In search of a NEW guitar!

On another note I just wish companies like Ibanez, Jackson, etc. would make more of their guitars non-tremolo! I don't think tremolos are worth all the hassle :bah:

If you only knew how much I agree on this...fuck man. I've always thought it was retarded that companies don't make every guitar they offer in both trem and non-trem versions. Otherwise any guitar I look at with a trem I have to factor in the price of a Tremol-No with it.

~006

If you only knew how much I agree on this...fuck man. I've always thought it was retarded that companies don't make every guitar they offer in both trem and non-trem versions. Otherwise any guitar I look at with a trem I have to factor in the price of a Tremol-No with it.

~006

Yeah man, that would make a world difference when choosing a guitar if companies had all their guitars with both options.

Metaltastic: Could you post/send me a pic of your axe with the EMG's? I'm curious to how the pickups fit in the body. Thanks!

So far I'm leaning towards a Jackson USA RR1-T. If only they made the USA Kelly NT!!!

Fifth Horseman: I used to have a Jackson DKMG about 4-5 years ago. Do you think that the SLS-3 would be a better quality guitar? I'm really trying to set in on a main guitar and my concern is that the SLS-3 will feel "cheap" kind of like my DKMG did :/

Here ya go dude:

DSC00223.jpg

As you can see, the two slots where the threaded nuts for the pickup mounting screws go are TINY on the RG, so the excess plastic on the EMG's there (here's a pic, notice how big those black rectangles are) has to be removed (easily done with a Dremel that I got at Home Depot for $25, thing fucking RULES), as well as some plastic on the body of the pickup itself to be able to cram it in the cavities.

Also, there has to be some routing on the bottom of the cavities to make room for the quick-connect stuff, but I let a tech do that when he was wiring up. Also, notice I have the volume knob removed, cuz I pick Petrucci-style with my pinky anchored under the bridge pickup, and I would always bump into the knob. Like I said, not perfect, but the best option for a blue guitar! :) And dude, don't get a V, especially not a Rhoads V - besides the fact that I don't like 'em, you'll be in HELL trying to play that fucker sitting down :mad:

~006

And of course, I agree as well... it has become my main quest to score all the cool stringthru models (three of mine actually are JacksonStars which are only made for the japanese market... had to import them).

Fifth Horseman: I used to have a Jackson DKMG about 4-5 years ago. Do you think that the SLS-3 would be a better quality guitar? I'm really trying to set in on a main guitar and my concern is that the SLS-3 will feel "cheap" kind of like my DKMG did :/

Definitely yes, better quality.
The smooth painted neck, neckthru heel and ebony board make a world of difference in the feel department. Though some people prefer satin finished necks, I like Jacksons painted necks much better. I mostly play my neckthrus nowadays...

Any chance to try before buy? Or to try somewhere else and then ordering at that store? Because I can only give you my humble opinion, in the end it's YOUR opinion that counts...

all good things come expensive my man! if you want to be taken as a serious musician you need to invest in your rig, no one likes to see a squire and a zoom pedal on stage

anywho different courses for different horses

all good things come expensive my man! if you want to be taken as a serious musician you need to invest in your rig, no one likes to see a squire and a zoom pedal on stage

anywho different courses for different horses

Dude, your gearlist contradicts your entire statement. :rolleyes:

Definitely yes, better quality.
The smooth painted neck, neckthru heel and ebony board make a world of difference in the feel department. Though some people prefer satin finished necks, I like Jacksons painted necks much better. I mostly play my neckthrus nowadays...

Any chance to try before buy? Or to try somewhere else and then ordering at that store? Because I can only give you my humble opinion, in the end it's YOUR opinion that counts...

I think that they might have the SLSMG, which is pretty similar if they have the one in plain black but not the SLS-3. Yeah man, I totally agree with ya that it's gonna my own opinion in the long run ;) I just wanted to make sure it was gonna better quality than my DKMG which felt very cheap IMO. It's looking good so far and I would have extra dough left :)

I almost forgot! Thank you metaltastic for the pics and the info, I thought that actives would need a little more work to install on that geetar. :kickass:

Mick: Yeah man, I agree that obviously the higher end gear usually comes with a high price tag. Which both Jackson's IMO are not cheap! BTW I wish I could have a Caparison! Thanks man.

In advance SRY for the triple post :)

I know I said I'm not a big fan of the Floyd Rose because of the hassle but I swear this bad ass almost makes me not want to care about that shit. :heh:
KE2_SW_U17250combo.jpg

You're right Metaltastic, the more I think about the RR1 model might not be the best choice for my main axe. Fifth Horseman, I'm grateful for your help! I'm now somewhat sure I will either get the Jackson USA KE2 Kelly or the Jackson Pro SLS-3. I'll let ya know which one I get when the time comes ;) Thanks guys!

