In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

First time I heard In Flames was when I was playing Tony Hawk Underground. Embody The Invisible was a track on there, fucking shit blew my mother fucking brains out with amazement because I've never heard that type of music before. After that, I got Colony & Clayman for christmas or some shit. Great times.

Eh Ante pa ja se jos nadam da ce Flejmsi da gostuju i par stotina km istocnije od boogaloo-a. :) Ako ne, moram autoputem ili kod vas ili na sever.

Now playing (for real): OFTW! Love that song!

A88, dzabe se nadas brate. Budimpesta 25. a Zagreb 26, nas preskacu izgleda. Ne znam sto, nije da je bilo malo ljudi u SKCu kad su dolazili :(

Ma upašćemo onda u drugoj turi. Taman dok pristojno uvežbaju pesme. :)

Wow, you're Indian! That's so awesome! :)

Sorry guys, we just had a short chat 'bout next IF tour. It was easier and shorter not to do it in English.

We could translate it, but somehow I doubt you'll be interested in gigs in Zagreb or Budapest.

so i will start with english again,@a88 you posted comment on my YT channel(eraser979) and subscribed :D:D

Hey everyone!!

1st post here but had to join in after scouting this forum for a few weeks now on all the great updates etc..

Loving the new soapf so far!! A new Dawn is the best piece of metal I've heard In ages and only too glad that it's come from my favourite band of all time!!!

Just hoping this album leaks soon cuz I'm desperate to hear more!! Already pre ordered deluxe package from play.com (cheapest @ £24.99)

In flames we trust!!

As you all know "A New Dawn" now, here are how the two last tracks sounds like:
11. Jester’s Door
The oddest track on the album, with parquet floor noises, whistles, coughings, and a sad, darkened, nearly ghostlike mood. Then we've got an accordion melody and suggestive spoken lyrics by Anders ("The times have changed | I have to defend my actions | The fundation crumbles and I have to leave | Thanks for everything I couldn’t ask for more | I say I love you all but it has vanished"), and there's a really well-done ambiant electro outro, like a movie score.

13. Liberation
The more controversial track on the album. There's a very Rock, nearly Pop, riff reccurrent on the whole track, and the chorus is really radio friendly with some choirs. The song still is really catchy, with many keyboards effects, a Rock-oriented break and, again, a superb solo. The last line of the track is groovy but melancholic.

Oh, I can already feel all the "love" Liberation will get... ;)

Björn has written music since TJR, that was his condition for joining the band.
He actually wrote most of Lord Hypnos & Artifacts. Also Food For The Gods in Whoracle, among other songs.

Jesper WAS the main creative writer from Lunar Strain all the way up to ASOP, although ASOP was much more of a group effort. His own words, not mine.

And the situation is that the old albums is getting some huge overpraising.
Epic song structures, everything is the best etc etc. I think the overpraising has to do with nostalgia & exaggeration. And I don't say this to insult the older albums in any way, it's just that people talk of them as the true masterpieces of the universe. And then there's new IF fans that only likes the Old albums who likes jumping on the ''let's throw shit at New IF'' bandwagon.

Just my 2cents. It's just feels like people are saying ''Oh now Jesper has left the band, all post-Clayman albums wasn barely written by him, and he left because the music sucks'', which is not the reason, and there's no truth to it either.

Jesper had DT, Anders had Passenger. Also Jesper & Björn wrote a lot of music for All Ends, Björn's sisters band.
Those 3 side-project just didn't fit the sound of In Flames. Of course they have some kind pattern, formula or template to follow. They can't just go and write Progressive Gothic Metal. DT is nothing like Old In Flames. Even newer In Flames sounds closer to Old In Flames than DT does, because DT is simply very thrashy fast metal while IF has never been that.

And by the way, please do not turn this into a Old vs New flamewar when it's been such a nice vibe on the forum throughout the last weeks =)

Don't say "people" when it's very clear that it was aimed at me and no one else here.

