in response to kjones 'opinion' on moshing

I copy my answer to the same topic in the NY-Concert-Picture-Thread...

Sfarog said:
I love it how you people think moshpits are just a hardcore thing. Moshpits existed way before hardcore. ... In the real moshpit you have fun, and you don't get hurt.

"...Well for the shows I go to, this means non-hardcore of course :D, the common expression for what the more "sporty" visitors do is the pogo. Until this hardcore-thing came up, there were not so many people who were talking about "moshing". Pogo means, you are more like jumping around to the music and push each other, which is not violent at all. - And I enjoy it time by time, depends on the situation. At Opeth concerts by the way, it works very well, but mostly there is excessive headbanging :D
So fortunately, most of the "moshing" is really not this violent dancing, which is a completely different thing. There will be no "wall of death" at a death metal concert. (I hope)"

When I read the experiances of soundave in this thread, I see there are really differences between American and European moshing types.

...And for the "Opeth is no headbanger music" opinion: Quote Mikael Åkerfeldt: "Headbanging is the key"

From my perspective, i'd like to jump up and down in rhythm with the music, to really get into it, while also watching. and doing all of this in a respectful manner. the challenge comes when we ask, can everyone do so respectfully? i've been at concerts where they can, and concerts where they can't.

Mosh pits frighten me. Its also the main reason I dislike concerts. With all the screaming, abnoxious drunk assholes, it just ruins it. I realize for a song like Demon of the Fall, it totally psyches you up, and makes you wanna kick an ass or two (i should know, I got into a fight today while listening to it, and pumped the shit outta ma) and, sure its fun to jump around and shit, but when it gets to the point where your throwing eachother on the ground, and stomping people it kinda gets a bit out of hand.

So basically to conclude this, I would say, I myself dislike moshers but I guess its hard to control the adrenaline going through your body at times. I personally think If I ever get to go to an Opeth concert and they started playing DOTF, I'de be so excited I'de probably dive in the pit and kick the shit outta someone. But, honestly, I dont see a reason for them.

Although, as someone said, it would be cool from the bands perspective.

o_O I don't even get it, why people can get aggressive by music. Especially by Opeth. Ok, it depends on the individual.
If someone joins a mosh-pit just to reduce his aggrssion by attacking someone else, he is a hooligan, not a mosher.

Well if people want to mosh its a right they have, especially in a death metal gig.

I think if you are bothered by the moshing thing you should either ignore it or shut the fuck up.

For fucks sake people its a metal gig, its almost like saying " i want to go to the beach but i dont want to get sandy and i dont want to get wet.........and i dont like the sun"

Guess what cunts! I dont like swimming and i dont mind sand but i hate the sun so i keep my neon white ass inside.

If your bothered by it just stay away from the pit ......but still shut up.

Ive been up the front for all of the big name metal gigs that ive been to in Melbourne. Everytime i come back with bruises on my ribs from the fence up front. Sweat as fuck. Sometimes even trying not to faint.

The last gig was a killer. Fucken cround surfers agian and again hitting the back of my head. It fucken hurt but hey i was up the fornt so its a given.

It did feel good to punch a few of the repeat offenders a couple of times, and it was really good to throw one guy off ( who was virtually sitting on my head) he flew abit and smashed his head into the corner of the stage.

So if you dont like moshing belt all the cunts doing it or become that psyco mosher everyone talks about after the gig " hey you see that crazy fuck in the pit!?!?!? "

Or you can stand around i dont have anything against that, just stay away from the pit if you dont like that crap.

Its a metal gig, get into it in your own way!!!.....or dont

1. why is everyone assuming it must be aggressive?
2. why is everyone assuming it must be violent?

it has nothing to do with "controlling adrenaline". it has nothing to do with "kicking people's asses" or being drunk.

for me at least (and i have been to shows where the majority shared my perspective) moshing is like a big group dance where the whole audience is in a groove with the band, and the energy is in the air. am i out of countrol? no. am i drunk? no. am i hurting people? no. am i aggressive? no. if somebody falls down, you pick them up. moshing 101.

moshing is like a big group dance where the whole audience is in a groove with the band, and the energy is in the air. am i out of countrol? no. am i drunk? no. am i hurting people? no. am i aggressive? no. if somebody falls down, you pick them up

This is what a Mosh Pit SHOULD be. Unfortunately it's not...

I don't mosh, but moshing does not bother me. the only thing I don't like is when people keep pushing into me and shit and I always get scared a crowd surfer is going to kick me in the face. I can see how it's fun though so I don't have any problem with it. I do hate people who scream random shit though. At the opeth show in dallas everybody was screaming stupid things during all the mellow parts. It really pissed me off. People can be so disrespectful.

i was at the opeth gig in mean fiddler on sept 7th and when they opened with deliverance, i, and might i add most of the crowd went mental.
its a choice we have, mosh or dont mosh?
a few people fell over here and there and i helped them up again, thats what i would like someone to do for me if i fell over.
my point is this, moshing isnt about hurting people unless your an arsehole, its about getting into the music and having fun.
if you dont like moshing fair enough, but complaining about it on an opeth forum.....please