In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

day by day im just becoming more excited for this album,artwork is A M A Z I N G names of the songs A M A Z I N G,just to see that studio episode cant wait 18:00 :D

I'll be constantly checking IF's facebook, waiting for the teaser! My expectations are naturally high (C'mon even Ander's says this album is the album of his career), but i'm open to something different!

I heard harmonised guitar in the clip of the title track :), drums sounded KICK ASS as well, even the sampled keyboard stuff sounded hauntingly beautiful, I have faith again after facepalming the album title. Artwork, track titles and now this all point to something very good in store for us...

I heard harmonised guitar in the clip of the title track :), drums sounded KICK ASS as well, even the sampled keyboard stuff sounded hauntingly beautiful, I have faith again after facepalming the album title. Artwork, track titles and now this all point to something very good in store for us...
I agree about everything you said apart from I do think the title is good, the artwork is awesome and the Track Listing was surprisingly good :p

3:21

Well, I'm impressed by what I've heard, even though it's only 15 seconds. Resembles not much of their older stuff (but I'm sure that we all would've expected that anyway) but the 'heavy' part to me sounds like something from STYE which is great. The harmony in the guitars are very nice but IF usually pulls of harmonised guitars very well in general so no surprise there.

So far so good. If they release something that sounds like R2R but with clear, well-audible guitar sounds then I'll be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Artwork and song titles are far superior to ASOP, my hopes are actually raised a little for this...

The only problem i'm having with that harmonised guitar snippet we've heard is that is sounds alot like some of the ones on ASOP. Just listening to that- it could have been taken straight off ASOP and replaced by Drenched in Fear or I'm The Highway.

I'm not complaining- the quality of the one in the video is great, really catchy, maybe i was expecting TOO much of a leap in style from the last album? I'm looking forward to hearing something with heavier riffs and that sweet atmosphere that In Flames' songs create (think of The Quiet Place).

The only problem i'm having with that harmonised guitar snippet we've heard is that is sounds alot like some of the ones on ASOP. Just listening to that- it could have been taken straight off ASOP and replaced by Drenched in Fear or I'm The Highway.

I'm not complaining- the quality of the one in the video is great, really catchy, maybe i was expecting TOO much of a leap in style from the last album? I'm looking forward to hearing something with heavier riffs and that sweet atmosphere that In Flames' songs create (think of The Quiet Place).

My thoughts exactly!
The only thing I don't want to hear is ASOP pt.2. And yes, sample form video sounds very much like a riff from last album, and that is not good.
Its the most boring album and it's not heavy at all (guitar tone especially).
I was really hoping for some changes, after all, they are always talking that they will never repeat themselves with the albums. we'll see...

I agree, i'm all for heavy riffs. That's why i like STYE and CC so much (my favourites of the post-Clayman era).

One thing (okay, another thing) i didn't like about ASOP is that the lyrics were quite dark, emotionally at least, but the guitar harmonies seemed almost happy. Look at I'm the Highways main riff- it's more uplifting than anything. Don't get me wrong i like uplifting music (Killswitch Engage etc), but i don't think it suites In Flames. Dark, moody or at least atmospheric songs are their strength! Look at Free Fall (amazing song)- very unique atmospheric track.

Some interesting shit guys, Anders describing all the tracks on the album: http://truecultheavymetal.com/blog1...ns-album-title-and-gives-track-by-track-guide Judging from what he says there ''All For Me'' sounds very interesting, hell all tracks sound interesting in my eyes. Maybe ''Where The Dead Ships Dwell'' is the new OFTW? :D Also I wouldn't be surprised if ''Deliver Us'' is the most radio-friendly song on the album, much like Was It Worth It? from CoB's latest album. So if I'm somewhat disappointed by that song I think the album will sound different and better. And if I like it, I most likely will love the album :p

I like what he said about guitar solos- if they are just there to make noise there is absolutely no point in them being there. I'm a firm believer that guitar solos should complement the song, take it that little bit further, adding a little twist.

Is this Anders' admitting that the solo work (and instrumental parts) weren't all there on A Sense of Purpose? Because the solos weren't neccessary on that album at all- they were on average about 15 seconds long :err: The best one on the album goes to Sober And Irrelevant.

