Opeth Live Show Question.

Aug 16, 2002
Richmond, Va
Visit site
What are the crowds at Opeth's live shows like? I ask because my dad is going to see a show with me in May, and I'd like for him to be able to go up front with me without getting crushed or trampled. Is there much moshing? (blegh, I hope not) Anyone who tries to mosh at an Opeth show should get a kick in the nuts. So yeah, would it be alright to take my 50 year old pops up front with me at the show?

They moshed in Oz. I think I was the only person dancing my funky moves. Which is stranger?
lol.gif

When I saw them in LA in Feb. there was only moshing do to request for the last song, Demon of the Fall :)

I don't really like moshing...its good for shitty shows you don't care about, but Opeth? I want to enjoy that show :)

I can't wait :) I'm seeing them with Nile, Lacuna Coil, and Behemoth (then those other 2 shitty bands I won't stay for...loL) in LA May 3rd! :)

I wonder what the setlist will be this time around? My setlist will most likely differ from the ones you guys will see (the headlinging shows)

Well, when I saw them in january, the only heavy moshing that went on was at the beginning of the show with "The Leper Affinity" and then at the end with "Demon of the Fall". Of course people attempted to get some small pits going throughout the show, but the place just erupted during the encore.

I was at the Brisbane concert, up the front in the middle the whole time. I got thoroughly crushed and kicked in the head by many crowd surfers but I fucking loved it. The crowd calmed down every now and then, I don't know what it was like a few rows back but it was fairly constant up at the front...

Why do you guys hate moshers? If you have the adrenaline and it gets you into the music then go for it I say. Opeth seemed to love the crowd, when they came back out to play demon of the fall Mikael asked "aren't you all tired yet???... well you'd better be fucking tired after this." He also said he had extended the setlist for us. If you don't like that shit just stay away from the front centre so you can get out of the way pretty easily. I certainly wouldn't subject my dad to that sort of punishment, but I really fucking enjoy it. It's kind of hard to picture the same concert with no moshing, maybe us Aussies are just fucked up. :D

mac said:
I was at the Brisbane concert, up the front in the middle the whole time. I got thoroughly crushed and kicked in the head by many crowd surfers but I fucking loved it. The crowd calmed down every now and then, I don't know what it was like a few rows back but it was fairly constant up at the front...

Why do you guys hate moshers? If you have the adrenaline and it gets you into the music then go for it I say. Opeth seemed to love the crowd, when they came back out to play demon of the fall Mikael asked "aren't you all tired yet???... well you'd better be fucking tired after this." He also said he had extended the setlist for us. If you don't like that shit just stay away from the front centre so you can get out of the way pretty easily. I certainly wouldn't subject my dad to that sort of punishment, but I really fucking enjoy it. It's kind of hard to picture the same concert with no moshing, maybe us Aussies are just fucked up. :D

What he said.

Moshing is so fucking dumb and disrespectful to the band and decent people trying to enjoy the show. Anybody who isn't STILL and QUIET should be kicked out. I probably wouldn't care about moshing at some dumb shit like Cannon Ball Corpse, BUT NOT AT OPETH.

as far as i can remember there was abit of moshing but more head banging round the front so i don't think it's that wise to bring your dad up there but like most people have said,if you stay towards the side you should be fine :)

ScorpionShard said:
Dude I wish my dad would come to an Opeth gig with me
mad.gif
Yeah, I'm pretty excited. He mainly likes almost all of their acoustic stuff, but he said that he doesn't dislike it when they get heavy. I let him listen to Deliverance and he said, "Man, I would love to see this song live," so I jumped on the opportunity and he said he'd love to go. Pretty cool.

About the moshing though... I'm not really anti-moshing. I think that it fits well with hardcore shows and I enjoy it when I go to them. I'm not a huge fan of moshing at metal shows, though, because I don't feel it fits the music. When you're seeing a band that plays slow, chugga chugga, drop-D one-fret power chords over and over, the mood is right for moshing. When you're seeing a band who is playing far more technical stuff, I think that headbanging is a more proper way to appreciate it. But, I shouldn't go around condemning those who do mosh - they are doing what is fun for them. I just don't want to have to put up with an asshole who tries to start a pit by himself in the middle of the people who have located themselves in an area that won't attract moshers. Moshing is fine in the middle of the venue, but I don't think it's appropriate for the sides, back, or very front, especially at a metal show. I'm all about headbanging to metal, but maybe that's just me.

Heheheh, the gig in Manchester was hilarious. This guy was slamming into everyone within a 3m radius, then some guy headbutted him, and he stopped. Then, when Demon of the Fall started, about 10 people ran to the front with an evil glint in their eyes, and one of them got that guy in a headlock and started beating the crap out of him.....So I wouldn't go to the VERY front....I was very close to the front though, and I was fine. Just don't go right in the centre if you want to avoid the moshing.

rofl.

moshing, disrespectful?
mate, bands WANT you to go nuts, it shows your enthusiasm for their music. standing there looking bored doesn't quite give them the same vibe

the perth show was fuckn mental. if you want to avoid the moshing, as someone else said, just try and get slightly to the side
you can still be close to the front, just don't be right up at the rail and in the middle =) you WILL get crushed :)

- ham

p.s. pathogen slay.