In Flames, Trivium, DevilDriver, ZAO show last night

JohnThrax

Pre Reunion NFMB member
Mar 14, 2004
NY
www.myspace.com
FUCKING AMAZING to say the least. All the bands had something amazing to offer.

FIrst off, ZAO was actually pretty cool. They had a run of the mill screaming singer, but the music itself was pretty inventive. The guitar players hands were all over the place on the neck of the guitar.

Now when DevilDriver hit the stage, I was expecting to be bored... but I was dead wrong. These guys kicked so much ass. I was blown away by how intense they were. Limitless energy, and the playing was top notch. Dez had complete control of the crowd at all times; his voice was like a demon commanding the masses to do his will. At one point, he said "Lets make a circle pit the likes of which this place has never seen!" The whole place went ape shit; I literally feared for my life. He also ripped all the hardcore kids for the "karate dancing" that they do in the pit. I also had never seen so many women crowd surfing at a show in my life. Regardless, they made a new fan last night.

Trivium was up next, and they were pretty fucking amazing. I thought his screaming would be really weak live, but it was spot on. Not as much moshing as for DevilDriver (no band ever made it to the mosh level of DevilDriver for the rest of the night). They were a tight band, with a great light show to match the performance. Good vocal harmonies and great lead playing. Overall, it was a really good performance. I got one of their CDs signed by the whole band, so that was a plus too. They played stuff from both their albums, but the songs I remember were "Light to Flies," "Rain," "Gunshot to the head of Trepidation," "The Decieved," "Pull Harder..." and a few from their first one I cant remember.

It took a while for In Flames to hit the stage. They had this big fat Swedish guy checking their guitars and mics. He walked around shirtless the whole time too. It was funny. Regardless, when In Flames came on, they opened with "Pinball Map." I couldnt believe how tight they sounded. Their light show was amazing too. They played stuff from a bunch of their albums. "Insipid 2000," "Only for the Weak," "Episode 666," "Take this Life," "Leeches," "Vacuum," "Moonshield," "Crawl Through Knives," "Scorn," and a bunch more. I cant remember all of them.

Overall, it was a great show. I suggest everyone go out and check out this tour.

I never liked Coal Chamber, so I was a a little reluctant to check out DevilDriver. I saw them open for GWAR a few months ago. I was pretty impressed. What I liked the best, was that the bass player had the best heavy-metal hair I've seen in a long time!

"Look at my heavy-metal hair, I'll be swinging it fast!!" -Haggard

Descendent said:
What I liked the best, was that the bass player had the best heavy-metal hair I've seen in a long time!

Reminded me of Cliff Burton. I just saw the tour last Fri. in Detroit. Each band said it was their best show ever in the Motor city and Trivium said it their best show in the U.S.A. Did they play Down in the Castle/Walk as a tribute to Dime when you saw 'em? The place went fuckin' apeshit.:headbang:

When In Flames played some dude had made a sign that read "I'll give you $2 if you let me sing...." . I don't know what song. The lead singer (looked like that guy from WWE..or F...or..C, whatever) eventually let the dude on stage and it was fuckin' cool as shit. At first the vox were low and he didn't know the lyrics but when it kicked in the dude was on the mark and everyone just cheered him on. :kickass: I asked one dude what In Flames disc I should get, if any, and he said Colony. Another dude said the new one (Come Clarity). Go figure. I know that one song that I got into was "Not for the Weak'.

It was funny to hear Dez sincerely tribute a song to Detroit's finest (last time there they had to be snuck out b/c of a riot or fire or who knows @ Harpo's). That place is getting a lot more popular again. Detroit looked so cool just five days after the Super Bowl.

Bass Fellow said:
Trivium said it their best show in the U.S.A. Did they play Down in the Castle/Walk as a tribute to Dime when you saw 'em? The place went fuckin' apeshit.:headbang:
Trivium said "This has been the best crowd so far!" last night too, so Im guessing its just part of their stage show.

And they played Domination/Walk at the one I went to

Brentney Spears said:
I'd like to see Trivium versus Avenged 7-Fold grudge match for the title of metal's GAYEST BAND. God I hate them all, makes me long for good old days of Rap Metal.[/QUOTE]

STOP RIGHT THERE :err:

Let's be right about this: yeah, they're gay, but do we really want to go back to Rap Metal?

Bust out the Mordred, dude - you'll see I'm right - and they were BETTER than Limp Bizkit!

Brentney Spears said:
I'd like to see Trivium versus Avenged 7-Fold grudge match for the title of metal's GAYEST BAND. God I hate them all, makes me long for good old days of Rap Metal.
well, i like both those bands, so :loco:

I wish I could of seen that tour. Zao is one of my favorite bands and i like trivium and in flames to but I am not so big on Devildriver.

Columbus show was awesome too. Sold out. Devildriver was good. I don't think I'd get their CDs, but I enjoyed the show. Zao... I thought they were terrible except the short part where the guitarist sang. In Flames was awesome, of course. It was nice to finally see a headlining show by them. I saw them in 2000 open for Earth Crisis and last year open the main stage at Ozzfest. a whole 65 minutes between 2 shows. I got there too late when they opened for Slayer and Soulfly. Anyway, IF had a nice song selection. I didn't expect some of the songs from Colony and before.