Sounds like alot more is going into the instrumental sections (like he said about the earlier Metallica-esque use of instrumental interludes), which is great news! And i like the use of synths in metal- i think they add energy to songs and can compliment heavy riffs really well (My Sweet Shadow comes to mind, and alot of Soilwork songs from Figure Number Five)

ALL FOR ME

“That's a heavy track. For me, it's a real heavy metal song – a little bit slower than the rest, with some heavy riffing. It's one of the heaviest songs that we've ever done, and maybe one of my best vocal performances!”

i cant fucking wait to hear that

In Flames deliver us sample (taken from amazon)
I have listened to it like 35+ times now and I like it a lot now. It sounded weird at first, but I got used to it. It's still hard to judge on something so short though, and without hearing the chorus =)

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounded exactly how i thought it would sound- there is an air of genius surrounding it!

Vocals sound like Passenger (which is not a bad thing at all- in my opinion their self-titled album was Ander's best vocal performance of his career). It's as though the vocals are clean, but still have a rawness that i like! Like Anders is spewing them out!

Although i'd like to hear more, the guitars in that 30 second clip sound like a great mix of melodic harmony (A Sense of Purpose) and crunchy riff (STYE and Come Clarity).

Amazon have the preview for the single already? Can't just release it already??? :eek:

Off to listen to the preview again!

woooow,for me it sounds nothing like asop,vocals arent whining anymore,anders found his new voice which is amazing

New vocals are awesome. Not whining or strained screams and if he sings like that throughout the whole album then it's going to be so much better than ASOP.

Also, for like the first half second you can heard a harmonised riff being ended and that heavy riff is just good. Can't wait!

The guitar sound is suprisingly similar to ASOP, but is much more mature and has a heavy undertone to it (which i love, it seems to weave in and out of the keyboards in that 30 second clip). It shouldn't be suprising really. Although Anders' said that Soundtrack to Your Escape and Come Clarity didn't feel like a group effort (Bjorn and Jesper weren't communicating very well and the band wasn't a strong unit) and ASOP was more unified- i also heard that Bjorn wrote much of ASOP himself.

Also, Jesper had no part in the writing of Self Vs Self, it was only Bjorn and Peter who contributed to the collaboration with Pendulum (and of course Anders writing his screamed parts). Perhaps this was due to Jespers on-going personal problems, but the guitars turned out awesome anyway. I guess having one person writing and recording dual guitars isn't always a bad thing!

I applaud you Bjorn! :worship:

As an In Flames' Fanboy here, I'm pleased for what I'm hearing. I honestly enjoy every album so far even if some weren't up to par I still find things to like. I love the weird tribal/melodic poppy passage at the end of the video. And the 30 second clip gave me a boner. I can't wait to hear the Solos and Anders on this album.

Yeah his voice sounds a bit less whiney. Sounds like he might have nailed the hard rock yell-singing thing, which can be pretty cool if done right.

The production sounds way better than ASOP, ASOP seriously sounds like it was missing balls in the production but it seems like it's back on that clip.

I hope that the background music heard on the studio episode is part of their album, because I think a direction into dark atmospheric stuff would be awesome, kind of like Dark Tranquillity but in In Flames style.

The guitar sound is suprisingly similar to ASOP, but is much more mature and has a heavy undertone to it (which i love, it seems to weave in and out of the keyboards in that 30 second clip). It shouldn't be suprising really. Although Anders' said that Soundtrack to Your Escape and Come Clarity didn't feel like a group effort (Bjorn and Jesper weren't communicating very well and the band wasn't a strong unit) and ASOP was more unified- i also heard that Bjorn wrote much of ASOP himself.

Also, Jesper had no part in the writing of Self Vs Self, it was only Bjorn and Peter who contributed to the collaboration with Pendulum (and of course Anders writing his screamed parts). Perhaps this was due to Jespers on-going personal problems, but the guitars turned out awesome anyway. I guess having one person writing and recording dual guitars isn't always a bad thing!

I applaud you Bjorn! :worship:

I remember in the ASOP studio episodes, the producer removed the tube screamer from the amp, which I think is a bad move since adding an overdrive pedal behind an amp gets you a very good tone. Maybe they didn't on this album. I donno, ASOP's tone wasn't bad but it lacked balls.