Industrial metal

Krztar

New Metal Member
Aug 31, 2004
Im sure this topics been done to death, but Ive yet to find one.
Anyways:
Ministry (and revco.), VOID, Sybreed, Hanzel und Gretyl, Bile and Black from the Dead, Cynicon, NIN, Chemlab, kmfdm and Rammstein are some industrial metal/industrial type stuff I like.

Skinny puppy is alright, nothing great.

So, what are yours?

none of those bands are metal.

the only bands ive seen mix industrial and metal are the berzerker, zyklon, myrkskog, cadaver inc...
~gR~

Ministry is good although not metal. I only like 3 albums though;
- Psalm 69
- Land of Rape and Honey
- The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste

Best industrial metal is Fear Factory !~!

I wouldnt have said Zyklon was industrial metal though. But I've never really paid that much attention to them, as I find them a tad dull.

Red havest and Godflesh are probably my favourites. Stick to Red harvests older stuff (Hybreed, Cold dark matter, Sic transit gloria mundi) tho as there new one isn't all that good.

genocide roach said:
none of those bands are metal.

the only bands ive seen mix industrial and metal are the berzerker, zyklon, myrkskog, cadaver inc...
~gR~

Most of them are.
Late Ministry is industrial metal.
VOID is industrial black metal.
Cynicon makes industrial metal, same with Sybreed.
And Bile has alot of metal laced in their music.

Also, I didnt say all those bands were metal, I put "industrial metal/industrial type stuff" as a description.

sikth said:
yeah, those guys are pretty good, though all Ive heard is "Streetcleaner".
Also, the Berzerker is alright, I think their first album is their best work.

I was gong to mention Fear Factory, early Godflesh, and Red Harvest.

Fear Factory - Demanufacture and Obsolete
Godflesh - s/t and Streetcleaner
Red Harvest - Hybreed and Cold Dark Matter

Those are really the only ones a person needs.

Hmmm... here's my recs for industrial metal:

Red Harvest - Hybreed, New World Rage Music, Cold Dark Matter, and Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Strapping Young Lad - Heavy as a Real Heavy Thing and City (best industrial metal album by far)
Rorschach Test - Unclean
KMFDM - NIHIL (only KMFDM album that I would call industrial metal)
Die Krupps - Rings of Steel
Mnemic - both albums

As for just straight up industrial rock stuff, I'd go with anything from Foetus, KMFDM, Pig, 16volt, Chemlab, Swamp Terrorists, etc.

Most industrial metal is just amped up industrial rock, it doesn't have many metal elements to it... I'd loosely consider Ministry industrial metal(they're definitely industrial but the metal end is a bit lacking), Red Harvest, Godflesh or Axis of Perdition would be much better recommendations... I wouldn't consider zyklon, myrkskog, the berzerker, or cadaver inc. industrial metal bands for the same reason I wouldn't classify Aborym, Dark Tranquillity, or Anaal Nathrakh... synths or keyboards and samples don't automatically qualify something(the same way as Solos don't make something metal and breakdowns don't make a work hardcore, they're just commonly associated elements).

16 Volt is really good. i'd consider them just industrial though.

also check out Diatribe, they're another really good industrial band.

oh yeah, Slave Unit too if you can find them (put out one album on COP). they're local and pretty cool. they mix punk with industrial.

Fear Factory
Red Harvest
Aborym
Blut Aus Nord (their most recent album)
The Berzerker
BlackLodge
Dead World
Dimension F3H
Dodheimsgard
Count Nosferatu Kommando
The Electric Hellfire Club
The Kovenant
Machinerie Perfect
Malmonde
Scarve
Void
No Return (their later stuff)
The Axis of Perdition

A good bit of the industrial type stuff I have is post-black that goes in the industrial direction, Aborym, Red Harvest, ...And Oceans. I also love Strapping Young Lad.

Aborym, Bile, Die Krupps, Frontline Assembly (which one of their band members does
programming for Fear Factory), Red Harvest, Kidney Theives, Kevorkian Death Cycle
and so on although some of these bands are not metal they are extreme lyrically and
for industrial musically.

KMADD said:
Aborym, Bile, Die Krupps, Frontline Assembly (which one of their band members does
programming for Fear Factory), Red Harvest, Kidney Theives, Kevorkian Death Cycle
and so on although some of these bands are not metal they are extreme lyrically and
for industrial musically.
not extreme compared to power electronics and noise but than again it all goes back to what your subjective definition is i suppose...

E6V6I6L said:
16 Volt is really good. i'd consider them just industrial though.

also check out Diatribe, they're another really good industrial band.

oh yeah, Slave Unit too if you can find them (put out one album on COP). they're local and pretty cool. they mix punk with industrial.

16volt are not pure industrial. They are coldwave, which basically means industrial rock. Industrial almost never has instruments in it, so if a band has guitar as a prominent part of their sound, they are NEVER an industrial band.