Moshing at an Opeth Show

IAmEternal said:
I think at the Toronto show, Opeth got the least moshing out of the three bands. I saw the most during the Moonspell set (which was pretty cool, I don't mind those guys so much anymore).

I thought it was hilarious that the most crowdsurfing in any song of the whole show was probably in Windowpane. I saw a lot of people get dropped while crowdsurfing too. Serves them right, I say :p

you are joking, right about the most people moshing during moonspells set, right? RIGHT? i was trying to start the pit every time moonspell played a heavy part. no one wanted to get in!!! only at 2 moments was someone else in the pit with me. 3 guys i came with, just at the beginning, and then for a while 2 or 3 guys. i stood in the pit for all of their set. even after i twisted my ankle. NO ONE WAS MOSHING during their set!!! opeth's pit was killer compared to moonspells.

damn that show was the most damaging to me.... twisted ankle, bruised leg, and back, and sore neck... dang

Haha Gin, I guess I was just too caught up in the fucking insane music of Opeth to notice the moshing, but I got pushed around the most during Moonspell's set.

I do enjoy a good mosh at times but I definately wouldn't want to indulge in that at an Opeth concert. Being a musician myself I would much rather listen to their beautiful masterpieces and watch their fantastic musicianship at its best. I hate when Im not in the moshing mood and one starts around me. Its sometimes damn hard to get out.

Ok well heres my take on it. Opeth are one, if not my vary favorite bands in the world. Although I apriciate them as musicans, theres plenty of talented musicans out there. What makes Opeth my favorite is the way they touch me so deeply on an emotional level. Seeing Opeth live means I get to let all the emotions out of me, its a real catharsis. When I saw them in SF about a month ago, I didn't mosh the whole time, mostly stood there head banged, watched them play and got real into it. But for Deliverance and Demon of the Fall, I just had to mosh, I mean there such high energy, heavy songs, I mean I had to let it all out. The pits were very controled, which was good, so everyone let their emotions out without hurting anyone.

But yeah people moshing during the soft parts. That didn't happen at my show, but man thats just pitiful...

Gin_from_the_bottle said:
did you see a guy in army pants, opeth-bwp tour shirt, shoulder-length hair pushing everyone?
and what did you wear? if you got pushed during moonspells set, then it MUSTve been me!!!
no man i got pushed indirectly as a result of other pushing, I was off to the side (peter's side)
. i was wearing Tshirt with Opeth logo on front, Opeth band pic on back
and dark pants.
I'm fucking tall (6'6''), reddish hair.

and yea, i think i saw you crowdsurfing once, and pushing people and stuff.
it was a good show!

Gin_from_the_bottle said:
^^^^
i think i saw you there.

Seems like metalheads are taller than most, but I still stick out a bit.
I wish i was fucking up against the rail there, it was my first time seeing their heavy set and i wanted to get good pics and shit.

also i didnt get to meet them this time either but it still owned

^^^^
i was one of the first 20 people who entered. i could be on the rail, but then id miss the pit, wouldnt i? i saw them 3 times in 13 months.. but that show was the best i saw by them. after the show i met Peter, Martin M., and moonspells bassist after the show. got their autographs. now ive got 2 Peters autographs. go me!!!
also i forgot my digital camera at home, so no pics for me.

Esoterik said:
Why do people do it?
I don't know, but I've seen pple mosh to almost everything, including Dio, Helloween, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil and some other bands that I don't recall at the moment that are not what you'd think of as "moshing" music. I've been wondering myself! Unfortunately dealing with moshers became a part of going to a show nowadays. I managed to get really close to the front at the NYC show yesterday and all the moshing was going on behind me, but I've seen pretty violent moshpits at Opeth shows before.

-GK