In Flames

Hypocrisy definitely. Go the Hypocrisy forum for tons of info, but I would recommend their self-titled for melodic death.

Dimmu Borgir and Bal-sagoth are other good choices, even Opeth would be good if you want something a bit more progressive.

Dark Tranquillity - Punish my Heaven, Hours passed in Exile, Haven, Hedon, Of Chaos and Eternal Night

At the Gates - The Swarm, Slaughter of the Soul, Need, Cold

Dissection (more blackish) - Where Dead Angels Lie, Night's Blood, The Somberlain

Eucharist - Dissolved

Arch Enemy - Ravenous

Embraced - Memento of Emotions, Putrefaction

Soilwork - Follow the Hollow

Eventide - The Silence of her fall

Amon Amarth - Death in Fire, Across the Rainbow Bridge, Last with Pagan Blood, Without Fear

Detonation - not that up on their present catalogue.

Thats a good start. Some of that is fairly obscure, but its all good.

Gardenian, soilwork, arch enemy, at the gates, Opeth, eucharist, dimenzión zero, Sinergy, dark tranquility.... ALL OF THIS BANDS GO WITH THE SAME LINE, AND SOME OF THEM HAD SOME FORMER EXMEMBERS OF IN FLAMES

At the Gates are one of the fathers of the Gothenburg sound, along with IF and Dark Tranquillity. I reccomend the albums "With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness" and "Slaughter of the Soul". Try out these songs:
-Blinded by Fear
-The Swarm
-Beyond Good and Evil

Dark Tranquillity are often compared to In Flames, and considered the premiere band in the Swedish melo-death scene today. The Gallery and Damage Done are probably the best bets if you want something akin to IF. Try out:
-Punish my Heaven
-Monochromatic Stains
-The Treason Wall

how come no one has mentioned ENTOMBED???

also check out Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, and Gardenian. Hypocrisy is good, too, but don't have any albums from.

in flames are not death metal
the definition of melodic death metal is of course "Slaughter Of The Soul" and Dark Tranquility's "The Minds I"
after that one DT started playing disco ...too bad.....

Originally posted by DEEK
how come no one has mentioned ENTOMBED???
Probably because they aren't melodic death!!! :lol: I only have two albums of theirs, from the early 90s... have they changed?

Originally posted by NAD
Probably because they aren't melodic death!!! :lol: I only have two albums of theirs, from the early 90s... have they changed?

oh, good point. never mind!

btw, which albums do you have?? (and no, they haven't changed a whole lot, but some)

Originally posted by DEEK
oh, good point. never mind!

btw, which albums do you have?? (and no, they haven't changed a whole lot, but some)

I dunno, I think entombed went downhill big time after clandestine (that are left hand path are their only good albums, for me personally; although those 2 are absolutely awesome \m/ )

Originally posted by IOfTheStorm
in flames are not death metal
the definition of melodic death metal is of course "Slaughter Of The Soul" and Dark Tranquility's "The Minds I"
after that one DT started playing disco ...too bad.....

Ever listened to those albums?

I'd like you to point out how the following tracks are disco...

The Sun fired Blanks
Freecard
Rundown
The Same
The Treason Wall
Final Resistance.

The others are hardly disco either... anyway, I digress. As I points out, after Mind's I DT do show an electronical edge to their music, but as you're fine with IF that won't bother you.