PANTS...CAN'T...CONTAIN...BONER...OWW

HOWEVER, if I may share this pic of me from way back in Oct. 2005:

574205454_l.jpg

You'll notice that guitar looks awfully familiar ;) Granted, this was a cheap model I had to borrow from some punker cuz the (shitty) guitar shop in Oneonta (fortunately there are two others that rule) BUTCHERED the wiring of the EMG's on my old Ibanez, but that thing was the most NECK HEAVY guitar I've ever held; honestly, while it may have looked awesome, constantly having to rear back to get the fucking neck off the ground was not very conducive to good playing. So my advice is: TRY IT FIRST :) (especially while standing up)

PANTS...CAN'T...CONTAIN...BONER...OWW

HOWEVER, if I may share this pic of me from way back in Oct. 2005:

You'll notice that guitar looks awfully familiar ;) Granted, this was a cheap model I had to borrow from some punker cuz the (shitty) guitar shop in Oneonta (fortunately there are two others that rule) BUTCHERED the wiring of the EMG's on my old Ibanez, but that thing was the most NECK HEAVY guitar I've ever held; honestly, while it may have looked awesome, constantly having to rear back to get the fucking neck off the ground was not very conducive to good playing. So my advice is: TRY IT FIRST :) (especially while standing up)

:erk: Reminds me of my SG! lol Maybe that's just the low end model Kellys? (crosses fingers) Ya man I'll definatley have to give it a shot like any guitar I buy and see how it works out for me. Thanks for the input man! :kickass:

EDIT: You know what would be really kick ass!? A nice Ibanez Prestige model that's white with black hardware. Or any guitars that my dealer carries (Dean, Fender, Epiphone, Gibson, Ibanez, B.C. Rich, Schecter, P.R.S, Jackson)? Preferably white w/ black hardware :lol: Anyone know of any good one that exist that I have not come across? I might just go for a tremolo system because I always do have my LP for backup :) Damn, so many choices... I'm feeling like a chick shopping during Christmas.

Damn Black Chrome ... (http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG2550Z)

hey my hear list is not too bad! much better compared to most of the other guitarists i've come across. and for someone in college full time and with no job and being only 20 years old i think im doing ok with my rig. obviously there is so much more i would like to have and that will all happen come summer when i finish college...duhh! haha

hey my hear list is not too bad! much better compared to most of the other guitarists i've come across. and for someone in college full time and with no job and being only 20 years old i think im doing ok with my rig. obviously there is so much more i would like to have and that will all happen come summer when i finish college...duhh! haha

I'm not bashing you, just saying. That was kind of a weird statement. Remeber this....

200px-EVH_frankenstrat.jpg

It's the playing that gets you "taken seriously", not the gear. Not to mention the majority of the thread before you posted was about Jacksons. That would mean Randy Rhoades, Rob Cavestany, Dave Mustaine just to name a few weren't taken seriously because they play jackson. guitars are a very personal thing and I couldn't name but a handful of great guitarists that play caparisons and could name millions who don't.

In fact I'll be bold enough to say that 90% of the most elite "shredders" play Ibanez, or Dean (now).

You HAVE to find what YOU are most comfortable with! Money or other people shouldn't influence your decision to buy a guitar that you like to play :D And yeah, EVH got the sickest tone ever from a Charvel scrap wood pile for 50$

Do you know how they make the guitar light weight? Is it just a thinner body? Thanks man!

According to the former marketing manager from Jackson, they use lightweight mahogany, which is just the usual mahogany wood but cut from trees farther away from the water (rivers etc.), haha. :D

Actually the biggest reason I don't like floyds is because the recessed floyds feel uncomfortable to me, as the bridge is too close to the body. Which puts my picking hand into uncomfortable angle.
My buddy owns a Charvel 750XL which has a non-recessed floyd and I can play it just fine. Still got the hassle that comes with it but at least I can play it without problems. :)

The import Kelly models indeed have the typical neckdive problem. It's not as bad with the KE2 as it is neckthru and the strap button is right in the middle of the neckjoint. Some KE2s aren't neckheavy at all, some are kind of, probably depends on the individual weight of the body.
You can remedy the problem on import bolt-on models by relocation the strap button to one of the neck screws. If that doesn't solve it, put the strap over the front of the body... granted, that doesn't look as cool. :lol:

I once tried some Caparisons, very nice and inspiring guitars and the TAT3 (or whatever it was called) even had a non-recessed floyd. But for the price they come at, I would just get a USA Jackson and be done with it. ;)

Good luck with your choice!

Solution for guitars with Floyds: Tremol-No. Hard-tail that motherfucker.

~006