"in your face snare" how to get there...

I don't really program drums. So the DFHS software was pretty useless to me. Then I went out to look in the individual folders to grab the individual samples to use in drumagog and I couldn't work out what sample was what... so I picked a few I though they sound ok and put them in drumagog... thin as fuck. I messed around with them - not happy. Then I picked up Andy's snare files from this forum and smae kinda thing, they sound good, but not quite there...

if you like that sample, just write a note (the snare one) on the midi editor assign the sound you want to that note, then bounce to disk.
You'll get your sound without browsing those folders!

cheers

@ Gomez / GarbageCan: Adding more bottom mic usually helps to get the snare really into the face, but if that doesn't help can you give me say 2 bar clip so that theres everything but the snare and the snare separately so I could try something out? My email address is atenhunen@kolumbus.fi

That's nice of you. Yes, I can could send you the tracks... the question is when! I'm super busy at the moment. I'll let you know. Thanks!

Wow, there's some strange stuff going on here, so let me add my 2 cents.

You'll achieve the best immediate results by using pre-processed samples like the Slate pack. The Slate pack has amazingly snappy transients and is stupidly easy to mix with. If you can't work something using a blend of the Slate samples, then it's a good indicator that your methodology is flawed in some fundamental way!

If you have to cut more than 15dB on anything, consider that you screwed up the tracking, and try it again. The only exceptions I can think of are some really prominent rings on snares, but even there try to be moderate. After all sucking out all the ring and resonance will take out all the life. It's okay to have a bit of snare decay going on. Hell, just listen to Nickelback's 'All the Right Reasons'.

I think people here have a tendency to go overboard sometimes. Try to be moderate, and only get extreme if you really have to, otherwise just re-track.

Use transient designer/developer or something similar. Just mess around with the EQ to find a sound you like and put this plugin on the snare bus. This is way better then a gate.
What did this plugin -> you can change the transient;) in peak and length. Cubase 4 and logic 8 have this plugin in the dynamic section. I think Sonnox had made one too.

Good luck with that.
You can use andys snare with drumagog and then put the Transient designer as sesond plugin in the buss. Use settings to start with like more punch,room killer, more attack....
The key is make the transient very short, so you get the smack in the face. After that you can use a little reverb to get some room back without destroying the good sound

mix two or more samples together, this can help, make a send to another track and put on that send aptrigga or drumagog, than group send and main, compress etc

an extra snare stem goes a long way if the mix is not properly balanced and eq'd...

create space for the snare in the mix a few selective cuts on the guitars and kick will allow it to breath more in the mix.....