In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

Scotland.

And I have to say that All for Me's proving an interesting one in that people seem to really love it or really hate it. I'm in the love it camp, I think it's got a pretty good balance of melody and sheer heavy blast to it. It's really atmospheric as well, kinda like the heavy section in Square Nothing in that regard, you can see the dark clouds gathering in your head as it plays. It could have used a few more low growls (so could everything EVER) but Anders' cleans on it are pretty strong. I do see it as Gyroscope for the 21st century, I've listened to them back to back several times and I really feel the same vibe off them...

I'm from North Carolina.

I don't have anything else much to say right now, but I wanted to represent my horribly boring state. :D

I have no idea why people say that modern In Flames starts with Reroute to Remain, when they start to change their style mostly in Clayman.. the heavy use of clean vocals, the less brutality and overall more melody.. yes it's in the same studio/producer area, and they change all that with RtR but they start a dramatic change with Clayman... which is far far far far far far far far from a great album... overproduced vocals, half of which are only really quite whispers...

I'm from Pennsylvania.

I'm probably not going to do a track-by-track breakdown, but I have enjoyed reading everyone's even though I may not agree with some. But "therein lies the beauty." I do like, scratch that, love all the songs, but probably will skip Jester's Door when I'm shuffling my IF playlist (just because it's not really a song). I'm not going to even bother rating it compared to the other albums because it hasn't even released yet. I'll let some months pass and see what kind of staying power it has. Alright, that's a lie. I know it will have staying power, but I mean I'll be able to say where I can rank it. Too much rambling by me. I think I don't want to talk about any of the songs in detail because I don't know them by memory yet. Anyway, I feel sorry for any of you who actually read this whole post.

I have no idea why people say that modern In Flames starts with Reroute to Remain, when they start to change their style mostly in Clayman.. the heavy use of clean vocals, the less brutality and overall more melody.. yes it's in the same studio/producer area, and they change all that with RtR but they start a dramatic change with Clayman... which is far far far far far far far far from a great album... overproduced vocals, half of which are only really quite whispers...

Im sorry but I 100% disagree. Clayman is nothing like what came after. Clayman is still Melodic Death Metal, true to the original In Flames sound. Its very similar to Colony, its almost like a Colony=lite, same style but slightly more accessable. Compare for example, Pinball Map with System, or Clayman to Transparent. You can easily see the huge difference. Now try comparing Pinball Map to Ordinary Story, and Clayman to Coerced Coexistance.

Clayman was NOT a dramatic change no matter what some fans say, in fact its almost too similar to what came before it, it didnt really progressing as much as the previous albums progressed from one another.

Im sorry but I 100% disagree. Clayman is nothing like what came after. Clayman is still Melodic Death Metal, true to the original In Flames sound. Its very similar to Colony, its almost like a Colony=lite, same style but slightly more accessable. Compare for example, Pinball Map with System, or Clayman to Transparent. You can easily see the huge difference. Now try comparing Pinball Map to Ordinary Story, and Clayman to Coerced Coexistance.

Clayman was NOT a dramatic change no matter what some fans say, in fact its almost too similar to what came before it, it didnt really progressing as much as the previous albums progressed from one another.

And I will have to disagree with you, sir. There might be a bigger change from Clayman to R2R than there is from Colony to Clayman, but I think there is still a great difference. Look at the changes from album to album before Clayman, they weren't that big. But then you have a huge shift in vocals and tempo and stuff. But to be honest, I think the "shift" started when they wrote TJR. Now, I started with CC and went backwards, so my ears hear different things because I didn't grow up with their progression, it pretty much hit me all at once. So this is the main reason for my opinions. But I strongly feel that from TJR, they set out to be a band that made a different album each and every time.

Though despite my belief that Colony and Clayman are pretty different, I strangely feel that those two are the closest in how they feel when I listen to them. I don't think it makes any sense, but somehow they "feel" very similar to me, even though I think Clayman changed drastically.

@Jester313 I'm in the same boat and agree for the most part (I started with STYE). But I will add that from the start their sound has changed each time. LS to TJR = huge difference. TJR to Colony = huge difference. Colony to R2R = huge difference. Lunar Strain to ASOP = Is this the same band? You get my point. The reason why IF are my favorite band is because I can listen to the roots of the melodeath genre with LS, Sub, and TJR and if I want a mature piece of metal I can turn to SOAPF. IF are their own genre.

Ku2fM.png

I see a lot of people saying how "the production is perfect". How the fuck is it perfect when you cant even hear the guitars properly in 80% of the time?

i agree with you.

This album is not better than ASOP. Sadly, after 2 solid days of listening to nothing but this cd i have to say overall it's forgettable.

The only real stand out track for me is Fear is the Weakness and Enter Tragedy. A new Dawn and Where The dead ships dwell are both ok but overall the album is pretty meh. :confused: