In Flames Tour

Powers said:
Instrumentally yes, but Fridens vocals live are so mediocre. You can tell that just off listening to The Tokyo Showdown. He's got a voice that's really non descript which is why it's good on CD because it's easy to manipulate in production, unfortunatly that also means his voice live is just really well...boring, even though he's a good show man and he put on a good act, he just can't deliever the goods.

Im a huge in flames fan and i agree with you about Ander's vocals but only around that era. The vocals on the live album are terrible but on the more recent live stuff, the live dvd for example, his voice is a lot better. Its a lot stronger with more range.

I like Take This Life. Its not the In Flames i gew up with, the pre-Clayman brilliance that i just recently fell in love with again. But its fun. The lyrics suck, but its heavy, and the chorus reminds me of Preditor's Portrait-era Soilwork.

But their new stuff, on the whole, doesnt do it for me. I think its pretty bad, but if you enjoy it, thats fine. I saw them in '99 for the Colony tour doing a double header with Butterfly Effect-era Moonspell, THAT was a great fucking show.

NicholasDWolfwood said:
Because you're not a tr00 m3talhead if you don't rip on In Flames for getting bored of the harmony sound and deciding to do something different that might have some commercial success. "ZOMGZ THEY SOLD OUT"...I'm sure they'd like to make some money, instead of being poor the whole time they play music.

lmao defending a band's selling out: definition of a fanboy

they suck more than they used to, period

at least come clarity isn't as bad as soundtrack

Not a fan boy, I'm not a big fan of In Flames actually, I much prefer Dark Tranquillity. However, I'm sure Anders and Jesper and the rest of the guys would like to make some money off record sales, instead of being poor the whole time they make music. Just like Mike and the guys, I'm sure, would rather make some money, rather than go broke.

what the hell, watering down your music in exchange for money is reprehensible and cowardly, and you're actually defending it by saying "but they wanted money!"

wtf

Because melodic death metal will make big money, right? I believe it was only when STYE was released that they passed 100,000 records solds in the US or something like that. They want to make a career out of music, that's fine, but once again, I'm sure they'd rather not go broke in doing so. I'm sure they were making halfway decent money, but how long will that really last? Are they financially secure, even now that they've "sold out"? No, they're not. That's possibly why they changed. It could just be because, like Mike and co., they got tired of what everybody else in that scene was doing.

And honestly, I'm sure they couldn't give a rats ass what some tr00 kvlt metalhead thinks of their music.

compromising music for money is a betrayal to music
stye was a pitiful record, and that has nothing to do with tr00ness

there's no parallel with opeth, because bwp wasn't a musical compromise, and neither was gr. they went farther down the road of prog rock, which isn't a particularly big money maker compared to the 'lite metal' wave of popularity that in flames caught

hah why, if they were tired of what the scene was doing, did they hop into an even more stagnant and contrived scene

in flames and you both fail, period

I was at the tour premiere in oslo. In Flames are way better on cd. The guitars drown Anders out(I like his vocals, tho they're not technically brilliant). They played Take this life, Leeches, Vacuum and Crawl through knives from CC. They played Insipid 2000, as I recall.

I got dehydrated and had to sit down for the last four songs. :erk:

THERION MAN GIVES UP SINGING
Therion guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Christofer Johnsson is to give up singing, to concentratre on other aspects of his talents. His final singing performance with the band will be during this weekend's Prog Power Festival, at Cheltenham Race Course.
OMG

NicholasDWolfwood said:
Because melodic death metal will make big money, right? I believe it was only when STYE was released that they passed 100,000 records solds in the US or something like that. They want to make a career out of music, that's fine, but once again, I'm sure they'd rather not go broke in doing so. I'm sure they were making halfway decent money, but how long will that really last? Are they financially secure, even now that they've "sold out"? No, they're not. That's possibly why they changed. It could just be because, like Mike and co., they got tired of what everybody else in that scene was doing.

And honestly, I'm sure they couldn't give a rats ass what some tr00 kvlt metalhead thinks of their music.

You, sir, are completely right.

I think In Flames do whatever they wanna do. Who are we to judge them?
Besides, it's hard to make music for a living without being inspired and influenced by the scene in general.

When Metallica suposedly (poorly spelt, I know) sold out back in the 90's (for the forth or fift time), what I think happened is that grunge came and went, which proved that the mainstream rock crowd were ready for that kind of music. This enabled them to get Load out of their systems (since Hetfield always wants you to get what the music is about, they put the whole experimental thing on hold for a few years). And what Pearl Jam and that lot were doing certainly influenced them.

This probably sounds abit unclear, I have yet to figure this theory out completely (and I'm a little lightheaded today). But this is basically how I feel about (Re)Load, and "sellout-albums" in general.

Led Opeth said:
when your at that stage in your career, im sure you would take the money too, i know i would.
And there is nothing bad about it, everyne wants money...the problem is when you act like anti-commercial and you are commercial as fuck -> lot of Hip-Hop or Darkthrone for example.

to me, the selling out thing is a fucking stupid issue. way to often do people become caught up in it. like someone above said, who are we to judge a band's intentions with their music. how about you listen to the music, and leave it at that. a lot of people liked in flames and metallica's music more once they crossed the "sell out" line. thats great! they reached out to more people. "ooohhhh, but they did it for the money." oh shut up...when you say that, you are the one making the link.

when a band makes more money off of their music after changing styles, do they change styles in exchange for money, or do they make more money because they changed styles? in the end, you don't know the true answer to that, unless the band flat out says..."uhhhh, yah, we were sick of not making money, so we ummm...its a great album though." even then, who gives a fuck...judge the music, not the band.

opeth changed styles at one point. if you step off of your elitist high horse, you will realize that in no way was that different than in flames or metallica changing styles. there just happened to be a lot more people that liked the music when in flames and metallica made the switch. there were more fans, bigger record labels, tv cameras, mainstream magazines, and radio stations that made them more accessable to the type of person who's taste is driven by these cultural factors (posers). but also, more people had the opportunity to hear about them...people that weren't into the melodic thrash/death metal thing.

"uh oh," says the tr00 fan, "a bunch of idiotic kids really dig this band, and they know nothing about what this band REALLY stands for. that being the reasons why i like them. SELL OUTS!!! SELL OUTS!!! they are doing it for the money and commercial success! they are hopping onto a scene."

fuck that. what is a "scene"? is it a reference to a genre, or is it a fad? people who accuse a band of hopping onto a scene are just as caught up in music culture as the posers who jump onto the scene.

I love in flames live, but I wish they would take a page from Rammsteins book and light themselves on fire...

hee! get it? IN flames!

Inflames old stuff is really good. There newer stuff? Well, not so good...

Not a huge fan but i wish i had seen them when they playe here a week ago.:erk:

Especially since im going to miss Opeth in April since im under 18.:cry: