In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

From the very beginning to the final strains, melody defines this album. Even if it's melody played on synth that the purists will hate, or vocal melodies that just seems to be expanding on In Flames' musical repertoire. This was the same on TJR, Whoracle, Colony and Clayman: and THAT is why I feel this album can stand proud as the best In Flames release since that era. Stand out tracks for me are the title track, All For Me (has strains of Gyroscope written all over it to my ears) Fear is the Weakness (love that synth line, gives me some crazy beautiful mental images), The Attic (the haunted feel is really something special) Ropes (Bjorn is no fucking slouch, really upbeat and inspirational too) Enter Tragedy (hearing it in CD quality really brought out the power, it's the closest thing on this album to Artifacts of the Black Rain) and A New Dawn (obviously a masterpiece as previously discussed by pretty much everyone).

Yes, glad to see I wasn't the only one who got a Gyroscope vibe from All For Me! And that's not a hit against Gyroscope, either, or a strained attempt to compare the two eras, that was a legitimate, spontaneous feeling. You're right that melody seems to be at the very core of this album, whereas R2R through ASOP didn't have that "element" to it (though I feel ASOP came very close).

Now that I'm relistening to the album, I have to say Anders might actually be one of my favorite aspects, whereas usually I tune him out, especially on albums like Whoracle. His cleans are inoffensive and compliment the music well this time around. I was transcribing the lyrics a while ago in Microsoft Word, and I was pretty damn impressed at some points.

After listening a few more times here are my scores for each song. Again, solid effort, awesome guitar work from Bjorn and Daniel sounded awesome on this album. At first I thought this was a little better than come clarity but thinking about it Come clarity is still a tad better.

I think this album would of been much better as a 10 song album, minus Jester's Door, The Attic and Liberation. It would of gotten more points with some low growls, whoracle/ colony type growls. All of this would of made it the closest thing to clayman.

1. Sounds of a Playgrounds Fading 7.5

2. Deliver us 7.5

3. All for me 7

4. The Puzzle 7.5

5. Fear is the Weakness 8

6. Where the dead ships dwell 6

7. The Attic 5

8. Darker Times 5.5

9. Ropes 6.5

10. Enter Tragedy 9

11. Jester's Door 3

12. A New Dawn 9

13. Liberation 5

Overall: 7

Other albums:
Lunar Strain 7, Subtarenean 8, Jester Race 10, Whoracle 10, Colony 9, Clayman 9, Reroute 7.5, STYE 6.5, Come Clarity 7.5, ASOP 6

OH yeah, the New Soilwork is much better.

They just issued a statement that they're releasing a Super Ultra Ultimate Deluxe Japanese-Only Bonus Album that's all of these songs, but dubbed over with nothing but Whoracle growls. It will be Called "Sounds of Anders Actually Taking A Cheese Grater To His Fucking Throat"

They just issued a statement that they're releasing a Super Ultra Ultimate Deluxe Japanese-Only Bonus Album that's all of these songs, but dubbed over with nothing but Whoracle growls. It will be Called "Sounds of Anders Actually Taking A Cheese Grater To His Fucking Throat"

lmao. +100 internet points for the cheese grate bit. :D

I listened to the album, I would give it 5/10. New Dawn as the best song on the album, track 1,3,5 as 6/10. Ropes,Liberation sounds like some hip-mallcore band that they play on rock stations. If New Dawn is the next step great, but if Liberation is the next evolution, I will listen to other Melodic death metal bands.

I'm loving the whole album! Overall, I give it a 9.

Agreed.
Liberation its a really good song and underrated. It's one of those songs where "you have to give it a bunch of listens to give it a chance".

Ever since I've been listening to In Flames (Since '99), ive never known them to do anything "ordinary" or "typical". They like being unique, different and definitely like pushing the boundaries. They create music that they like to play and not be like "oh we have to sound like this or ppl will be mad".

Songs Really Liking ATM:
-Deliver Us
-Sounds of a playground fading
-Liberation
-Where the dead ships dwell
-Ropes
-A New Dawn
-The attic
- Ok ok all of the songs lol

Did you notice that I still didn't write anything about the new album ? I've been listening it again and again. A couple more and you'll have my thoughts about it.

since it seems like the thing to do:

1. Sounds of a Playgrounds Fading - 7

2. Deliver us - 7

3. All for me - 7.5

4. The Puzzle - 6.5

5. Fear is the Weakness - 8

6. Where the dead ships dwell - 6

7. The Attic - 3

8. Darker Times - 4

9. Ropes - 6.5

10. Enter Tragedy - 7.5

11. Jester's Door - 2.5

12. A New Dawn - 7

13. Liberation - 5

Overall: 7

My ratings:

1. Sounds of a Playgrounds Fading - 7.5

2. Deliver us - 4

3. All for me - 5.5

4. The Puzzle - 6.5

5. Fear is the Weakness - 8.5

6. Where the dead ships dwell - 7.5

7. The Attic - 8

8. Darker Times - 7.5

9. Ropes - 8

10. Enter Tragedy - 8

11. Jester's Door - 8.5

12. A New Dawn - 8.5

13. Liberation - 5

I feel sad for people that cant appreciate Jester's Door or The Attic :D

Fucking In Flames are alive and well guys! This is the best IF album in a long long time, I love them all but holy shit the dynamics are back, the melodies are back, the solos rule, Anders sounds angry.

My Rating right now

8/10

My final rating for all songs :p

1. Sounds of a Playgrounds Fading - 7

2. Deliver us - 2... >_< cant stand it haha Edit: aarrhrhhrahrrhrhahrrhhrhrh

3. All for me - 7

4. The Puzzle - 8.5 Probz my second favourite at this point in time, not far from Fear is the Weakness. Amazing outro as well :D

5. Fear is the Weakness - 8

6. Where the dead ships dwell - 6

7. The Attic - 7

8. Darker Times - 7

9. Ropes - 7 Edit again: Intro/Outro is super catchy, I love it!

10. Enter Tragedy - 7.5

11. Jester's Door - 4.5 not much in this track =/

12. A New Dawn - 9

13. Liberation - 5