InDesign Question

Eyesore

Apr 9, 2002
Boston
www.eyesoretimes.com
I need to create a book block for a 6 x 9 book with a .125 bleed area on all sides. What are the pixel dimensions for this? I am not a pro at this stuff, but I do know my way around Photoshop. Why these fuckers couldn't make everything similar is beyond me. Insert is Place? Pffft! Took me an hour to figure out how to insert an image. Sure, I was being stubborn, but I figured I was just missing the obvious. I didn't think the Adobe programmers were high when they created InDesign.

Anyway, because InDesign is different (and because I totally stoleded that shit), I'm a bit lost. Can anyone help?

when u go to new document cant u just put for the dimensions "6.125x9.125"?

it is doing point x point. change it to inches x inches.
That's what I thought, but I couldn't find how to change that. Hmmm...

indesign.jpg

N.B. Your program opens with 'Points' as the form of measurement. I have preset mine to begin with 'Millimetres', thus my tutorial will begin with 'Millimetres'.

First and foremost, insert the dimensions as you want them to appear in inches (6.125x9.125)
An example is shown in the image below:
mm.jpg

The remove 'mm' after the dimensions, and replace them with 'inch'
An example is shown below:
inch.jpg

Press 'Tab' to move to the box below, or simply click outisde the 'Page Size' box. Your dimensions will automatically be converted (in my case, millimetres)
An example of what will happen is shown below:
fconvert.jpg

Repeat the previous step with the box below...
sconvert.jpg

And you're done!

However, If you do use the dimensions Lothlorien suggested (and as shown here), I recommenend you change all your margins to 0.125.
Just os you don't get confused, but it's your choice.