In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

In theory, IF would need 7-8 people on the stage to do songs properly without relying on prerecorded stuff. But, as Krofius said it's not really that important. I'm just afraid that if their songs become even less guitar oriented, live performances will sound weak and empty. Anders has a rather unique voice and style, but his voice is not that strong or consistent to "carry" the songs. I would really like if he could take some vocal lessons and form a style that won't sound out-of-tune/whiny/unpleasant.

It would be so funny seeing Anders, Bjorn, Peter and Niklas doing Bodom style groupshouts. :lol:

@krofius

If you can't post the song, can you at least describe it in words? Short-long, radio friendly or not, fast-slow, some notable riffs etc, maybe compare it to same earlier IF recordings?

Sorry to bother you, but I (and I guess all other people here) really want to know what's the new album like.
Well okay I can do a super-shitty review of the title track (I have only heard it in semi-bad/good quality. I reviewed it for another guy so I will just copy it here.

Starts off with a beautiful acoustic intro that have some parts that actually reminds me of older IF acoustics. The acoustic intro lasts for 53sec~ and then the guitars and everything else kicks in for a melody, and I'm not kidding you when that part sounds like something coming straight off Colony/Clayman, has the exact same style of melody.

After that lasts for 15-20sec, then there is another transition to another riff, I can't really explain how it sounds, but it's headbangable (lol), and it sounds like modern IF.

Then comes the verse, Anders screams more in the verses than in Deliver Us. Then the chorus comes, and it's equally, if not even better than Deliver Us. Then another verse, then another chorus. Right after the second chorus comes a fucking AWESOME solo by Björn, it's actually kind of a solo ontop of a solo. It's a solo/lead being played, and ontop of that, it's a solo that actually reminds me of a part of the solo in The Hive. It reminds of the part that starts at 3:20 in that song, a bit. And after that solo, the song stops in the file I have. But the song continues for like 1min more, but I don't have that.
So basically I have heard first 3:20 of the song, but the full song is 4:40 or something according to Wikipedia.

I'm no guitarplayer or reviewer so I know this ''review'' might have been shitty. And the song is in low quality but you can hear the instruments and vocals and all really well though. Keep in mind this is just my interpretation and yours might be totally different.

And DON'T ask me for a link cause it's not going to happen. And it's not worth it, you don't want to get used listening to a song in sub par quality cause it will probably ruin the experience of when it's full quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well okay I can do a super-shitty review of the title track (I have only heard it in semi-bad/good quality. I reviewed it for another guy so I will just copy it here.

Starts off with a beautiful acoustic intro that have some parts that actually reminds me of older IF acoustics. The acoustic intro lasts for 53sec~ and then the guitars and everything else kicks in for a melody, and I'm not kidding you when that part sounds like something coming straight off Colony/Clayman, has the exact same style of melody.

After that lasts for 15-20sec, then there is another transition to another riff, I can't really explain how it sounds, but it's headbangable (lol), and it sounds like modern IF.

Then comes the verse, Anders screams more in the verses than in Deliver Us. Then the chorus comes, and it's equally, if not even better than Deliver Us. Then another verse, then another chorus. Right after the second chorus comes a fucking AWESOME solo by Björn, it's actually kind of a solo ontop of a solo. It's a solo/lead being played, and ontop of that, it's a solo that actually reminds me of a part of the solo in The Hive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfu7Lx-F7MA It reminds of the part that starts at 3:20 in that song, a bit. And after that solo, the song stops in the file I have. But the song continues for like 1min more, but I don't have that.
So basically I have heard first 3:20 of the song, but the full song is 4:40 or something according to Wikipedia.

I'm no guitarplayer or reviewer so I know this ''review'' might have been shitty. And the song is in low quality but you can hear the instruments and vocals and all really well though. Keep in mind this is just my interpretation and yours might be totally different.

And DON'T ask me for a link cause it's not going to happen. And it's not worth it, you don't want to get used listening to a song in sub par quality cause it will probably ruin the experience of when it's full quality.

You just raised my expectations big style... if I'm disappointed I'm coming after you, Krofius :p

I've also always wondered why they never had live back-up vocals, as opposed to piping everything in live. Perhaps Bjorn, Jesper and Peter can't do vocals but now than Engelin is in the band, why the hell not?

TBH I've always thought live back-up vocals sound weak. Very few bands seem to pull it off properly, the back-up mics usually seem too low in volume to make any audible difference.

Thanks man!

