In need of help from some Albertans (or Banff tourists)

Dauden

Jun 26, 2006
Is that what you're called, if you live in Alberta? Ha. Ok, well I've noticed a fair amount of people from Alberta on this forum (I'm from Ontario, and you can call me Brodie), and I was wondering if I could just ask you guys a question or two, if you can even help me. I'm looking to go to Banff in the summer (well, April-August) with my friend, girlfriend, and girlfriend's sister. My girlfriend's sister has worked there over the past two summers, made tons of money, and had a blast, and so now we're all gonna go on an adventure out there, since its so easy to find work. If any of you have been to Banff, do you know of any music stores (instrument, or CD selling wise, or both, whatever) there? I've been doing research and the best I can find is Banff Music Plus, which only has a number and a fax, no site, no e-mail. I'd really love to get some sort of music related job while I'm out there, since I'm a music junkie, and thats what I'm in university for. Anyway, maybe no one's ever been there or has absolutely no idea, which is fine, this thread can die. Just a couple of the other forums I go to will be of no help, since no one is from Alberta, ha. Anyway, thanks to anyone who can give me any tips about the city or jobs or anything. I've never been west of Ontario, so just a little attempt to discover something other than the "town where I was born" :p

I know this is going to be useless information for you but I'm from Alberta! Have not been to Banff though, sorry. I only know Edmonton...

Haha, thats ok.

Apparently its insane the amount of work you can get. My girlfriend's sister was telling about how when she was there with her cousin, there was some girl she was living with who packed all her clothes into her bag and said she was going to do laundry, and they never saw her again, hahaha

Yeah it's pretty easy to get work. People are always hiring for something around here. And minimum wage isn't too bad.

Yeah, apparently all the jobs in Banff start at basically 11 dollars an hour and up, which is insanity. Cause otherwise I'd be living here in Ontario making 8 bucks an hour, living at home. And while I have to pay for a cheap res room (or split on someones basement with my girlfriend or something), and for food, which apparently isn't very expensive, I'll make more money out there. Its gonna be an awesome time too, plus the nature is inspiring times about a billion.

The rent may be expensive. Unless you are sharing with a bunch of people.

Yeah, apparently all the jobs in Banff start at basically 11 dollars an hour and up, which is insanity. Cause otherwise I'd be living here in Ontario making 8 bucks an hour, living at home. And while I have to pay for a cheap res room (or split on someones basement with my girlfriend or something), and for food, which apparently isn't very expensive, I'll make more money out there. Its gonna be an awesome time too, plus the nature is inspiring times about a billion.

^ Yeah, there's a whole bunch of residences there where you can stay for cheap apparently, and get some really good food deals. Its not nearly as insane as somewhere like Calgary or whatever. I guess no one on this forum has been to Banff, ha... maybe over the next couple of days I'll find someone who has.

I've been to Banff twice in the past 2 weeks and need to get a new park pass.
:lol:

^ Yeah, there's a whole bunch of residences there where you can stay for cheap apparently, and get some really good food deals. Its not nearly as insane as somewhere like Calgary or whatever. I guess no one on this forum has been to Banff, ha... maybe over the next couple of days I'll find someone who has.

Do you know the city very well? My girlfriends sister only ventured within downtown and the Banff Springs, though I know it isn't very big, she doesn't remember anything about music stores. Are there any music or CD stores there or anything? Or do you know? Like I said in my original post I could only find one site with slight information on one store, I dunno if its even still there. Anyway, any help would be great man, thanks :)

According to my dad's friend who lives there, Banff is extremely expensive. Your 11 dollars an hour might leave you with the same amount of money in your pocket as your $8 in Ontario. (Though I've never worked in Ontario so I wouldn't know.)

And sorry, I don't go there often enough to know of any music stores.

There is a CD PLUS in the lower level of the shopping complex on Banff Ave. The metal section is pretty good but has a high markup.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=...229059&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

Do you know the city very well? My girlfriends sister only ventured within downtown and the Banff Springs, though I know it isn't very big, she doesn't remember anything about music stores. Are there any music or CD stores there or anything? Or do you know? Like I said in my original post I could only find one site with slight information on one store, I dunno if its even still there. Anyway, any help would be great man, thanks :)

Thanks man! I'll have to look into that. And yeah, thanks Jolty, I guess all of Alberta is really expensive (living wise), but my girlfriend's sister has been there the past couple of summers, and living in residence (there's lots since its touristy, and they need places to put employees) is really cheap, like 10 bucks a day for a 2 person room, plus you can usually get discounts on food or what not. So far from my calculations, I'll end up making more out there than here, and I might end up working more than 5 days a week.

I live in Alberta (albeit far away from Banff) but I have been there many times (as well as surrounding communities like Hinton where I have relatives living). Banff is mostly a tourist town, so you'll be hard pressed to find a lot of diversity in stores.

Minimum wage in Alberta is $8/h, though I've never seen a place hire for that low.

I mean no harm by saying this, but there are a lot... A LOT of Asian people who tour there throughout the year, so there may be some communicational problems with customers.

If you're living with other people, you'll more than likely be well off and make a bit of money. There's other towns near by that you can go to if you can't find what you need in Banff. If worse comes to worse, there's always Edmonton and Calgary, or buying online.

As for jobs, the biggest jobs there are the lumber industry and, SURPRISE! tourism.

It's a beautiful place, and you won't regret being there. If you have a love of nature and history, it's one of the best places in Canada to be.

^ Awesome! Thanks for the tips. I absolutely love history and nature, and the pictures I've seen have been absolutely beautiful, definitely way nicer than here, obviously. And yeah, I'm just looking for music stores as possible back up jobs, not for buying stuff. I'm probably gonna end up working in a resteraunt or something like that, and I don't mind that there isn't a huge mix of work, I'm fine working in service, and just doing simple stuff. Anyway, thanks for that post :)