In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

It's great to see more activity in these threads- i just wish more of you would stay around and discuss all matter of In Flames with us regulars, instead of trying to sponge unreleased songs from us :lol:

Wait till 7th of May and fork out a quid. You'll have it in amazing quality then too, aswell as helping out the band financially.

There is a 320kbps rip of Deliver Us leaked online.

Anyway, I have listened to it a couple of times by now, and I dont know what to think. Untill Anders kicked in, I could've sworn that it was Engel instead of In Flames. Melodies have totally different feel. Guitars still sound weak (as on ASOP), and they are actually even less audiable in the mix than on ASOP. On the other hand, vocals arent whiny anymore, but its basicaly all cleans now, and not a single scream in the entire song. And not just vocals-wise, entire song lacks agression.

While I am dissapointed a bit, it sounds better than songs on ASOP, so we will see. I am not expecting anything, but still want to hear the whole album :)

I really like what they did with guitar sound. This is how ASOP should have been done. Yes, it has no real bite and aggression in guitar sound, but this time guitars sound more open and natural. Overall, everything is very nicely mixed. Still a mainstream sound, but a good one.

I still don't recognise any of the vocals sung on Deliver Us as 'clean vocals'. They may not be screams or growls, but they are far from what i consider 'cleans'. Clean vocals are the title track of Come Clarity and chorus of Reflect the Storm and Crawl through Knives. In fact i don't consider there to be any clean vocals on ASOP at all, except for the spoken word-esque The Chosen Pessimist.

The vocals on Deliver Us are more like the half-scream, half-shouts similar to those found on ASOP. But way better, more gruff and the notes are held much longer (sounds like Anders has been giving his lungs a workout, perhaps the vocal training we heard about previously?). Not only this but the lyrics are much more clever, meaningful and memorable, bringing to mind the days of Clayman, Reroute to Remain and STYE.

Also: i saw the tracklisting and the corresponding song lengths on Wikipedia and i am ecstatic that there are multiple songs running over 5 minutes long! Never mind that fact that most are over 3 minutes long! This means more of everything crammed into each song and more In Flames!

I've listened to Deliver Us a couple of times now. Am I the only one who think that the drums and the solo sounds a bit like clayman-era? It's so teasing to just be able to listen to one track atm. gaaah!

I still don't recognise any of the vocals sung on Deliver Us as 'clean vocals'. They may not be screams or growls, but they are far from what i consider 'cleans'. Clean vocals are the title track of Come Clarity and chorus of Reflect the Storm and Crawl through Knives. In fact i don't consider there to be any clean vocals on ASOP at all, except for the spoken word-esque The Chosen Pessimist.

The vocals on Deliver Us are more like the half-scream, half-shouts similar to those found on ASOP. But way better, more gruff and the notes are held much longer (sounds like Anders has been giving his lungs a workout, perhaps the vocal training we heard about previously?). Not only this but the lyrics are much more clever, meaningful and memorable, bringing to mind the days of Clayman, Reroute to Remain and STYE.

Also: i saw the tracklisting and the corresponding song lengths on Wikipedia and i am ecstatic that there are multiple songs running over 5 minutes long! Never mind that fact that most are over 3 minutes long! This means more of everything crammed into each song and more In Flames!

yeah its not really clean singing more like "yelling" kind of thing. But I wish there would be some scream in the song, even if its the RTR whine kind of scream.

god i miss Soundtrack To Your Escape... :erk:

I heard the full song of Deliver Us, the one minute preview (if you got to hear it) is more or less the whole song.

There's a nifty intro and very, very good solo. After the solo there's this harmonised part for like 15 seconds - and I shit you not - sounds VERY similar to their Colony/Clayman era material.
Also, the heavy, crunchy riff in Deliver Us is amazing because it contrasts so well to the rest of the song.

Literally can't wait for the album.
Hey now that you name it, I noticed as well, holy fuck that's awesome. Just like in the song SOAPF there's something that sounds like it could come straight out of Clayman or even Colony.
Don't underestimate Björn. I think we are in for a fucking good album. About his vocals, well it's a scream, but without the raspy part. But he screams some too. He screams for real in Deliver Us in the lyric line ''Or decide'' around 1:06, and also he growls DELIVER US when Anders talks/mumbles silently later in the song.
Throwing a little bit of Clayman into the songs? Well, that's undoubtedly fine by me Björn! =) And I almost jizz in my pants seeing as there is so many solos to look forward to since almost every song has one in them.

