Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
In Flames – Soundtrack To Your Escape
Nuclear Blast – NB1231-2 - 2004
By Rodrigo Escandon

IF.jpg

Ok, let’s get the obvious out of the way. For those of you expecting the In Flames of old, responsible for albums like The Jester Race, and who did not like Reroute to Remain, then I recommend that you stay clear away from Soundtrack To Your Escape. That In Flames sound of old is a thing of the past, and it has been quite obvious since Clayman that the band has been progressing to a newer style. Now, if you are on of those people who enjoyed Reroute to Remain, like I did, then this album will definitely be to your liking, because it is only the natural progression in the band’s musical direction.

This time around Anders has decided to use less of his clean voice, which basically only appears in some of the choruses, and has returned to singing primarily in his screaming voice. This was definitely a wise decision, as his clean voice could sound very whiny and annoying, and his screaming is far stronger. Soundtrack To Your Escape is also heavier than its predecessor, recalling the aggression from earlier efforts. Songs like opener “F(r)iend”, “In Search for I”, “Like You Better Dead” and “Superhero of the Computer Rage” showcase the band’s heavier sound through more straightforward chord-strumming riffs. But, unlike Reroute to Remain, there is a wider use of leads and solos, which were either missing, or played by the synthesizers in the aforementioned album. Jesper and Björn have managed to strike a middle ground as far as their sound is concerned, and “Borders and Shading” is a good example of this.

But the experimentation or progression of sound is still prevalent. Some of the most interesting songs are “The Quiet Place” and “My Sweet Shadow”, due to their use of strange and eerie melodies that appear in the beginning, and reoccur throughout each track. This is stuff that we have not heard from In Flames in the past, and it is actually very cool sounding. Another interesting thing I noticed was the sound of Daniel’s drumming. It is great as always, but in this album it has a very distinct sound - especially in the cymbals - which can sound flat and punchier, something I really enjoy.

Soundtrack To Your Escape is superior to Reroute to Remain, simply because the band just sounds better with this style. Two weak areas, the clean vocals and lack of guitar leads, have been solved, and the group sounds confident and in control of the direction they want to take or “escape” to. Open your mind (or in this case your ears) and enjoy the ride!

It's a great album. I've found Reroute to Remain more fun to listen too, a lot of songs on STYE lack that something that the other albums have. None the less it's an excellent album and worth a listen.

solid album. i guess most that didn't like r2r that much would like this more. I do like r2r more (its actually my 2nd favorite IF album) but like i said its a great album. my main problem is the production, the rhythm guitar and drum sounds are ass. but oh well. things like that only bother me the first couple of listens, im getting used to it already.

"This time around Anders has decided to use less of his clean voice"
good, I prefer his screaming' vocals... a friend of mine who isn't a fan heard a song where he used clean vocals and accused him of trying to rip of jonathan davis! excuse me while I shoot myself...