In your opinion...the most epic song?

Voivod: Jack Luminous --> I'd love to hear this song played between various sets at PPX.

Metal Church: Badlands
Judas Priest: Blood Red Skies
Fates Warning: Guardian
King Crimson: The Court of the Crimson King
Dream Theater: Space Dye Vest
Iron Maiden: Blood on the World's Hands
Uriah Heep: The Golden Palace
Overdrive: Dream Away
Accept: Metal Heart
Raven: Run Silent Run Deep
Samson: Earth Mother
Threshold: The Art of Reason

Interesting choice, but as far as Wintersun goes I would choose Death And The Healing :worship:

Like I said, for me epic could simply be the standout track. I think that Battle Against Time is a flat out ass kick of a song, I especially love Jari's melodic chorus in there. Don't get me wrong though, Death and Healing is primo!:kickass:

On a random note, does anyone else find similarities Between Jari Maenpaa and Devin Townsend's vocal styles? I think a great example is the track that Jari did for the Nuclear Blast comp "Out of the Dark". Check it out

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll add a few runner's up on my list, a few of which have already been mentioned :)

Iced Earth - "Dracula"
Demons & Wizards - "My Last Sunrise"
Ayreon - "Into the Black Hole"
Orphaned Land - "The Kiss of Babylon"
Saviour Machine - "The Eyes of the Storm" (well, pretty much any song, actually)
Extol - "Undeceived"
Borknagar - "The Witching Hour"
Dream Theater - "Space-Dye Vest"
Gamma Ray - "Anywhere in the Galaxy"
Stratovarius - "Destiny"

For me... epicness is pushed only by emotion. Length of song should have little to do with it (though often times, the emotion must properly ebb and flow over time). A few that make the grade with me:

Ulver - Funebre

Virgin Steele - Child of Desolation

Agalloch - Summerise Reprise

Anathema - Are You There?

Agalloch - The Lodge

I am SURE there are others that will come to mind, or that have moved me quite a bit over the years. I have purposely not chosen any classical works, because frankly classical music has epic down to a science.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love a killer epic track! Couldn’t possibly pick just one:

Symphony X – The Odyssey and Accolade I & II
Fates Warning – The Ivory Gate of Dreams
Dream Theater – A Change of Seasons, Learning to Live, and The Glass Prison
Queensryche – Suite Sister Mary, Eyes of a Stranger, and Anybody Listening?
Shadow Gallery – I Believe
John Arch - Cheyenne
Iron Maiden – Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Savatage – Chance and Morophine Child
Kansas - Closet Chronicles and Miracles out of Nowhere
Rush – 2112

On a random note, does anyone else find similarities Between Jari Maenpaa and Devin Townsend's vocal styles? I think a great example is the track that Jari did for the Nuclear Blast comp "Out of the Dark". Check it out

Yup! Jari's biggest influence is Devin Townsend, as stated in several interviews. That said, Wintersun is incredibly epic! :headbang: