In your opinion...the most epic song?

Lost Horizon-Highlander (The One)

Lost Horizon in and of itself was 'epic'... I sooooooo miss hearing Daniel's voice singing something new...

Epic for me - all though 3 seperate songs, Kamelot's Elizabeth trilogy was pretty damn kewl... I'm also big on Circus Maximus' 'Mouth of Madness' and 'Glory of the Empire'...

S.O.D. - 'Diamonds And Rust (extended version)'

The Gates Of Delirium by YES

Light OF Day, Day Of Darkness by Green Carnation

A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning

The three most epic songs ever written!

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm what makes epic? length is usually considered...but it has to be quality throughout, and not get repetitive. i usually envision something with alot of atmosphere to it, and with alot going on in many cases. but also mix up tempos, volumes...good build ups and such. also with some good hooks. hmmm...

Blind Guardian- And Then There Was Silence

Lost Horizon- The Kingdom Of My Will

most people know the BG one so i'll just link to the Lost Horizon.
-just scrolling through my entire itunes real quick, those two stand out and I cannot think of any that top them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm not sure that length is always a factor. I have always seen epic as being "bigger and better than the rest". It could be just that one really standout track that keeps you coming back.

Nightwish - Ghost Love Score
Equilibrium - Mana
Pink Floyd - Pigs (Three Different Ones)
Rhapsody - Dawn of Victory
Wintersun - Battle Against Time
Savatage - Chance

...to name a few.

There are a lot of long songs in the metal world, but I end up liking only one out of every ten. Most of the time these bands create a song that's long, but only because there's a lot of filler.

For me, Theocracy's 20-minute song on the latest album, is a perfect example of a song being long because it has a story to tell. The story is so dense that there are no long instrumental breaks. I was thinking of naming that as the best epic song ever, but even though it's long, it doesn't really strike me as an epic. But it is probably the coolest long song ever.

Even a lot of good bands are guilty of just having pointless instrumental interludes, or even interludes without instruments at all, but just spoken word and some keyboard flourishes to make it seem more dramatic! Nightwish's Poet and the Pendulum, as good as it is, just didn't need that middle spoken part that lasts for 1:30 or so. Avantasia's Seven Angels also has a pointless interlude of about 1:00-1:30 in the middle. and then there's the wanking that goes on in some of the more progressive epics. Dream Theater is really guilty of some of that. Although some people dig that, so I can at least understand that they are appealing to a core audience.

Man, this is a hard one for me! Lots of great Epic songs I Love! Okay, I'm gonna try to make this short, but here's some that
come to mind: 1-Manowar-Bridge Of Death, 2-Queensryche-Roads To Madness, 3-Judas Priest-Beyond The Realms Of Death, 4-Iced Earth-"The Something Wicked Trilogy" (in it's entirety!), 5-Iron Maiden-Alexander The Great, 6-Savatage-Chance, 7-Fates Warning-Night On Brocken,
8-Venom-At War With Satan (yes the whole thing!), 9-Dio-Egypt-(The Chains Are On), 10- Saxon-The Eagle Has Landed
11-Rush-2112 (all) & Cygnus X-Book 1! Oh, and 12-Pink Floyd-Dogs (this has been one of my all time fave epics for many years!) :)

I agree with the above people about And Then There Was Silence. That was the song I thought of when I read the first post. But my second favorite epic song would have to be Theater of Salvation by Edguy.