In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

Are you referring to the four songs that have been out for a while now? Because there are high quality versions of all four out there now.

I would be really interested to hear, how would In Flames album (let's say 2013-4) sound like if they decided:

1) not to use any keys or samples (thus being forced to make guitarwork more interesting)

it'd end up either incredibly epic or incredibly boring. Bjorn's got the ability to come up with great riffs... but it depends whether they went for the chugga-chugga route or took it back to the TJR/Whoracle period (although apparently if you take the keys away the new riffs could go on TJR, seriously, Anders said so :D)

2) not to use any vocal layering or heavy processing (thus forcing Anders to sing-scream in his natural way)

would sound awful imo. just listen to Anders live... he'd maybe be able to pull off some half decent growls but without processing his screams would sound weak and his cleans would be atrocious. Best to keep layering and processing these I think!

3) to produce album themselves (no Bergstrand and Laghi)

i don't think this would make much difference tbh, they already know what they're doing in the studio and i'm sure they know how to achieve the sound they've got.

What do you guys think, how would that end up?

IMO anyway :D

DigiV:That is true, layered to all hell, but still improved from 1 album ago in my opinion. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong and the production is substandard.

A88: I would love to hear that album just to see what that would be. I personally love the synths and layers, but some might see that as a crutch. I like to think of it as a beautiful, juicy crutch.

although apparently if you take the keys away the new riffs could go on TJR, seriously, Anders said so

That was just mean... Now he feels like shit. ;)

Anyway, producers do matter. They often affect the way album is going. Same stuff could end up being pure melodeath or modern alternative metal just because of one guy doing the sounds and choosing ideas.

As for Anders' vocals I agree.

But I would really want to hear pure guitar stuff. If there is no keys and weird samples to bail you out when you do simple, generic riff, you must come up with something interesting, or your song will end up sounding like boring shit. Riff, melody over it, harmony over that.

@Otterpelt

Yeah, I love synths too, BUT sometimes bands tend to become over-reliant on them. If every intro has electro stuff, if every verse has some machinery sounds droning behind, if every chorus has 3 layers of keys giving it full sound...after a while it becomes boring. Similar thing sometimes happens to Dark Tranquillity - keys are doing all the stuff and guitars are just chugging same riffs. Take out samples, keys and vocals and you couldn't make a difference between songs.

Are you referring to the four songs that have been out for a while now? Because there are high quality versions of all four out there now.
No there isn't.
There are HQ of A New Dawn, Deliver Us & SOAPF. Enter Tragedy only has a radio rip atm.

@ krofius: Could have fooled me. The copy of Enter Tragedy that I have sounds pretty damn good for a radio rip, but I guess I haven't listened to it for a while. I decided not to listen to these SOAPF songs again until I've listened through every one of their other albums since it's been such a long time. So far I've listened to:

1993 Promo
The Jester Race
Colony
Reroute to Remain

I like doing every other album so I don't get tired of any particular style. I find that each album is most similar to the ones preceding and following it. It makes perfect sense really.

I think it would be interesting if they did a stripped-down album that went back to basics, for the most part. One of the reasons I like the old In Flames albums so much is there isn't too much of a keyboard/synth presence, like some I'm not incredibly fond of in melodeath, I prefer the sounds of the guitars. The new albums I don't really mind it too much in, makes for some interesting interludes and intros/outros, but there are times when I think they're overused a bit.

If they did away with them for one album, anyway (not unreasonable, I'd say), and brought back the acoustics a little more, made the choruses a little less poppy, I think it could sound great. Not something I would expect to happen, but I think there's a chance. Who knows.

Uh, I'm pretty confused here. I don't know how Dark Tranquillity and Insomnium's vocals sound the same at all. For one, Insomnium's are more gutteral and unintelligible. DT's are the most distinguishable true harsh vocals that I've ever been able to understand, they sound amazing. In fact I think Mikael Stanne is the most unique growler out there. His singing voice is actually impressive in a professional sense and easily blows Anders out of the water. Don't get me wrong, I love the style that Anders uses but his older TJR/Whoracle style wasn't nearly as capable as Mikael Stanne. He did sound a lot closer to the guy from Insomnium though. I don't think Anders truly got unique until Colony and that's probably my favorite vocal performance of his.