Sounds really promising. I missed those long acoustic passages, longer solos and stuff. Also, love those solos played atop another melody. Enjoyable for listening and also for playing.

OK, so we arm ourselves with patience and wait for June.

P.S. "headbangable riffs" - I must use that somewhere. :lol:

Thanks man!

Sounds really promising. I missed those long acoustic passages, longer solos and stuff. Also, love those solos played atop another melody. Enjoyable for listening and also for playing.

OK, so we arm ourselves with patience and wait for June.

P.S. "headbangable riffs" - I must use that somewhere. :lol:
:D
Well, it does sound promising, for sure. I think I'll enjoy this album a lot.
The solos seems to be longer than in ASOP, I think the solos in ASOP was basically, to waste, except the ones in Sober & Irrelevant, that ones nice imo. They were so short, seriously around 10seconds, and it's to short to even enjoy or barely notice. in SOAPF they seem to be a lot longer, and better, which is a huge plus, I love solos. Something I have noticed as well is Anders improvement in the clean vocals department. Barely any whiney aftertones thus far.

Left behiind sounds of a playground faadiiiiiing!

You just raised my expectations big style... if I'm disappointed I'm coming after you, Krofius :p
Well remember this is my interpretation! But I doubt anyone will dislike the acoustic intro at least, even the hardcore purists.

It is really a waste not to have solos on IF record. Bjorn (and Jesper) is really talented guitarist with great "feeling" for melody. But, writing solos is real pain in the ass. After some time it becomes hard to invent something new, especially if you don't have a real shredder in the band (and IF don't). I dislike solos on IF records since Clayman (with few notable exceptions).

All this talk of the new songs is giving me a head-ache. I am the only one who hasn't heard Deliver Us yet? Jeez where is it? I can't wait another 3 days! Never mind another month for the album!

And... i have felt that recently IF have been in their best condition on stage. I've heard several videos of Self VS Self and other newer tracks where Anders' vocals sound really clear and smooth. Screams aren't bad either. I've never understood why people dislike the clean vocals live- they are great! They are more gruff and have the balls that you'd expect when you see a band play on stage!

Now, back to Deliver Us... damn Centry Media!

C'mon Krofius, why not just add me/us on msn or something and send us the link or song? :D
Wanna hear the title track even if it is in crappy quality :)

And if not, saw on flashback forum that you had also heard "Ropes", any thought on that song?

Srry for double posting

@ Dantess9226

I always thought of Mikael Akerfeldt vocals as good. Anders is quite the opposite of that. Screamy, whiny, out-of-tune guy that often sounds like his throat is falling apart. Yet, for some strange reason his voice works great with IF music.

@ all

As for CM they are really cu*ts. Whoever leaked that single is doing them a favor. Now I really want to buy and hear the whole album. And maybe IF should have put out more studio/making-of material to keep us happy until release. Six five min episodes is really not much for 3 months wait period. I guess Jesterhead members get more stuff.

Okay i've heard Deliver Us.

My verdict= completely awesome. :loco: It has exceeded my expectations- the riffs are nice and chunky (something that was unfortunately, completely missing in ASOP), not only that- but they meld the dark ambience (synths etc) and the sweetly dark mood of the song (Ander's singing and lyrics) together perfectly. I was too busy digesting the awesomeness of the song to take in the solo- i might have to listen to it again :p

I'm not too bothered about bashing Krofius with emails until he gives in and gives us access to the title track and whatever else he has up his sleeve- i am content, now, knowing there is at least one great track on Sounds of a Playground Fading and probably alot more. Great stuff! :headbang:

Damn, just when you notice the full song is on youtube CM removes it... Can i have the link plz for Deliver Us, I would very appreciate it...

I heard the full song of Deliver Us, the one minute preview (if you got to hear it) is more or less the whole song.

There's a nifty intro and very, very good solo. After the solo there's this harmonised part for like 15 seconds - and I shit you not - sounds VERY similar to their Colony/Clayman era material.
Also, the heavy, crunchy riff in Deliver Us is amazing because it contrasts so well to the rest of the song.

Literally can't wait for the album.

I'm not a big fan of A Sense of Purpose but I've listened to Deliver Us now and I think it's really good. It definitely sounds more dynamic and more interesting than A Sense of Purpose did. If anyone have any other song than Deliver Us from SOAPF can you send me a link or a pm?

GUYS LOOK HERE! I found it on youtube.

the quality isnt the greatest but the song sure is.

Last edited by a moderator: