In search of a NEW guitar!

Yeah man, when I think Jackson, I think 25.5" super strat SHRED MACHINEZ - and honestly, as for pickups, I'm in a bit of a crisis of faith myself, cuz the 81 really does sound too sterile, but I'm just finding the 85 too damn muddy in my Ibanez. Thinking I might try a Duncan Custom, cuz I HATE the JB (this guitar came with one in the bridge the previous owner had installed, flub-city), and apparently the Distortion is just a JB with a ceramic magnet. Or maybe a Blackout bridge...

And no fucking way am I paying for a Bareknuckle :)

EDIT: Or maybe 18-volt modding an 81 would alleviate its sterility...

I might try a Duncan Custom, cuz I HATE the JB (this guitar came with one in the bridge the previous owner had installed, flub-city)
EDIT: Or maybe 18-volt modding an 81 would alleviate its sterility...

If the JB is flub city, then I would seriously consider listening to the clips on the Duncan site of the two pickups. I have the Custom in the bridge at the moment and I've been considering a switch to a JB for ages to clean up the lowend abit and to get more grind.

I'm also thinking of the 18V mod for my hellraiser too. EMGs can sound great, but yeah, way too sterile at times.

SLS3 is made in the jackson japan factory, and if the slsmg is anything to go on, and it is!, it will rip the fuck out of just about all other guitars. One of the best guitar designs ever, you have to play one to find out. Fret access, playability, finish quality, all rips. The only change I'd make to my slsmg would be a maple neck...I want an sls3 pretty bad :lol:

Why don't you just get another Gibson Explorer and make sure it's a good one before taking it home?

Woah, had I known there was a Jackson discussion in this topic I would have chimed in much sooner... :D

Well the first batch of KV2Ts was accidently made in 25.5" scale, but I believe those only came in ghost flame finishes (most or all blue ghost flames, I don't know). And of course they are hard to find, the first batch was only about 30 pieces.

While the Rhoads may be more popular than the King V, it's definitely not done to death IMO. At least not anymore... in 2002 in Wacken almost every band had at least one guitar player with a Rhoads, but nowadays you rarely see them. Or any Jackson, for that matter.

The SLS3, like all Pro series Jacksons, is made in their Japan factory. From my experience they are of better quality than the korean LTDs (there are exceptions from both brands though... and of course I'm biased :p ). And as bibz said, it is an awesome design, the fret access is unmatched and the shape is very comfortable.

I'm not a fan of the '59 at all (and not of EMGs either), in my Jacksons I prefer the Duncan Distortion or Custom.
Also got JBs in two of them, but I'm kinda undecided about it... in my basswood DKMGT it's kind of muddy and flubby, in my all-mahogany JacksonStars NASL it works like a charm. My buddy also got one in his Epiphone Les Paul and it sounds nice and tight as well, so the JB is probably a good match for mahogany guitars in general.

Anymore questions about fixed bridge Jacksons, feel free to ask... that's my kinda territory... :headbang:
l_e8666e71c26131b65f9d83e6e8ea0882.jpg

Yeah man, when I think Jackson, I think 25.5" super strat SHRED MACHINEZ - and honestly, as for pickups, I'm in a bit of a crisis of faith myself, cuz the 81 really does sound too sterile, but I'm just finding the 85 too damn muddy in my Ibanez. Thinking I might try a Duncan Custom, cuz I HATE the JB (this guitar came with one in the bridge the previous owner had installed, flub-city), and apparently the Distortion is just a JB with a ceramic magnet. Or maybe a Blackout bridge...

The JB in my Les Paul sounds really clear and tight. That being said I also had the 81/85 setup in the LP and after a nice comparison I thought that the EMG's sounded like shit. Different guitars different sounds cause the EMG's sounded great in the Explorer but they are very compressed and sterile. FWIW I had the SH-6 in my LP as well (guitar is a pickup slut) and it didn't sound nearly as mean as the JB.

SLS3 is made in the jackson japan factory, and if the slsmg is anything to go on, and it is!, it will rip the fuck out of just about all other guitars. One of the best guitar designs ever, you have to play one to find out. Fret access, playability, finish quality, all rips. The only change I'd make to my slsmg would be a maple neck...I want an sls3 pretty bad :lol:

Yeah man thanks for the input! The SLS3 seems like it hit some good points that the slsmg didn't have. Pretty wicked axe man!

Why don't you just get another Gibson Explorer and make sure it's a good one before taking it home?

The Explorer I had was a 1984 Re-Issue model that was part of Gibson's Guitar of The Week series. Only 400 in the world were made, so I don't think I can get one just like it unfortunately... but where one door closes another one opens :)

Woah, had I known there was a Jackson discussion in this topic I would have chimed in much sooner... :D

While the Rhoads may be more popular than the King V, it's definitely not done to death IMO. At least not anymore... in 2002 in Wacken almost every band had at least one guitar player with a Rhoads, but nowadays you rarely see them. Or any Jackson, for that matter.

The SLS3, like all Pro series Jacksons, is made in their Japan factory. From my experience they are of better quality than the korean LTDs (there are exceptions from both brands though... and of course I'm biased :p ). And as bibz said, it is an awesome design, the fret access is unmatched and the shape is very comfortable.

Anymore questions about fixed bridge Jacksons, feel free to ask... that's my kinda territory... :headbang:

Yeah man your help would be bad ass! This is probably very noob but if I were to compare the SLS-3 vs the RR1T, I'm guessing that the RR1T would have better quality? I'm debating if I should just save up or go for the SLS3... How durable are the thin body guitars? I'm used to a LP which I can beat to hell ;) And enlighten me on the quality of the bridges and tuners that come with pro shop jacksons! Thank You very kindly!