The old In Flames albums are definitely not "overpraised". They ARE masterpieces. You may not think so, but those old albums are generally considered masterpieces, that's a fact. However, you're allowed to have your opinion, as WE ALSO ARE. Having an opinion is not jumping a bandwagon, that's just ignorant and stupid to say. I find it very insulting of you to say that people who praise the old stuff are either jumping a bandwagon or doing it only due to nostalgia.

There IS a big difference in the music quality between the old stuff and the new. People may prefer the new stuff over the old and vice versa, but the creativity and edge as well as feeling and thought out structures & songs are more present in the old albums.

And, as someone said, while the melodies in the old stuff were much more folk music and Iron Maiden inspired, the melodies done now reminds one much more of hard rock. And what I said is that I prefer the old, which you seem very upset about.

And, why do you think they "have to" follow a certain formula just because they are the band they are? I mean, having that same intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus structure in almost every song IS NOT creative no matter how you put it. Changing things up a little is not going progressive. They weren't called "progressive melodic death metal" before, were they?

Oh, and speaking of me being only nostalgic, as you think. I started listening to In Flames when Clayman came out in 2000. So no, I'm definitely not nostalgic. Also, I really like R2R for what it is, so I'm not someone who hates everything new In Flames.

Don't say "people" when it's very clear that it was aimed at me and no one else here.

The old In Flames albums are definitely not "overpraised". They ARE masterpieces. You may not think so, but those old albums are generally considered masterpieces, that's a fact. However, you're allowed to have your opinion, as WE ALSO ARE. Having an opinion is not jumping a bandwagon, that's just ignorant and stupid to say. I find it very insulting of you to say that people who praise the old stuff are either jumping a bandwagon or doing it only due to nostalgia.

There IS a big difference in the music quality between the old stuff and the new. People may prefer the new stuff over the old and vice versa, but the creativity and edge as well as feeling and thought out structures & songs are more present in the old albums.

And, as someone said, while the melodies in the old stuff were much more folk music and Iron Maiden inspired, the melodies done now reminds one much more of hard rock. And what I said is that I prefer the old, which you seem very upset about.

And, why do you think they "have to" follow a certain formula just because they are the band they are? I mean, having that same intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus structure in almost every song IS NOT creative no matter how you put it. Changing things up a little is not going progressive. They weren't called "progressive melodic death metal" before, were they?

Oh, and speaking of me being only nostalgic, as you think. I started listening to In Flames when Clayman came out in 2000. So no, I'm definitely not nostalgic. Also, I really like R2R for what it is, so I'm not someone who hates everything new In Flames.
That the first albums are considered masterpieces and it being a fact goes both ways. Those who like the albums call them masterpieces, those who doesn't obviously don't. It's the same with the new stuff, people call it masterpieces as well. It just has to do with who likes what, aka OPINIONS.
You can't say it's a fact the song structures are better and the feeling on the old albums is much better, because it's simply a subjective opinion.
There are no facts when it comes to taste.

You misinterpreted my post on several places. When I said ''people'' I did not refer to you. And I did not say that people who are praising the old stuff either are bandwagoning or doing it due to nostalgia.

They were not called Progressive Melodic Death Metal before no, PEOPLE categorized them as Melodic Death Metal, they never claimed to be anything, just a metal band. The fact of the matter is though, that they have been progressing a lot on every album. They didn't just ''change things up a little'', listen to Whoracle then listen to Colony.

Anyways, I can't be arsed to take another one of these discussions that leads nowhere so I won't discuss the topic further with you.

That the first albums are considered masterpieces and it being a fact goes both ways. Those who like the albums call them masterpieces, those who doesn't obviously don't. It's the same with the new stuff, people call it masterpieces as well. It just has to do with who likes what, aka OPINIONS.
You can't say it's a fact the song structures are better and the feeling on the old albums is much better, because it's simply a subjective opinion.
There are no facts when it comes to taste.

The song structures are more varied and more thoughtout, that's very clear, but very well, you can like whatever you want. Some people like more simple stuff, others don't. But don't come here like an ass and say that people who like the old stuff more are nostalgic or any stupid bullshit like that just because you seem to prefer the new stuff.

I simply said my thoughts on the old stuff compared to the new and you immediately go all rage.