Also...the reason people get hung up on the melody in the newer vocals is simply because they don't like the catchy appeal that may draw others in to In Flames that don't really like much metal. It's stupid really. Everything should be judged by it's own merit, not whether or not it will make them less secure in their "true" metal fan status.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA FAIL

What, you don't like Lunar Still? It's my favorite album right after The Jester Rage and Whirlacle. Though I guess it doesn't have quite the same punch as Colonoscopy and Claymation.

Still, EVERYONE seems to like it more than their later stuff, though personally I think Rewire to Reimagine and Soundblast to your Ecstasy to be fucking brilliant. I've also heard a lot of love for Come Cordially. Though I personally find A Sentence of Permutation to be mediocre.

Here's hoping Sores from a Playmate Facial is as epic as the others!

(I put way more time into that than I should have.)

In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Insomnium, Amon Amarth, At the Gates, these are the bands I currently listen to and I can say with 100% confidence that each band's vocalist is unique. You can easily tell them apart, you cant have listened to the music that much if they sound the same to you.

Compare:

with

Similar style of vocals, but both very unique and different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. Just because some vocalists use low guttural growls, it doesnt mean that they are all alike. There are a lot of other factors when it comes to vocals, not just the pitch.
Also, if you are to compare vocals, you should do so with live recordings. No matter how good someone can sing, they all get polished in the studio. Anders is the perfect example of this, he sounds different on every album.

I agree, In Flames', DT's and Insomnium's vocals all sound pretty original and fairly distinctive. Though comparing Stanne to Niilo of Insomnium isnt that fair when it comes to unintelligibility. Stanne's growls/screams are way higher pitched and therefore easier to understand. Insomnium uses quite lower pitched vocals, but they are still pretty easy to understand. I didnt have to read the lyrics that often for their songs. Just listen to the Mortal share for an example, its low and guttural, yet every word comes out the way it should be pronounced.

Exactly. Just because some vocalists use low guttural growls, it doesnt mean that they are all alike. There are a lot of other factors when it comes to vocals, not just the pitch.
Also, if you are to compare vocals, you should do so with live recordings. No matter how good someone can sing, they all get polished in the studio. Anders is the perfect example of this, he sounds different on every album.

Mikael of DT and Peter of Hypocrisy are two of the best live vocalists I have ever seen. They both sound so close to the albums when they are doing the song...

Actually, I think in a lot of cases, Peter is better live than he is on the albums.

The In Flames 1996 video from Koln is awesome too in my opinion. Doesn't sound like the album, but is harsh, in your face and really amazing.

I absolutely agree with you. His vocals are the reason why Where death is most alive is probably my favourite live dvd of all time now. And regarding Peter, he is definitely amazing live. The guy does it all, low pitched growls, high pitched growls, screams, shrieks, clean vocals... I dont know if you like Pain, but their live stuff is amazing just as much as Hypocrisy's.

About that Koln live recording, I love it as well. Anders' vocals sound so uncontrolled and raw. His technique obviously wasnt that good, but it does sound amazing. Tomas Lindberg was pretty similar to Anders in that aspect, check out their live performance from Krakow in '95.

Mikael from Opeth should also be mentioned as an outstanding live singer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely agree with you. His vocals are the reason why Where death is most alive is probably my favourite live dvd of all time now. And regarding Peter, he is definitely amazing live. The guy does it all, low pitched growls, high pitched growls, screams, shrieks, clean vocals... I dont know if you like Pain, but their live stuff is amazing just as much as Hypocrisy's.

About that Koln live recording, I love it as well. Anders' vocals sound so uncontrolled and raw. His technique obviously wasnt that good, but it does sound amazing. Tomas Lindberg was pretty similar to Anders in that aspect, check out their live performance from Krakow in '95.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhNtS4gFNHw

Mikael from Opeth should also be mentioned as an outstanding live singer.

I am a Pain fan, and what a good album they just put out...

And shit, I forgot to mention Lindberg. His vocals are some of my favorite, just so raw and angry; like hes tearing out his own vocal cords.