In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

@A88, I agree completely. Anders is not a natural singer, and has to make up for it largely by using all sorts of layers and effects. It's most noticable live, his attempts to sing are thankfully usually drowned out by guitars and/or backing vocals. Saying that, going from screams to cleans is VERY difficult in a live setting, especially with the length of In Flames' setlists. Even more so considering Anders has probably never really properly trained himself to sing clean. His current 'style' is unique, to say the least, but very hit and miss. It was pretty much miss for the entire of ASOP minus a few parts.

You'll notice though, on the choruses of the songs I noted earlier, Leeches for instance, that there aren't that many layers. There's probably a bit of protools in there (okay, a lot) but it still sounds a LOT more natural when he sings like that than when his whiny singing is backed up by mega-harmonied backing vocals (Alias!!) or strange-sounding effects.

Same for the guitar melodies on TJR and Whoracle ? Haha !

To be fair, from R2R In Flames have said that they're only making songs they can play live, hence the simplification of the instruments... yet have contradicted this stance somewhat by editing Anders' vocals to the point where he can't perform them live without backing tracks :p

Guitar sounds better through distortion and powerful amp, but loud or silent, your still need to hit right notes. It's similar with singing I think. You don't need to be loud, or even to sing lyrics, just listen to SOAPF chorus and sing along with AAAAAAAAA, or OOOOOOOOOO. Eventually, you will hit the right notes, but with Anders it's quite hard.

Growls and screams are a lot easier. As guys from Arch Enemy say - you don't really have to tune it with the rest of the music. Anders is OK while he does growls or straight screams (yet this damages vocal chords I think), but when he does cleans...he encounters a problem - he is not a confident and natural singer. And, as DE4life noticed...it is very hard to switch from growls to cleans live. Don't do it if you can't.

I can play arpeggios in my room if I practice it a lot and feel inspired, but I would never do it live, as I'm not a natural solo guitarist. So I stick to rhythm and melodies. Simple. :)

And, as DE4life noticed...it is very hard to switch from growls to cleans live. Don't do it if you can't.

Mikael from Dark Tranquillity is actually very good at switching back and fourth. However, both styles seems very natural for his voice.

Mikael Åkerfeldt is even better example of that. Its just a matter of practice. Growls, if done right with a proper technique, wont damage your vocal chords. There will be some effect on it, but I'd say thats pretty insignificant if you can still pull off your cleans without a problem (again, fine example of one Mr Mikael Åkerfeldt) :)

Anders just lacks proper training. But as imperfect as his voice is, I dont really see anyone as a better fit for In Flames.

Yeah, Akerfeldt is the best. ;)

But still, can you imagine IF without Anders, as whiny as his voice sounds? Not really. His singing IS unique. Maybe not that good all the time, but certainly unique, just like music IF create.

IMO... In Flames hasn't done a interesting music video since Pinball Map... and out of band performance "videos".... Only for the Weak tops it. Come Clarity was a decent video too. Take This Life was just cheesy.

Also.... Anders just can't sing like this anymore... probably too old or his vocal chords can't take it ....
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AAMye2vAs&feature=related[/ame]

Hey, at least now we know Daniel isn't claustrophobic. :)

It's not bad, but its nothing special either.

About STYE- i like it alot! I'm the opposite of a few guys here... F(r)iend is probably one of my least favourite tracks from the album. Obviously it stands way higher than Bottled. But the rest of the album is great. I don't care whether you call it nu-metal, american metal or what- i just listen to it and enjoy the music. I think STYE was the time when Jesper began to drift from In Flames, creatively at least. That's why, as you guys said, it doesn't contain that 'old magic' that RTR managed to keep a hold of. Technically the songs are much more simplistic, focusing on drums alot (great drumming on that record) and atmospherics/synths with Anders taking the main role as vocalist (as opposed to, say, Whoracle- where the vocals take a back seat to the guitars). STYE is one of my favourite albums for sure, a masterpiece of a heavy-meets-alt metal album.

I think Anders is talented in all of his vocals. The singing on Come Clarity is great in my eyes, the only album he seems to have shown that he has the ability to sing with full-on cleans. Ander has a fuckin' HUGE vocal register. When you look through his career he's pretty much done EVERYTHING, vocally. He definitely has a pair of lungs on him! With the two songs we've heard from SOAPF so far, it seems Anders holds his notes much longer (and i know he can pull it off live, just watch anything from ASOP on youtube and it seems that this clean-scream-yelling is natural to his vocal chords. Else he wouldn't be doing it at all), whereas on ASOP he just seemed to end notes with a whiney drop-off.

I like the Deliver Us video. It beats Alias at least. I thought it sucked at first, but it suprisingly fits the feel of the song and has great imagery. I like Anders' hat though- it suites him, since his dreads were dropped :D

From Mysweetforum.com:

07 - The Attic
The calmest track on the album which reminds, as Björn said, of a nursery rhyme. Its melancholic line and whispered vocals make the track sounds like 'Evil In A Closet'. The drumming is grave and there still is electronic effects added into the mood.

08 - Darker Times

Heavy and powerful riffs and screamed vocals make this track one of the most agressive on the album, with verses a bit Neo and very straight chorus. The melody is less present, except a somptuous solo - again! The end of the track welcomes somes piano keys.

the video overall is ok, but wtf is anders doing? He looks like an idiot, or even worse doing that I don't know even how to call it, emotional dance? lmao.

What a gay video that is :D In Flames are excellent trolls, I've give them that. Release a decent single, then couple it with an incredibly lame video :guh: good thing the video doesn't count for anything, really!