While the RR1T is expected to be of better quality than the SLS3 because of the higher price, the difference is probably smaller than you think.
The RR1T might (MIGHT!) have better inlay work (less filler around the edges) and possibly a little better fretwork, but we're talking about nitpicking here. Both guitars should be fully gigable and a pleasure to play if you get them setup to your liking.
And if you beat your guitars like you say, you're probably not one of those guys who goes over his guitars with a magnifying glass looking for flaws... ;)

The only difference you should be aware of is that those sharkeye inlays of the SLS3 are made of MOTO (fake mother of pearl, some kind of plastic) with a real abalone part in the middle, while the RR1T inlays are real mother of pearl.

Concerning the hardware:
My guitars you see in the picture above are all made in Japan except the Warrior, which is an entry level model and made in India. I have gigged with all of them and never needed to retune during a show. Except for when I bump the headstock into our singer... :D Speaking of bumping, I still haven't been able to put a dent or scratch into any of my Jacksons, though I've had my fair share of "ouch" moments... they are really solid including the finish.
The tuners have a sturdy feel to them with enough resistance when turning. The black finish on the tuneomatic bridges wears of after years of use, but all of them are still in good shape, saddles are still fully adjustable.

I have been able to play several USA Jacksons in the past, including a RR1T and a NAMM 2004 Custom shop Soloist, and I can honestly say I wouldn't pay the high price for them (USA models are more than double the price of the highend Japanese models) as I am fully satisfied with my Japanese Jacksons.

My advice is to pick the one you like better in terms of specs and looks, because I'm sure you will be happy with either one you get. :)

You cant go wrong with an USA jackson, pickups may not be what you want but the rest of the deal is ACE
I have a SL2-H and its hands down one of the best guitars I've ever played

If the JB is flub city, then I would seriously consider listening to the clips on the Duncan site of the two pickups. I have the Custom in the bridge at the moment and I've been considering a switch to a JB for ages to clean up the lowend abit and to get more grind.

I'm also thinking of the 18V mod for my hellraiser too. EMGs can sound great, but yeah, way too sterile at times.

Yeah, passives were a fleeting thought, because having that buffer that lowers the impedance with active pickups is so useful for long(ish) cable runs and capturing DI's, so I don't wanna sacrifice it. I figure I'll order a pair of Blackouts, do a big shootout (blind this time ;)), and see which I like the most!

Yeah, passives were a fleeting thought, because having that buffer that lowers the impedance with active pickups is so useful for long(ish) cable runs and capturing DI's, so I don't wanna sacrifice it. I figure I'll order a pair of Blackouts, do a big shootout (blind this time ;)), and see which I like the most!

Be sure to post that asap dude! I've been interested in the blackouts recently.

-Joe

While the RR1T is expected to be of better quality than the SLS3 because of the higher price, the difference is probably smaller than you think.
The RR1T might (MIGHT!) have better inlay work (less filler around the edges) and possibly a little better fretwork, but we're talking about nitpicking here. Both guitars should be fully gigable and a pleasure to play if you get them setup to your liking.
And if you beat your guitars like you say, you're probably not one of those guys who goes over his guitars with a magnifying glass looking for flaws... ;)

The only difference you should be aware of is that those sharkeye inlays of the SLS3 are made of MOTO (fake mother of pearl, some kind of plastic) with a real abalone part in the middle, while the RR1T inlays are real mother of pearl.

Concerning the hardware:
My guitars you see in the picture above are all made in Japan except the Warrior, which is an entry level model and made in India. I have gigged with all of them and never needed to retune during a show. Except for when I bump the headstock into our singer... :D Speaking of bumping, I still haven't been able to put a dent or scratch into any of my Jacksons, though I've had my fair share of "ouch" moments... they are really solid including the finish.
The tuners have a sturdy feel to them with enough resistance when turning. The black finish on the tuneomatic bridges wears of after years of use, but all of them are still in good shape, saddles are still fully adjustable.

I have been able to play several USA Jacksons in the past, including a RR1T and a NAMM 2004 Custom shop Soloist, and I can honestly say I wouldn't pay the high price for them (USA models are more than double the price of the highend Japanese models) as I am fully satisfied with my Japanese Jacksons.

My advice is to pick the one you like better in terms of specs and looks, because I'm sure you will be happy with either one you get. :)

Yeah man that's good to hear that quality hardware is standard on the pro series. I'm very picky about my guitars and I'm the kind who bust out the magnifying glass as well :lol: but I still like my guitars to be able to take a beating ;) Do you know how they make the guitar light weight? Is it just a thinner body? Thanks man!

Yaa me too - 4 of 'em :)
Jackson SL1, Parker Fly Deluxe, and 2 Gibsons - Explorer & SG

Ya man! It looks so damn .. awesome!

Do you know how they make the guitar light weight? Is it just a thinner body?

Pretty certain that's exactly what it is; judging by the pics in that ss.org review (especially the top-down one) it seems to have a similar shape as the Ibanez S series; thick in the middle, thin at the edges. But since both the body and neck are mahogany, that's pretty much the fattest, thickest tone-wood out there, so I really wouldn't sweat it dude!

Indeed. The S series with mahogany body is some of the only ones I would consider from Ibby. I use to own an S470 a loooooong time ago, miss that shred machine.

~006

I'm 50/50 with Ibanez personally, can't seem to find anything "my style" from them. On another note I just wish companies like Ibanez, Jackson, etc. would make more of their guitars non-tremolo! I don't think tremolos are worth all the hassle :bah:

Yeah, I cry myself to sleep every night cuz I no longer have an axe with a Floyd, but I would NEVER want it as my only guitar