In Flames guitar and recording questions.....

Savo

Apr 5, 2006
Hey guys.

I am planning on making a few recordings of some In Flames songs like Gyroscope, Swim etc.... just for myself really to practice on. Im probably just going to stick to using the PODxt for the recordings at the moment so i can do them in the evenings when i get home from work. I havent actually used the POD for recording yet. I just got it for practicing through headphones

Anyway, i have never learned any In Flames songs aside from Trigger and one or two others. My guitars are always tuned to E standard, Eb standard and Drop D. I tuned down to Drop Db once before but the strings were too loose so i hated it.

So im going to tune my Schecter down to C for this because it has 25.5" scale so should help. Will i need to change strings to at least 11s ? Maybe 12s ? (How the hell do they do it on Les Pauls ?)

Anyone tune this low with Passive Pickups ? I have a Duncan Distortion in the Schecter. When the tuning gets this low are EMGs the only way to keep the tightness and clarity ? (I have EMGs in my Edwards Les Paul)

A lot of the leads on the In Flames songs have a unique sound to them - some effects. I am USELESS and dialling in reverb, delay and effects in general. Any tips on getting this sound ? Better still, i know they use PODs for effects through 5150s. Im prob going to record it just with a PODxt for ease. Anyone have any patches they can share or tips on getting good recordings with the PODxt ? Its also possible if i can just get patches with the effects i might use the POD just for effects and use the Engl but that seems like way too much hassle but if anyone has any of the effects set up like this it might be handy so i can try persuade my band to try some of them live and use the effects of the POD into the Blackmore.

If the PODxt clips come out well i might try recording them with my Engl Blackmore into my Engl Pro V30 cab when i have time

Thanks for any help guys.

You're going to need thicker strings. I'd say 12s. I use 12s on a Les Paul all the time, no problem. An active pickup might be nice, but not necessary. I think most of the stuff on In Flames leads are delays, nothing fancy. Try a delay, maybe a stereo delay. If you can, set the delay to a quarter note, or maybe a dotted quarter note, something like that. Get it sounding good to you, and then turn it down, that's normally a good starting point. :D

Thanks

I have 10s on there at the moment but they are due a change anyway so might try some 12s. Never used anything higher than 10s before so should be interesting !