In Flames Tour

NicholasDWolfwood said:
Because you're not a tr00 m3talhead if you don't rip on In Flames for getting bored of the harmony sound and deciding to do something different that might have some commercial success. "ZOMGZ THEY SOLD OUT"...I'm sure they'd like to make some money, instead of being poor the whole time they play music.

It could also be because they've lost their spark, but believe what you will. They're your ears.

JoeVice said:
to me, the selling out thing is a fucking stupid issue. way to often do people become caught up in it. like someone above said, who are we to judge a band's intentions with their music. how about you listen to the music, and leave it at that. a lot of people liked in flames and metallica's music more once they crossed the "sell out" line. thats great! they reached out to more people. "ooohhhh, but they did it for the money." oh shut up...when you say that, you are the one making the link.

when a band makes more money off of their music after changing styles, do they change styles in exchange for money, or do they make more money because they changed styles? in the end, you don't know the true answer to that, unless the band flat out says..."uhhhh, yah, we were sick of not making money, so we ummm...its a great album though." even then, who gives a fuck...judge the music, not the band.

opeth changed styles at one point. if you step off of your elitist high horse, you will realize that in no way was that different than in flames or metallica changing styles. there just happened to be a lot more people that liked the music when in flames and metallica made the switch. there were more fans, bigger record labels, tv cameras, mainstream magazines, and radio stations that made them more accessable to the type of person who's taste is driven by these cultural factors (posers). but also, more people had the opportunity to hear about them...people that weren't into the melodic thrash/death metal thing.

"uh oh," says the tr00 fan, "a bunch of idiotic kids really dig this band, and they know nothing about what this band REALLY stands for. that being the reasons why i like them. SELL OUTS!!! SELL OUTS!!! they are doing it for the money and commercial success! they are hopping onto a scene."

fuck that. what is a "scene"? is it a reference to a genre, or is it a fad? people who accuse a band of hopping onto a scene are just as caught up in music culture as the posers who jump onto the scene.

I've got to address this post and give it what it deserves.

First of all, those like me that believe In Flames were once decent but now suck haven't ever accused them of selling out. I certainly haven't. I've accused them of becoming complete turd. I don't give a fuck what their intentions are. The fact is they once wrote decent music (not great but decent) but have become bland. Some might say they've become more commercial - whatever the case is the only thing that matters to me is that I've lost all interest in the music.

Now, it just happens to be that there is a reason people go off bands that become more commercial in their sound. Even Opeth have done the same to a certain extent and although I still enjoy Opeth their new stuff lacks much of what once made them great. I wish every band the greatest financial success and if they can do this while still producing quality music, great. Well done. Unfortunately, commercial success is usually dependant upon the music becoming simple and terrible which is exactly why metal fans - who generally have high expectations of their music - lose interest in the likes of In Flames, Metallica etc etc when they simplify their tunes.

So Joe, I would suggest that those you somehow believe dislike music because some teenagers happen to enjoy are indeed judging the aforementioned bands for the music, not the band.

So In Flames suck these days and some of us are happy to admit it - get over it.

EVH316 said:
Unfortunately, commercial success is usually dependant upon the music be simple and terrible which is exactly why metal fans - who generally have high expectations of their music - lose interest in the likes of In Flames, Metallica etc etc when they simplify their tunes.

if your reasons for not liking a band are based on the fact that they are simple and terrible, then your reasons are pure. if you notice that the music has become simple and terrible, and also notice that this is why it fits well in the commercial scene, you are not in the wrong. but, if you listen to the music, and notice that it sounds commercial, and BECAUSE YOU NOTICE THIS, you arive at the fact that it is simple and terrible, your judgement is clouded.

now, by posting this, i'm not disagreeing with you. i agree with where you are coming from. but, too many times have i been discussing music with someone when up pops the comment, "i just don't like how they have become so commercial now."

what does that person mean by that? i can't really make any true judgments. but, the vibe that i get is that they have automatically dismissed this music as crap because it sounds commercial...because they relate it with what is going on in the scene...and they take pride in not being a part of the mainstream, and not liking the music that stands for it. they bring into play factors other than the music itself. some are so biased, that it seems as though they identify with a certain style of music...and when a band that they like changes styles, that person is somewhat offended. now, i'm not saying that if a band changes styles, you have no right to not like what they are doing...as that would be along the same frame of thought.

