A question about Opeth live...

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
Since I missed Opeth when they were in my area, I was curious about their live show:

I was given free tickets to see Slipknot and System of a Down last night. Right before SOAD came on, there was an incredible rush of people crashing the floor (in a venue that holds 5000+ which was full). It was quite a sight. The floor was so tightly packed, its ebb and flow from above looked almost surreal.

Is there that Slipknot level of craziness in the fans at an Opeth show, or is it seem a little different. I guess it's a question if Opeth fans are manic? I realize this is a subtle question, but I've been to many shows, and never seen a rush to the floor like last night - out of no where, people flowed down every aisle at the same time.:eek:

Well, when I saw Opeth live this summer, it was at
maintreem festival. A lot of different bands play.
All from metal to pop to rap to techno...
SO you get a large variety of people. But the specific
day that Opeth played, on that specific stage there
were only metal heads :eek:) We got to see Einherjer,
Opeth, In Flames and then Mayhem in that order.

Anyways... We were just a couple of hundreds up front
when Opeth played... We were all just standing there
enjoying and headbanging >:eek:) Hehe...
All until Demon Of The Fall got played...we got a litte
"jump along, mosh and headbang as much as you like"
period... But mostly the people stood there enjoying
the music, listening...

I think a lot of people there discovered Opeth for the first time...
If the crowd was bigger I think we would have taken off more,
and if it was later in the evening....

Mind if I ask a different question under your topic? ;)

Do they really play acoustics live? I believe it would be pretty much impossible to switch in the middle of a song, like Demon of the Fall or something...

I saw Opeth live this summer and from what I could tell of the crowd when not moshing my head off or checking out how the guys played a big part of the people watching them seemed rather mesmerized. Or maybe that's just me..

Vortex: They had BOSS GT-3 effect pedals that gave their electric guitars a bit more acoustic sound, even if they didn't switch guitars during the set. Let us just say that it was acoustic enough..

--

N/P: Opeth - Still life

im gonna see opeth soon and the place im seeing them wont hold anywhere near where you saw SOAD, maybe if lucky there will be a couple hundred, i prefer the small venues myself, although its nice to see a band in a large arena too.

i've been lucky enough to see them three times now, and aside from one or two losers who are just there for the scene, people actually pay attention to the music, are mezmorized by it like Hannu said. at the milwaukee metalfest there were quite a few people that didn't know them, but the other two times were in a small club, so everyone was singing along and headbanging. a little moshing broke out for demon of the fall, but that was it. thank god.

obviously their music isn't as great live since they can't switch to the acoustic guitars, etc. and i've also read mikael say they don't rehearse much, which is unfortunately apparent. but who the fuck cares? it's still unbelievably amazing to hear those songs we all love so much live. actually, for one of the shows they were nearly flawless. and then they came back a couple weeks later and sounded kinda shitty -- think it was the club's fault though.

and one thing i think is just so great of them is that they play at least one song from every album. i think that is so respectful to the fans -- i hate when a band leaves some of its fans unfulfilled at shows. it also shows that the band is proud of every album too.

BLACKSPIRIT: i assume you're talking about the Quart festival? I read about that online before it happened and i nearly shit myself. what an amazing lineup -- something that diverse would never happen here. my cousins live about 45 minutes from trondheim and i was trying to convince them to go, but they didn't! aaaggghhh!

Opeth is the greatest live band ever. They don't use acoustics, but Peter told me before the show that if they ever get headlining on big enough stages they would love to do full set-ups.

PS: why the hell were you at a SLIPKNOT show!?!?!?!?!? I would love to beat the shit out of those guys for their level of arrogance and ineptitude...I know people playing instruments for less than a month who are better musicians than Shitknot....

Come on now, he never said he liked them, just that he got free tickets. Personally, if I got free tickets to a show like that, I would go; though I don't like the music at all, it would be an entertaining show. :rolleyes:

I saw Opeth at the House of Blues in Chicago back in April with Amorphis. There was some moshing that went on during the heavy parts. It was actually quite funny to watch since I'm pretty sure a lot of the folks that were moshing really weren't familar with Opeth's songs at all. They'd mosh, then Opeth would go into a mellow clean part, then they'd stop and just stand there with this goofy look on their face, then mosh... so on and so forth. The moshing was at least fairly civilized. Luckily I didn't have to be a part of it. When I go to a show I go to watch the band perform. Nothing more, nothing less.

Originally posted by Pierced Spirit
Shitknot fucking sucks. If you like them, please stop listening to Opeth before you soil their fanbase. And try buying some musical taste, if thats possible.

You newbies should think before you speak. ;)If you've read enough of my threads, it's quite evident that Slipknot is not on my list of musical wonders. Let me repeat myself - I was given free tickets, so why not a night out? It was a show - kind of like going to wrestling. It was fun watching it all - the band, the crowd reaction, etc. It was NOT about the music.

