Adobe Photoshop Elements (or similar)

HeadCrusher

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
(I know, it's not audio software but this forum is supposed to be for software so I hope it's ok that I post this here.)

I was looking at Adobe Photoshop Elements because I need some sort of at least semi-professional image editing tool. The features I need the most are Layers, the Lasso tool and I'd like to be able to create animated GIFs.

Anybody tried it yet? Can you confirm that it's capable of what I need? Or can you suggest anything else?

The free tools (like GIMP) don't appeal to me that much. I guess I want something with support in case I ever need that. Ultimately I'd go for the real Photoshop if it wasn't so damn expensive...

I'm on a Mac.

Thanks for your tips.

i use PS elements and i can not tell a big diference to the "big version"
layers work, lasso tool works, not sure about the gifs though.

do you just want to "draw" the pics in there or do you also
want to "animate" it directly in elements...not sure if this works even in the big version.

Where did you get you copy and how much did it cost? It's kind of shady to find a retailer for that. Looks like they only want to push CC these days...

The GIF-thing would just be a bonus. Since everybody is posting animated GIFs on Tumblr these days I figured it would have to be rather easy to get done or otherwise not so many people would do it.

Anybody else have any different suggestions software-wise?

i got it from amazon in a bundle. the elements version of adobe premiere wa salso included and it was like 89€ only.

[ame="http://www.amazon.de/Adobe-Photoshop-Elements-12-Premiere/dp/B00F2HDE3G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392638562&sr=8-3&keywords=photoshop+elements"]http://www.amazon.de/Adobe-Photoshop-Elements-12-Premiere/dp/B00F2HDE3G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392638562&sr=8-3&keywords=photoshop+elements[/ame]

haha, i haven't tried it to be honest, i bought the bundle because it
was cheaperthan the single edition. i'm sure it's OK but also very basic, it's still
a good think to have especially because there is no difference in price so you basically get it for free.

GIMP is currently the only freeware package that can be called an advanced image editor. If you don't like it I guess that PS Elements is the way to go for you.
Specially now that Adobe decided to stop releasing new versions of their stand alone programs. Now they have the Creative Cloud, a monthly subscription system.
Oh, and PS Elements does have animated GIFs, you just need to put the frames in layers and check an option when exporting.

^Awesome about the GIFs. :)

Do you mean they won't be releasing any new Elements editions of their programms anymore?

I'm all for Creative Cloud, I think it's a great system. It's just too damn expensive for what I need. :(

^Awesome about the GIFs. :)

Do you mean they won't be releasing any new Elements editions of their programms anymore?

I'm all for Creative Cloud, I think it's a great system. It's just too damn expensive for what I need. :(

I guess so... the Creative Cloud is too expensive for people who don't make a living of it. Even more if you don't get paid in american dollars. They will lose a lot of share if they stop making one-time licenses at all.

Anyway, Adobe pricing, even for upgrades, is a bitch, so be sure that you want what you're buying and don't rely on future upgrades. :p

I'm a graphic designer and find Creative Cloud to be a horrible system. I don't plan to upgrade my copy of CS6 Master Collection until Adobe no longer supports it. Screw their subscription plans...

FWIW, I'd try GIMP first. I dunno if it can do animation, but it's a very capable program, and it's free.

They had Photoshop CS2 legally free for a good while before that cloud shit came up, pretty sure you can still find it somewhere.