In need of a pedal for a guitar

vulpine

New Metal Member
Mar 10, 2009
Hello.
I am looking for a guitar pedal. Ussualy play death/doom metal, but I sometimes like to play death metal so, if it could be universal it would be great. I also like the sound of early 1996 Katatonia. I guess Blackheim used BOSS GT-3 or he does now, but it's a processor and I need a pedal ('cause I already have a cheap and lame processor, that I bought long time ago, when I just started playing). Some people recommended BOSS DS-1 or DS-2, but I think that's not really made for doom metal. Also, there's a DigiTech Metal Master pedal, which, in my opinion, has a sandy sound. What can you recommend?
Thanks.

I had a Boss GT-6 and it was so fucking hard to get a good sound. If I changed amp I had to redo all the fucking settings all over again. So dont get a GT-6 or 8 (because they are very similar) if you dont like spending shitloads of time trying to get a decent tune.

I had a Boss GT-6 and it was so fucking hard to get a good sound. If I changed amp I had to redo all the fucking settings all over again. So dont get a GT-6 or 8 (because they are very similar) if you dont like spending shitloads of time trying to get a decent tune.

i think that's fun. well i have a pod xt live and it works well for effect but the fucking distortion is awful on it.

It's so hard when one says that something is awesome and then some other dude says the quite opposite about the same thing.

Ibanez Smashbox 7. You say it works for most genres. You mean it works for every genre? Starting jazz, ending with hardcore? That's bad. If it works for all the genres, it doesn't work a 100% for one direction. If you know what I'm sayin', but maybe I misunderstood.

BOSS DS-2. I'm thinking about this one. Godswil, do you own it? Oh could you play something with a good setting and place it on youtube?

Ibanez Smashbox 7. You say it works for most genres. You mean it works for every genre? Starting jazz, ending with hardcore? That's bad. If it works for all the genres, it doesn't work a 100% for one direction. If you know what I'm sayin', but maybe I misunderstood.

I should have said metal genres. You can get a fat heavy death metal sound if you want to and you can get a very high end black metal sound and alot more, you can also get a more tastefull(in lack of better words) distortion. Well atleast Im happy with it.

I just got a Boss GT-10 and there's almost too many things on it so you're bound to find whatever you need in any genre

What sort of pedal are you after, its quite an open question.

If you want a darker sound it might be in your guitar itself.

If its modulation or spacial then obviously we are talking phaser, flanger or delay/reverb.

If its distortion your amp will be the first issue, valve all the way.

The guitar itself works best in the doomier sound with colder darker pickups, EMG's are katatonia recording pickups however i love the sound of te dimarzios in the Setius by Mayones, check em out.

Modulation is best done via processor only due to the amount of variation you need in doom, however of course the analog world provides the best sounds. The boss gt-3 has certain analog paths in it that make it to me a secret that nobody will ever realise - why ya think it a bit noisy? Cos its real!

Complex world out there, a valve pedal into a good valve amp will sound wicked, the most important thing is the gain structure.

Yes, I have a LTD EC-400 guitar with active EMG 81/60 pickups. So that's half the way or what? :lol:
I don't want a pedal really tight connected with my amp, because I won't take it everywhere, like on stage. The Doom we are talking here is Death/Doom. No kind of Noise/Shoegaze. I'm looking for a distortion pedal.
Thanks for the help.