In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

Wow, new song is fu*ing great! It sounds...fresh! Great keyboards and atmosphere, loud and aggressive drums, good solo (although the begging sounds like something out of ASOP song), Anders finally sings like he suppose to. I like the production and I like the songwriting. Another thing, the guitars are less prominent, but the overall song is better.

It's like a mix of post-Clayman albums (in a good way) with a new twist.

Enjoy it!!! in flames kinda took a new direction, loved it, has a ASOP influence but has more vibe,feel, or edge,
the only remark i have is that the song structure is generic, needs more riffing perhaps, but dont get me wrong I am satisfied:kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
This song would be even better if they didn't compress it into 3.31 length. Is it me or is Bjorn getting a bit lazy with his solos? They are short and quite generic, bend-bend-wah-wah-harmony-end.

Just heard it a couple of times and I love it at the moment at least. The chorus makes half the song, and the solo is awesome and I think Björn has stepped it up a lot. In ASOP the solos was like 10seconds long per average, and they weren't really interesting either. This solo is. And Anders has improved on his clean vocals a lot, and seemingly skipped the whiny sound at the end of sentences, or at least decreased it. At the moment, I've got nothing bad to say about the song.

The only bad thing is that I know I will listen to the song so much now until the release, so that when the album comes I'll be tired of that song probably =/

And also I've heard the title track, and the solo in that song beats this one by miles. So do expect great solos indeed.

I love the chorus, the opening's quite cool as well.

Not a massive fan of Anders' vocals, but they're certainly unique. I hope he hasn't ditched the screams completely.

The problem with Anders is that he's trying to sing something that's obviously not in his vocal range or just not logical. So he can never sing OFTW the right way, he can never sing new stuff really well because it's all layers, effects and vocal harmonies. Sometimes it's painful to listen him live. When you think of it, it's quite interesting that IF are giving vocals more and more time on new records, even though they don't have a really good vocalist.

This brings me to my next point... How the hell are they going to preform this live? For "Deliver us" it's more useful to have two keyboard players live than two guitar players. Well, it's a good song anyway. I want to hear more! :headbang:

The problem with Anders is that he's trying to sing something that's obviously not in his vocal range or just not logical. So he can never sing OFTW the right way, he can never sing new stuff really well because it's all layers, effects and vocal harmonies. Sometimes it's painful to listen him live. When you think of it, it's quite interesting that IF are giving vocals more and more time on new records, even though they don't have a really good vocalist.

I agree, he does struggle to perform vocals live now. It never ruined my experience of watching In Flames (in fact I only noticed he was poor during their Bloodstock 2007 set where they were drunk and fucked up a lot of songs) but you definitely notice it on live vids.

I don't see why they haven't hired a proper keyboard player by now. They've used keyboards prominently since Colony, why not draft somebody in? Pre-recorded keyboards tracks live are lame.

I agree, he does struggle to perform vocals live now. It never ruined my experience of watching In Flames (in fact I only noticed he was poor during their Bloodstock 2007 set where they were drunk and fucked up a lot of songs) but you definitely notice it on live vids.

I don't see why they haven't hired a proper keyboard player by now. They've used keyboards prominently since Colony, why not draft somebody in? Pre-recorded keyboards tracks live are lame.

They always said they never wanted a line-up change, but not that they were forced to, I don't see why they shouldn't. Keyboards and samples have become a staple of the band for twelve years now.

I've also always wondered why they never had live back-up vocals, as opposed to piping everything in live. Perhaps Bjorn, Jesper and Peter can't do vocals but now than Engelin is in the band, why the hell not?

How? Where? :OMG:
Sorry can't say. And no, I can't share. I can however say that the song is fucking awesome and probably one of the best on the album. And Deliver Us is removed from YouTube yes, even my 30sec sample that I took from Amazon got removed and I got a copyright infringement warning which is retarded. One more warning and my YouTube account gets deleted for good =/ So I don't dare to upload any coming samples of the album or something, I'll do it on a fake acc if anything.

They always said they never wanted a line-up change, but not that they were forced to, I don't see why they shouldn't. Keyboards and samples have become a staple of the band for twelve years now.

I've also always wondered why they never had live back-up vocals, as opposed to piping everything in live. Perhaps Bjorn, Jesper and Peter can't do vocals but now than Engelin is in the band, why the hell not?
Because neither Björn or Jesper is comfortable doing backup vocals, that's why :)

Björn actually has a nice singing voice apparently. But IF doesn't have that many groupshouts in their music so back-up vocals isn't really THAT needed.

In theory, IF would need 7-8 people on the stage to do songs properly without relying on prerecorded stuff. But, as Krofius said it's not really that important. I'm just afraid that if their songs become even less guitar oriented, live performances will sound weak and empty. Anders has a rather unique voice and style, but his voice is not that strong or consistent to "carry" the songs. I would really like if he could take some vocal lessons and form a style that won't sound out-of-tune/whiny/unpleasant.

It would be so funny seeing Anders, Bjorn, Peter and Niklas doing Bodom style groupshouts. :lol:

@krofius

If you can't post the song, can you at least describe it in words? Short-long, radio friendly or not, fast-slow, some notable riffs etc, maybe compare it to same earlier IF recordings?

Sorry to bother you, but I (and I guess all other people here) really want to know what's the new album like.