In search of a NEW guitar!

RockGuitarX

Miles of Machines
Sep 14, 2008
SA Texas, USA
Well my Gibson Explorer 1984 Re-Issue model failed me :mad: Besides having the finish by the nut cracked, I found glue and wax still on the fretboard, the electronics control space was was not sanded and still painted over so it looked liked icicles and then when I held the guitar to the light I noticed that the neck had a "lump" in it like it had not been filed down all the way. So, I returned it and have currently $1,450 in store credit.

Now comes the ultimate cliche question on a gear forum! Anyone have any recommendations towards a guitar in the price range? My local store deals the following brands: Dean, Epiphone, Gibson, B.C. Rich, Ibanez, Jackson, P.R.S, & Rickenbacker. Not the best selection but so far I'm looking into these two guitars.

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=KingV-Body&page=1&product=2803041803
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=Rhoads-Body&page=1&product=2803061803

Not a Floyd Rose fan. Thanks!

To bad you can't just get the money back and go buy a custom.... Mine wasn't much more than what you listed.....

Wow, I keep hoping one day my faith in Gibson will be restored, but looks like I'll still be waiting, cuz that kind of shoddy, sloppy craftsmanship has been my experience with all the Gibsons I've played! Totally go for the King V dude, I like it SO much better than the regular rounded Gibson-style V, and the Rhoads is so done to death IMO. That white, those zebra pickups, the headstock, and the inlays all SCREAM sex appeal :)

WHAT THE FUCK, just looked and saw it's a 24 3/4" scale!?!?!? Godammit, what the hell were they thinking? Well that rules it out for me (not like I'd want a V anyway, but even moreso now), after playing my EC400 in C-standard with that length neck and now going to my Ibanez Prestige with a 25.5" neck, I can never go back.

And now, looking back at your first post and seeing your shop carries Ibanez, this guitar is the one I have (though mine is blue), and I ADORE it (though since I was used to a tune-o-matic, I found the bridge to be too close to the body, so I had a tech put a shim of wood in the neck joint to raise it and thus letting the bridge be raised, and now it's absolutely perfect!) - $1400 too :)

To bad you can't just get the money back and go buy a custom.... Mine wasn't much more than what you listed.....

What was the brand of the custom you bought? That's a deal for a little over $1450!

Wow, I keep hoping one day my faith in Gibson will be restored, but looks like I'll still be waiting, cuz that kind of shoddy, sloppy craftsmanship has been my experience with all the Gibsons I've played! Totally go for the King V dude, I like it SO much better than the regular rounded Gibson-style V, and the Rhoads is so done to death IMO. That white, those zebra pickups, the headstock, and the inlays all SCREAM sex appeal :)

WHAT THE FUCK, just looked and saw it's a 24 3/4" scale!?!?!? Godammit, what the hell were they thinking? Well that rules it out for me (not like I'd want a V anyway, but even moreso now), after playing my EC400 in C-standard with that length neck and now going to my Ibanez Prestige with a 25.5" neck, I can never go back.

The larger scale guitars are easier for my hands but I don't mind the 24 3/4 scale that much as I've been used to Epiphone/Gibson guitars. LOL You think the Rhoads has been done to death? IDK man, It looks pretty killer but I personally haven't seen too many people with them?

And now, looking back at your first post and seeing your shop carries Ibanez, this guitar is the one I have (though mine is blue), and I ADORE it (though since I was used to a tune-o-matic, I found the bridge to be too close to the body, so I had a tech put a shim of wood in the neck joint to raise it and thus letting the bridge be raised, and now it's absolutely perfect!) - $1400 too :)

Is it neck through or bolt on? The pickups seem cheap and I've never heard of the bridge or tuners? Enlighten Me :) That flamed maple top looks wicked with the black onyx finish.

Yeah man, to me the Rhoads is like THE definitive metal guitar. And as for the Ibanez, well it is bolt on, but then again, so are many Caparisons ;) And the pickups are just as good as other hi-end Dimarzios, they're just labeled IBZ cuz they're made for Ibanez in particular. The tuners kick ass, they're Gotohs, and the bridge is a propriety Ibanez design that works great for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, that looks absolutely bodacious; all the sexy features of the King V but without the horrid scale length, and while it may be advertised as light-weight, it's still Mahogany, so all is well there. For that price (and since it doesn't explicitly say it), I'd guess it's not USA made, but if ESP LTD is anything to go by, that's by no means necessarily a bad thing!

Ah, found it on Musician's Fiend, and they say it's a new model (they don't even have a pic), so I guess stupid fartypants Jackson didn't see fit to update their own website with it :rolleyes: Hmm, and it has a '59 in the neck AND bridge, intriguing...

Ah, found it on Musician's Fiend, and they say it's a new model (they don't even have a pic), so I guess stupid fartypants Jackson didn't see fit to update their own website with it :rolleyes: Hmm, and it has a '59 in the neck AND bridge, intriguing...

Ya man I couldn't find the product specs on this guitar from their website either, but from what I could gather from Drum City Guitar Land, it seems like a pretty wicked guitar. I agree that the 2 59's is a bit strange.. I would probably end up getting different pickups anyways as I would have left over money if I bought this guitar. I'm curious to where Jackson makes their pro series.. I think it's Japan? I used to have a DKMG years ago and it's bringing back memories...

Again, my Faded Explorer is perfect :) Sorry to hear about your reissue man, really sucks. Is it only store credit because they had to order it from Gibson or what? Are you sure there is no way to just get the cash back?

~006

Again, my Faded Explorer is perfect :) Sorry to hear about your reissue man, really sucks. Is it only store credit because they had to order it from Gibson or what? Are you sure there is no way to just get the cash back?

~006

Believe me man, I would love to get cash back... They're a bad ass local shop with a lame return policy. I've been doing business with them for 8 years and only once have I gotten cash back.. but it wasn't easy or very fun.. :heh:

I dunno dude, that Jackson looks absolutely perfect, and you'll still have like $350 left over!

I know man! I'm really considering it now... Right now I'm thinking about what kind of pickups I should throw in there if I bought it.

EMG 81/85
EMG 85/85 (Since the guitar will be brighter)
Duncan JB in Bridge and leave 59' in the neck

EDIT: My Duncan's always sounded fantastic with Peavey's but they seem a lot less saturated in my Mesa compared to the EMG set (81/60) that was in my Gibson. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

I thought this was kind of cool. Here's a "review" if you will for this guitar from the sevenstring forum - http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/st...kson-sls3-pearl-white-not-safe-for-pants.html