In Flames' Recording of New Album

Exsanguis

Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
Hey, I was just surfing around In Flames' site, and found a bunch of pics of the drum tracking from their newest cd sessions. Here's the link . Can anyone tell me any of the mic's? I've always been a big fan of the drum sounds Bergstrand's gotten, and am curious as to what he uses. It seems like there's a lot of Overhead mics up there, but I dunno. Any help or info would be cool.

What kind a mic´s are those on the toms? don´t look like dynamic ones...
and they are so pretty small...*remembers his big-dick-like md421s* :D

Although I found the extremely close placement and large amount of OH's somewhat mystifying, I'm more interested in the mics used. I recognize a few of them, but have never been good at naming them upon sight, unless it's a MD421, 57, or something like that. And as far as the "under-the-water" cymbal sound, I actually like it, as it sounds like it really glues the track together, instead of being more obtrusive. I always seem to like a wash of cymbals instead of each cymbal hit being clear for some reason. Oh well, to each his own.

I understand the idea of separation...but, with cymbols, I would expect a splash, and then a quick sort of dissipation (atleast, that's what I dig...), and when you mic that closely, I don't think you get that sort of effect.

Also - look at Andy's Nevermore micing....those overhead mics are a good bit away from the actual cymbols...

Well, if you look at the respective rooms, you may find a good reason for the difference in placement between Andy and Bergstrand. Bergstrand's room looks like any normal room in someone's house or apartment, while Andy's is a thing of beauty, treated and all that good stuff. My guess is that Bergstrand is aiming for maximum separation, as well as the fact that he probably compresses the OH's a lot, which could potentially bring out the crappy qualities of a small, minimally treated room. By putting them closer, he has minimal room in his OH's. Again, just a guess.

I remember Daniel said in a swedish radio interview that the secret to his drum sound was the sound of the room he recorded them in. I have really liked his sound in the past, and I still do, but I think the productions sound more or less the same and it's starting to get boring. I still prefer his a little more dirty and alive sound over lets say Arch Enemy wich I think has a much too polished and clean drum sound.

The new Soilwork was primarily tracked at Fascination Street(ex-Kuling) instead of all at Dug Out (only drums were done at Dug Out), so that could possibly have led to a different overall sound. I love Bergstrand's work on the new Behemoth, it sounds absolutely gigantic.