*edit* here is a scenario

lets say that you are telling someone about a new band that you are really digging. you describe them as being a mix between opeth, tool, and queen.

well, this person really digs opeth and queen...but he thinks that tool are a bunch of pretentious prog rock wannabes. so therefore, he already has a strong bias built up against this new band. so strong, that he has practically already made a judgment on this new band...a judgment, not a prediction. this person responds with, "tool? oh, well then fuck that."

lets say that same person was an in flames fan before they changed styles. a friend of theirs picked up the new cd before this person had heard it. the friend mentioned this while describing it. "they changed styles, it seems a bit more commercial."

when this person hears this, they say, "oh, fucking great." instead of, "oh."

"So Joe, I would suggest that those you somehow believe dislike music because some teenagers happen to enjoy are indeed judging the aforementioned bands for the music, not the band."

you're right, i understand that what i am saying is somewhat delusional, as it is wrong of me to judge someone's motives for taste. but, if it is the case that some judge music this way (which is sometimes the impression that i get), i think that it would be better for them to let go of this bias.

I remember I went to a Suffocation show and my one drunk friend windmill headbanged at the exact same pace throughout the whole show regardless of the tempo of the music. Whipped Frank Mullen in the face actually. I laughed and laughed.

if in flames did what they tried to do well, i wouldn't mind the departure from the earlier albums. but it seems like they have failed in building a decent bridge between melodic death metal and a heavier version of "nu-metal". it sounds rather forced and is not completely at home in either of the genres. it is not bad to try out different styles (paradise lost did it well a couple times for instance) but in this case the end result has not been very palatable.

Ok In Flames aren't melo death anymore, but they're not quite nu metal just yet. I listened to Come Clarity again today and there are some really stand out songs, just don't compare it to their old stuff because the band they were then is not who they are anymore. Aggression has decreased production has increased, they're knocking on and they want to make some money, I've been really harsh to them concerning this album and I take back a lot of what I said.

The Poona of Peshwa said:
windmill headbanging at the exact same pace throughout the whole show regardless of the tempo of the music.QUOTE]

yes, this is fucking hilarious. its extra funny when someone is doing this, and is so into it, that they extend it an extra 2 seconds after the song is done, while everyone else is screaming with their fist in the air.

JoeVice - great points, i agree.

like was mentioned, if they were able to make the jump to a different style and do it well, then Id be all for whatever they wanted to do. As it is, though, there are a few things that really bother me about newer in flames:

1> The lyrics. Now, lyrics from TJR -> Colony werent deep, intellectual lyrics, but i think they were still well written to a large degree. Look at Worlds Within The Margin and The Jester Race (the song), for instance. Now, take a prime piece of steaming shit like Black & White:

You say that you have no regrets
But I know that you do
You told me someone stole the eye
I know him too

... "You told me someone stole the eye"???? NOT THE EYE!!! ANYTHING BUT THE EYE!!! What the fuck does that mean? I know angsty teenaged pseudo bullshit "poets" that would view this tripe as abortion inducing. Another example:

People like you
You live in a dream world
You despise the outside
And you fear you're the next one

It's in your dream
There's just one question
Should I kill?
Or should I be left behind?

Sick and tired
Of all your complaints
This is the hour
We bring it down

I've come to realize
Every little glimpse, you fade
I was told that I could fly
When least expected, cloud connected

So... ok... like... theres someone that Anders is talking about. Someone thats dreaming, or something, and he questions whether he should kill... something. Then, he warns us that this is apparently the hour that he is going to bring it down (watch out!). And when you least expect it... man this is complete horse turd.

2> Ander's voice sounds like its shot. it went from gutteral grown to emo scream. You could hear it starting to get slightly different on Colony, but not by much. Then Clayman he just sounds weak, and its stayed that way. And he cant sing normaly. He sounds like John Davis when he whines (im not just saying that, he really has the Davis whiney quality in his voice)

There are others, but im tired, you get the picture.

i'm not really much of a lyrics guy, the meaning doesn't do it for me like the sound of the word. so, i dunno....like, opeth is my fav band, and i know like %1/2 of their lyrics.

but, cloud connected...from what i have heard of in flames, is my favorite song by them.