You misinterpreted my post on several places. When I said ''people'' I did not refer to you. And I did not say that people who are praising the old stuff either are bandwagoning or doing it due to nostalgia.

Uhm...that's exactly what you said, don't try to deny that.

They were not called Progressive Melodic Death Metal before no, PEOPLE categorized them as Melodic Death Metal, they never claimed to be anything, just a metal band. The fact of the matter is though, that they have been progressing a lot on every album. They didn't just ''change things up a little'', listen to Whoracle then listen to Colony.

Anyways, I can't be arsed to take another one of these discussions that leads nowhere so I won't discuss the topic further with you.

What I meant is that you defended their way of having the same pop-formula in almost every song by saying that it's the way they are. Sure, it may be the way they are now, but it's still lacking in imagination and varying up a little is still not trying to be progressive.

Meh, I'm still hungover since yesterday so I think I'm done here as well.

The song structures are more varied and more thoughtout, that's very clear, but very well, you can like whatever you want. Some people like more simple stuff, others don't. But don't come here like an ass and say that people who like the old stuff more are nostalgic or any stupid bullshit like that just because you seem to prefer the new stuff.

I simply said my thoughts on the old stuff compared to the new and you immediately go all rage.

Uhm...that's exactly what you said, don't try to deny that.

What I meant is that you defended their way of having the same pop-formula in almost every song by saying that it's the way they are. Sure, it may be the way they are now, but it's still lacking in imagination and varying up a little is still not trying to be progressive.

Meh, I'm still hungover since yesterday so I think I'm done here as well.
Lol no what I said was ''And then there's new IF fans that only likes the Old albums who likes jumping on the ''let's throw shit at New IF'' bandwagon.''
I don't understand how you can interpret it the way you did.
And, I don't know if this is what you think, but I don't dislike the old stuff. I LOVE it. I love all their albums. Maybe you haven't even read my posts? I'm a diehard fucking IF fan, new or old doesn't matter to me.

And you are again misinterpreting or misreading what I've actually said.
Maybe it's because you are hungover, I don't know.

And please, learn what rage is. I did not in any way ''immediately rage'', I didn't even rage at all.

And the reason why the song structures have been simplified is because IF is now a live band, in the old days they were a studio band. That's why they could go into the studio and do all this creative shit, at least that is what they've said themselves. Nowadays they create the songs for being played live. I mean, in TJR, there's like, 4-5 guitar tracks at the same time or something in some songs? Sure it sounds fucking awesome on the album, but when it comes to playing it live, the songs immediately doesn't sound as good as the studio version whereas the songs from the recent albums, imo sounds even better and massive live. And with this I don't mean that the old songs sound bad live, definitely not. They sound great. But they have made some changes and added some stuff to old songs when they perform them live. Like for example in The Hive, the breakdown part, Björn now plays a really sweet lead instead of only that slow boring rhythm part.

I mean, everything you are saying except for the song structures being simpler nowadays (We'll see about that in SOAPF though possibly) are just your opinions. It's just an battle of opinions.

Anyways, have a good day. Last time I reply for real now :D

I have to agree with Krofius on what he's said. Having no nostalgic connection to the old In Flames sound results in me looking at them different for sure. I appreciate them, and i can see what the old fans love (and subsequently hate, in the newer albums), but the song structures are hardly revolutionary in the old songs ;) i just like the pre-Clayman era because there are more riffs, and the most is made of the riffs that are there allowing the solos and leads to really step forward and shine. Whereas songs like RTR's title track lack a solid base to start from, so just have a barerly memorable lead and barely a solo. Then you have The Mirror's Truth and others from ASOP that feel as though they are rushing and trying to finish before they get going.

I like it when we can discuss the positives and negatives of ALL of the music, creatively, without resorting to outright biased Old Vs New argument.

Someone said someone that they aren't looking forward to the future of In Flames because Niclas Engelin will be 'too modern'. C'mon guys this is 2011! I hope Bjorn sticks to writing epic melodies, while Engelin brings his headbang-able industro-riffs as a rythm. In Flames aren't Engel- i'm pretty sure Bjorn and crew will show Niclas where it's at! :)