Incredible Lyricists...

RETIREDTrapped

New Metal Member
Sep 12, 2001
Personally, I beleive that Mikael Akerfeldt is one of the best writers around (...and one of the best singers i have ever heard too)

I was foul and tainted, devoid of faith
Wearing my death-mask at birth
The hands of God, decrepit and thin
Cold caress and then nothing
I was taken away from my plight,
A treason bestowed to the crowd
Branded a jonah with fevered blood
Ungodly freak, defiler

Pale touch, writhing in the embers
Damp mud burning in my eyes
All the faces turned away
And all would sneer at my demise

I get chills every time i hear his clean-singing of 'Pale touch...' etc. He is amazing.

I turned away my eyes
In pallor escape from the end
Fading time to leave from here
And less to fulfill my task
She would be safe and firm
Nothing of this is in vain
Taken away from stifling grace
And saved from the past

Who is everyone elses favourite lyricist...?

I know that i don't know you
And you couldn't know me
But time and space collided
and here we are, here we are

I know that you don't understand
And i can't explain
But circumstance conspired
and here we are, here we are

Jim Matheos
Fates Warning
(extract from APSOG)

"The moon she hangs like a cruel portrait,
Soft winds whisper the bidding of trees
...as this tradgedy starts, with a shattered glass heart,
and the midnight-mare trampling of dreams
..But oh... No tears, please.
Fear and pain may accompany death,
But it is desire that shepherds it's certainty,
as we shall see..."

Dani has some great lyrics (...and some bad ones too), especially on midian...

Originally posted by Trapped
"The moon she hangs like a cruel portrait,
Soft winds whisper the bidding of trees
...as this tradgedy starts, with a shattered glass heart,
and the midnight-mare trampling of dreams
..But oh... No tears, please.
Fear and pain may accompany death,
But it is desire that shepherds it's certainty,
as we shall see..."

Dani has some great lyrics (...and some bad ones too), especially on midian...
dani the puke has way more bad lyrics than the few good ones he might have! then again it is all how someone might perceive it (like every other thing in this planet!).

Jeff Walker, Mike Muir...two complete opposites, but great in their own way.

lsd i'm sick of your worthless opinion about anything. you're no authority on lsd or anything other than the art of being a fucking target. if you ever made the mistake of tripping acid with me, i would most assuredly psyche you into a state of catatonic schizophenia leaving you huddeled in the corner in a fetal position begging for your nightmare trip to finally end. i wanna bash your stupid head in with a piece of rock from the radiated ruins of the acropolis.

Originally posted by romolus
lsd i'm sick of your worthless opinion about anything. you're no authority on lsd or anything other than the art of being a fucking target. if you ever made the mistake of tripping acid with me, i would most assuredly psyche you into a state of catatonic schizophenia leaving you huddeled in the corner in a fetal position begging for your nightmare trip to finally end. i wanna bash your stupid head in with a piece of rock from the radiated ruins of the acropolis.
someone's got their panties in a twist...
as for my favorite lyricists, they are Warrel Dane and Paul O'Neil (Savatage's producer)

Originally posted by romolus

So, exactly how big is the stick in your ass? And what kind of tree did it come from?

As for vocalists, Warrel Dane is the best. He's amazing. And his lyrics(which is what this thread is about) are absolutely amazing too.

My favorite lyricist include: Warrel Dane, Phil Anselmo, Bruce Dickinson, Geoff Tate, Ozzy Ousbourne, Maynard James Keenan, Away from VoiVod, and Paul O'neil.

Pardon my American ignorance but who does Mikael Akerfeldt and Martin Walkyier write/sing/perform for? I hope I'm not ridiculed for this, I feel bad enough asking this question.

Also, romolus, Who jerked your chain or pulled your fucking string? Did you ever think that maybe others are tired of your opinions. Also, "tripping" isn't about being violent. I've tripped on acid and shrooms over 20 times and I've never wanted to bash someones "stupid head in." I'm not claiming to be an L.S.D. expert, but you need valium or xanax (zanex) and chill the fuck out.