In Flames' Recording of New Album

the phish said:
its the first i've heard of in flames, and i like it alot. though that f(r)iend song is still my favorite

Listen to December Flower if you haven't already! It's older In Flames which I :worship: New stuff is good too but check out that one song...

Im surprised... I dig this new IF album... after not at all digging their last two. STYE had like 3 songs I liked... I think RTR had 1... this is not bad at all, however... guess IF is trying to come BACK. Still Soilwork's turf now, as far as Im concerned though =P

Color me biased.

J

OzNimbus said:
Hey guys, I took a serious look at those overhead mics: They're Nady RSM-2 Ribbons. Look closely: They're hardwired.

Actually, over in Europe they're branded as a "T-Bone" and here in Canada, they're branded "Apex" Regardless, they all come from China!

I just got my hands on one recently, and for metal vocals & heavy rhythms, they're quite cool. I've yet to try it out in the overhead application, but now it's really got my interest peaked.

Oz, I got an RSM-2 a few months ago, but I haven't had much time to play with it. I found it rather dark and unflattering to transients as a room mic on drums, but that's about all I've tried so far.

There are some fairly easy mods (removing internal screens, body damping, transformer swap) for the various Chinese ribbons floating around that might help "lift the blanket" off of these things.

If you haven't heard these, check out the Shiny Box samples in this thread for examples of transformer swapping. I think that's really the way to go if you want to open up the top end:

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?t=36800

I just got a Lundahl transformer in the mail (it was only about $60 US) and I'm going to give it a go if/when I have some free time.

I think I have some more mod info floating around on the hard drive if anyone is interested.

mindglow said:
I remember Daniel said in a swedish radio interview that the secret to his drum sound was the sound of the room he recorded them in.

I got A.D.D. on a mix tonight so I started fucking with DFH2, particularly the room/oh mics (because I can never get them to sound good on a real kit), and I think I figured something out that warrants the resurrection of this old thread for anyone who likes that Bergstrand drum sound.

At the risk of coming off as a pompous beginner, I'll just share what I believe to be correct, and obviously you can't do this without a great room sound.

I think Bergstrand is using those room mics and high shelfing them down really low, like 500hz, maybe even high passing them. This gives the kick, toms, and snare that super fat sub woof sound, hella tight. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I got a mix of mine sounding somewhat Bergstrandish. Anyone know for sure?