In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

Yeah, As i said, album misses something. My will to listen to SOAPF has faded... I guess after a year probably i will listen to two or three songs :eek: But for sure albums is good.

I have to say that I liked The Attic after some listening. I'd even count it as a proper song now. For some reason I really like the guitar melodies and the atmosphere they make. Interesting lyrics too.

Now a lot of tracks stand out for me, instead of just 3. The only songs that I dont like are All For Me, Jester's Door (I like the concept, but the way its done is just dissapointing) and that chorus from Deliver Us. I really liked it in the first, but now its just irritating for some reason. I have to say that Anders really stepped up his vocals, clean ones sound really really good. I would love to hear Ropes or Where the Dead Ships Dwell live, just to see if he could pull it off :)

There are a lot of things I'd like to see done differently on this album, but overall its much better than I expected, and I will definitely be listening to it for a while. The only "issues" that bother me at the moment are the fact that there are like 5 or 6 riffs in different songs that sound almost identical, and that there are couple of moments that sound really... Childish? Uplifting, but really cheesy, like bunch of 15 year olds wrote the music instead of people who are deep in their 40's, and who once upon a time released an album called "Clayman".

I have to say that I liked The Attic after some listening. I'd even count it as a proper song now. For some reason I really like the guitar melodies and the atmosphere they make. Interesting lyrics too.

Now a lot of tracks stand out for me, instead of just 3. The only songs that I dont like are All For Me, Jester's Door (I like the concept, but the way its done is just dissapointing) and that chorus from Deliver Us. I really liked it in the first, but now its just irritating for some reason. I have to say that Anders really stepped up his vocals, clean ones sound really really good. I would love to hear Ropes or Where the Dead Ships Dwell live, just to see if he could pull it off :)

There are a lot of things I'd like to see done differently on this album, but overall its much better than I expected, and I will definitely be listening to it for a while. The only "issues" that bother me at the moment are the fact that there are like 5 or 6 riffs in different songs that sound almost identical, and that there are couple of moments that sound really... Childish? Uplifting, but really cheesy, like bunch of 15 year olds wrote the music instead of people who are deep in their 40's, and who once upon a time released an album called "Clayman".

Totally agree about The Attic. I like it in the same way I like The Chosen Pessimist: it creates a nice, dark picture with the atmosphere and the lyircs. I don't view at as filler at all. The only song I could potential skip on a play-through is "Jester's Door", which I actually really enjoy but it's less a song and more of a "message."

Definitely don't get any of the cheesiness that you're mentioning. Examples?

I agree in regards to the riffs, a few songs with intros that sound very similar. Similarly some of the verse riffs seem recycled a few times in the album, hidden somewhat by the vocal melodies. Overall it doesn't really detract from the atmosphere, but it's a little disappointing to hear it considering most of their past albums, even including STYE and ASOP, did not do this.

The only childish thing I find about the album is some of the lyrics, but it's Anders, the same man who wrote "I feel like shit but at least I feel something", "delight and angers I guess that's the way it's supposed to be", "drown the monster, make all bad things go away" and "I like you better dead, and I'm better off alone!!!!!" so I think it's a given that some of the lyrics will be on the childish side :D overall his lyrics on SOAPF are vastly improved, though.

Well, CMDistro said they ship the week of the 14th, maybe they sent it early by accident? Either way that's pretty cool. How's the shirt look IRL?

September's here again
Every insecurity reminds you
Who's at the helm?
Darker times
With fear in the eyes
Who's the man in charge?

Invented isolation
Alone and safe inside
Struggle with words,
That make sense in time
Yet waiting for someone to enter say "I have a better plan"

Never have to worry
For all that we know
The truth be told
As we lay down low
Walking the thin line
Let the happiness in
For now it's fine
We're living the lie

When light breaks
Another way to matter
All questions somehow answered
When life comes crushing
At the early break of day
We've only come so far

Never have to worry
For all that we know
The truth be told
As we lay down low
Walking the thin line
Let the happiness in
For now it's fine
We're living the lie

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/i/in_flames/#share

i'm liking the lyrics in this song. good stuff! oh, and hello again... haven't been on in a week or so, lol

I expressed myself poorly, its not that they are cheesy as much as they dont fit the mood of the overall song. I already mentioned that pre-chorus part of Fear is the weakness. The whole song has this atmospheric/melancholic vibe, and then that totally uplifting-sounding part comes up, with lyrics that don't suit it at all, and just ruins the buildup of the song for me. Ofcourse, this is just my opinion.

Well, CMDistro said they ship the week of the 14th, maybe they sent it early by accident? Either way that's pretty cool. How's the shirt look IRL?

Nope, it says it shipped on the 14th. I guess the mailman crossed the country fast enough. And the shirt looks really cool irl. I don't remember if you could see it or not, but the back has a couple of those birds featured in the album/single art and the side has a quote from Ropes, "You're waiting for something you can't have".

BTW does anyone else think that Ropes seems like Borders And Shading 2.0? (in a good way)

well, I'll be checking my mail today. I wonder if the limited deluxe is shipping this quick, or if all orders are. Either way, mine needs to get here so I can see the album art.

I don't feel that Ropes is anything like Borders and Shading, lyrically or instrumentally. Also, you guys who are getting your Limited Deluxe editions, where do you live?

Have to agree with J313, I hear a bit of Swim in the Ropes intro but that's about it.

Yeah, if anything, I hear more of a Swim riff. But even so, there is a different feeling to it.

Yeah, it's like Swim-lite :D

I've just been going thru In Flames back-catalogue, been a while since I've listened to Lunar Strain/Sub especially, even Whoracle and TJR have been neglected a bit lately. Damn, these albums are so, so good :D you would not believe the same band, only 7 years later, would be writing trash like Like You Better Dead and Bottled :(

Going straight from Whoracle to R2R ... it's easy to see why people were so angry :D and I like R2R, but it ain't a patch on Whoracle.

Going straight from Whoracle to R2R ... it's easy to see why people were so angry :D

I would say skipping any one album could make people mad about the big change in sound. If you listen to every album in order, you can hear an arguably logical progression, but if you skip even just one album, for example, go Whoracle to Clayman, you can see a huge fucking change. Do that for any of their albums. I think that's actually really interesting and awesome.