

I am ordering from this store, so my choices are a bit limited, but its better than nothing.
Thanks in advance guys.

http://www.venuemusic.com.au/SubCategory.asp?CatID=43&SubCatID=109
Guitars

http://www.venuemusic.com.au/Category.asp?CatID=44
amps

Bludgeon said:
I am planning to purchase a ESP guitar in a few months time, and would like to try and emulate the same sound as Jesper (think "Jesters Race" type of sound).

However i would like some help in deciding on what guitar to buy and what amp to purchase, keeping in mind that i dont want to spend over $900 on a guitar and about $400 on a amp.

I am ordering from this store, so my choices are a bit limited, but its better than nothing.
Thanks in advance guys.

http://www.venuemusic.com.au/SubCategory.asp?CatID=43&SubCatID=109
Guitars

http://www.venuemusic.com.au/Category.asp?CatID=44
amps
For a JTR sound you'll need a Gibson Explorer (which Jesper played around that time) and I think a Marshall Amp. No idea which one he used exactly. Nowadays Björn and Jesper play Peavy 5150 Heads through 2 Marshall 4x12 cabs.
As for the guitar-price thing: I'd suggest a Epiphone as this is in the Pricerange. As I sayed I only played an ESP KH once which feeled great actually but the pickups were completely done so I can't tell you about the sound...