Also, everyone who likes the song, should definitely buy it. I mean it costs approximately 1dollar. On Amazon you can buy the song + Digital Booklet (lyrics) for $0.89, that's very cheap. I'll definitely buy it at least.

I've listened to Deliver Us a couple of times now. Am I the only one who think that the drums and the solo sounds a bit like clayman-era? It's so teasing to just be able to listen to one track atm. gaaah!

sounds very similar to clayman,krofius was right.

Hey now that you name it, I noticed as well, holy fuck that's awesome. Just like in the song SOAPF there's something that sounds like it could come straight out of Clayman or even Colony.
Don't underestimate Björn. I think we are in for a fucking good album. About his vocals, well it's a scream, but without the raspy part. But he screams some too. He screams for real in Deliver Us in the lyric line ''Or decide'' around 1:06, and also he growls DELIVER US when Anders talks/mumbles silently later in the song.

I'm just glad that they seem to skip the whiney vocals from ASOP which I didn't like. It's nothing like that in Deliver Us at least. Clean vocals, scream-cleanish vocals it's nothing bad with that as long as he do it well.

I'm just glad that they seem to skip the whiney vocals from ASOP which I didn't like. It's nothing like that in Deliver Us at least. Clean vocals, scream-cleanish vocals it's nothing bad with that as long as he do it well.
There's none of that in SOAPF or Ropes either. SOAPF has quite a bunch of screams also. Ropes on the other hand, is a completely clean-sung track, and I'm sure the song will be hated as fuck :p I've grown to like it, and it has the one of the best IF intros I've ever heard, it sounds 100% melodeath actually.

I think saying it sounds at any point like anything on Clayman is stretching it :D it's okay, but I already know I won't be listening to it in 6 months. It's the 'single' though so that doesn't bother me so much. It's catchy at least, solo is nice.

Interested in hearing the rest of the album, I think it'll be better than this.

Yeah krofius, you really are killing us man, lol. I loved everything In flames put out, everything from lunar strain/subterreanian to ASOP, in different ways. this album surely is starting to sound very "inspired" unlike how ASOP was written... seems like there won't be a single boring song on this record.

@Krofius, your reviews of the songs just get me more frustrated that I need to wait so long for the album :p
Well it sure works, people are getting amped up as fuck :D Including me.
It's nice to see more than 4-5 people posting on the forum now as well, hopefully people will stay ^^ Damn 5weeks seems so far away. 8 days until a new studio episode though =) And something that seems to be a huge improvement over ASOP, just like Dantess said, is the lyrics. They are really clever in Deliver Us, of the lines of been able to hear and decipher that is.

I think saying it sounds at any point like anything on Clayman is stretching it :D it's okay, but I already know I won't be listening to it in 6 months. It's the 'single' though so that doesn't bother me so much. It's catchy at least, solo is nice.

Interested in hearing the rest of the album, I think it'll be better than this.
Anders said it was not the typical In Flames song, and judging from it being the single, it probably is the most mainstream one. I know it will get played a lot in Sweden on our Rock/Metal station, like all previous IF singles has. And the title track sounds way more aggressive. So I think the album as a whole will be more aggressive than Deliver Us. Also I'm dying to hear ''All For Me'', Anders stated it's one of the heaviest tracks they've done, not the fastest, but heaviest. Also he said one of his best vocal performances is in that song.

So everyone might hate me for this but...I can still watch the "Deliver Us" video.

You see, I left the tab for the video open on my computer this morning, and it still plays as long as I don't go away from it.

I won't be closing THAT tab for a while.

So everyone might hate me for this but...I can still watch the "Deliver Us" video.

You see, I left the tab for the video open on my computer this morning, and it still plays as long as I don't go away from it.

I won't be closing THAT tab for a while.

I don't hate you for that, I got the song on my iPod and will buy it anyway. :lol: