Inferno (Unleash the Fire) (Guitar)

ashyg

New Metal Member
Mar 28, 2004
I need help playing this :/
I detuned my guitar a whole step like they do in the song...
Guh, mine sounds nothing like it! Does Romeo alternate pick? It sounds less like the song when I alternate pick, but when I regular pick it still sounds wrong :///
Maybe I should record it and you can tell me what I'm doing wrong?
-Michigan guitarist of 5 years

it is alternate picking indeed (most probably every good guitar player plays alternate picking in such lines). What do you mean by "regular picking"?
And yes, it is kind of difficcult to help if we can't hear it..:)

ashyg said:
I need help playing this :/
I detuned my guitar a whole step like they do in the song...
Guh, mine sounds nothing like it! Does Romeo alternate pick? It sounds less like the song when I alternate pick, but when I regular pick it still sounds wrong :///
Maybe I should record it and you can tell me what I'm doing wrong?
-Michigan guitarist of 5 years
What part are you playing that sounds wrong?

The intro is alternate picked, and it is an exercise of control. It's moderately fast, but not blazing so you really need to focus on clarity and precision. Just start slow...use a metronome and then gradually speed it up to the 160 bpm or whatever it is.

I do not know what regular picking is...I presume it is whatever you classify as your normal picking style...for me that would mean alternate picking. It may be economy for you. In which case, I would find the intro very difficult to play.

yea, most of the lines I play are sweeped.
I do mostly downpicking for the several years I've played. Just for the past few months have I alternate picked consistently.

That intro is kinda strange.. I don't use any tabs, just taking it all out with my ear. I found out that the absolute first part is hard to understand so i just improvise, but those short lines that lies a little higher on the guitar was no problems at all.

By the way, is it only one guitar in the intro?

The only thing to say is take it very slow in the beginning, and since it's almost all single-string stuff then it's alternate picked. And if it sounds wrong when you detune, maybe move to a heavier string guage. The low tension might be the reason it sounds bad (I have the same probly when I detune to play SX).

im currently learning that song as well. what about the verse riff. how do you play the harmonic? the right speaker track is something close to 7th fret a string and just some octave-harmonic on that. the left speaker however is something much higher. i dont really know what he plays there.
and do you pick the (-1-0-1-0-1-4-) fill or is it just legato? its almost imposible to hear.

whats your views?

as for the intro, i play it all alternate. and as everyone said start slowly.

i really like the song because the whole thing has such a strange construction. i mean the first intro and the guitar theme is in G phrygian, the keyboard intro is in... what is it? Bb dim? the verse riff is E prygian the chorus is in F minor, the first solo is in C# frygian and so on. considering that, it is amazing how well everything fits. sy-x are really good at changing keys! ;)

have a nice day!

Kalle

You gotta remember with the keys - they tune down a whole step, so everything's lower. But yeah, the modulation in the song flows so well it's just incredible.

I can't say much about the pinch harmonic in the verse - I use 6th fret and vibrato/bend the fuck out of it - it gets close. There are definately two guitars doing that on the album. The 1-0-1-0-1-4 thing I do legato, it sounds right that way.

the intro is very similar to yngwie malmsteen's trilogy suite
this aint a hard song, i think its the easiest symphony x song

with easiest i mean... the less difficult

OfSinsAndShred said:
I can't say much about the pinch harmonic in the verse - I use 6th fret and vibrato/bend the fuck out of it - it gets close. There are definately two guitars doing that on the album. The 1-0-1-0-1-4 thing I do legato, it sounds right that way.

Yeah, there's two guitars - you can hear two different pitches of squeals (one in the left speaker, one in the right).

I think I play the verse the same way you do (but on bass): 1p0-1p0-1/4-|-0-6~--0-----etc...

Which tab are you refering yo? I'm kinda uninformed, haha, but has Symphony X (Romeo, of course) released any complete transcription book over "the Oddesey"?