I've been to Alanis Morrisette, Journey, Peter Frampton, and others of this ilk (free tickets). I've seen Biohazard, Boy Hits Car, Nullset, Nonpoint, Static-X, Disturbed, etc etc. Fun shows all. I am a metalhead, and Opeth - Nevermore - The Tea Party are my #1,2,and 3 bands. But a show is entertainment - I don't go to all just to analyze musical talent (unless, of course, I went to an Opeth show). Actually, Nevermore (along with Overkill) is coming to my area @ the end of November - I'll be there.

Shitknot fucking sucks. If you like them, please stop listening to Opeth before you soil their fanbase. And try buying some musical taste, if thats possible.

I find it kind of funny that when anyone even mentions Slipknot, that it's like some sort of disease, like the plague. It's like you have to distance yourself from them as far as possible or you're not a true metal fan, and don't appreciate real, serious music (whatever that's supposed to mean). You must also ridicule and denigrate them at every possible opportunity.

I don't care for Slipknot much at all, but at the same time it's not exactly the worst music in the world. I'd rather listen to them instead of some of the fucking recycled-pop bullshit that wafts around like a bad smell on the airwaves. Sure, when you look at them, it's obvious that they have limited musical talent, but hey, it's only because we know better and have experienced greater music.

I'm not ashamed to say that when I was first getting into metal a few years back, one of the albums that got me hooked was Slipknot's first release. Since then my tastes have evolved quite considerably (shit, that sounds really conceited :D ) and I've discovered some really amazing music that totally surpases the simplistic quality of Slipknot. But at the same time, if I hadn't bought that album, maybe I wouldn't have gotten into other metal music, who knows?

Hm. I saw opeth at wacken this summer. And after moshing around to some other bands before I found opeth as a REAL release... finally I could just stand and be amazed (and have a girl in my arms, eeh) by the music. Every one know complains about opeth beeing boring live. I don't really see them as a realmosh band that you just want to tear the palce apart when you hear. opeth is more like art for me. I can just dream away and see the notes swirl around and play with each other. opeth is GREAT live... they never stop to amaze me... and if ppl complain about their live performance then, fuck 'em!

Originally posted by Lina
BLACKSPIRIT: i assume you're talking about the Quart festival? I read about that online before it happened and i nearly shit myself. what an amazing lineup -- something that diverse would never happen here. my cousins live about 45 minutes from trondheim and i was trying to convince them to go, but they didn't! aaaggghhh!

Yupp, the lineup made me go even though
I really had to work, I had a cold + a fever
and nearly no voice! >:eek:) Hehehe...
Nothing could stop me! I told my boss that
if I didn't get to go I would quit, so I got a
whole week off... Then I got sick, but shit...
That line-up only happens once in a lifetime!

Trondheim is quite far from the Quartfestival
though... And all these lame Norwegians
can't be bothered to do the travel >:eek:)

and i've also read mikael say they don't rehearse much, which is unfortunately apparent

:err: :s I am not sure if i have ever disagreed with anything more than i do with this, in my experience of seeing them live anyway. I saw them at the milwalkee metal fest and in Atlanta and was amazed how perfectly they pull off their songs.
jAY

Shut the fuck up you Texas Inbred. You have no right to tell somebody to stop listening to Opeth because he went to a free concert of a band you don't approve of.

How was SOAD live MMCPA?

Originally posted by Sadistik
Opeth is the greatest live band ever.

I respectfully disagree.

Opeth are not very good live, as they don't hearse much, and because they don't use acoustics.

However, most ppl at the concert were there to LISTEN, not headbang. I got to hang out with the band b4 the show, beat Lopez in fussball, and shared some smokes, and asked some questions. WELL worth it.

I went to see Opeth at L'amours in Brooklyn. The crowd was insane, really packed in tight, swaying the whole show, moshing breaking out a little bit, Opeth really loved the reception they got, and looked really pleased with the crowd reaction, I was actually standing in the front next to four black girls, there for the show, only in New York

Originally posted by Wolff

Shut the fuck up you Texas Inbred. You have no right to tell somebody to stop listening to Opeth because he went to a free concert of a band you don't approve of.

How was SOAD live MMCPA?

First of all - thanks. I guess I must of missed the list of approved bands for listening. :)

SOAD were really good in concert. They had a big screen behind the stage - the pictures were in tune to the music, and at times quite comical. The floor was a zoo - the venue holds 5000 people, and I think most of them were on the floor.

Their music was clean, and was a good reproduction of the album. A little too much bass, but not distorted. it just took a little away from his voice.

Originally posted by leadfoot256
:err: :s I am not sure if i have ever disagreed with anything more than i do with this, in my experience of seeing them live anyway. I saw them at the milwalkee metal fest and in Atlanta and was amazed how perfectly they pull off their songs.
i heard quite a few mistakes in milwaukee, but they had to use shit equipment, so that probably didn't help matters. but like i said, the second time i saw them in virginia, they were flawless. it was really great. and not surprisingly, i've read that they didn't rehearse for milwaukee much, but did for their tour.

Originally posted by tintin I was actually standing in the front next to four black girls, there for the show, only in New York
how awesome is that?! that's cool. there were these four frat guys at one of the virginia shows that knew ALL the words to EVERY song. i was stumped. :eek: but it was good to see.