Info on a Mikael Side-Project

metalheadmaniac0

New Metal Member
May 2, 2006
I'm pretty sure this is true: Supposedly, Opeth frontman Mikael, the Porcupine frontman and producer, and Mike Portnoy drummer of Dream Theater, agreed on releasing a side project together. I wanted to confirm this, and check if anyone here might know when that would be coming out. Thanks!

I asked Mikael about it the other night, he said something along the lines of

"Yeah, its true, I don't know when it's gonna happen but it should be sometime soon".

Should be quite amazing.

well thats awesome, people have opinions about not having Portnoy but I think it would be great with him:D

Crysiss said:
well thats awesome, people have opinions about not having Portnoy but I think it would be great with him:D

Portnoy is one of the greatest drummers ever. I don't see why someone would frown upon him.

metalheadmaniac0 said:
Portnoy is one of the greatest drummers ever. I don't see why someone would frown upon him.
People are always shitting on Portnoy on the internet and I have no idea why. I think he's a good guy and a great drummer - a great hairy, polyrhythmic bulldozer. Being into all three of these collaborators, I'll definitely buy it if they release something together.

A great drummer yes, but i don't think he deserves the godlyke status that he receives. imo there are better drummers. my personal favourite is thomas lang who isnt a metal drummer but can do everything portnoy can and more.

Heckelgruber said:
People are always shitting on Portnoy on the internet and I have no idea why. I think he's a good guy and a great drummer - a great hairy, polyrhythmic bulldozer. Being into all three of these collaborators, I'll definitely buy it if they release something together.

sure, portnoy is a solid drummer...but he's not very diverse, in my opinion.

Wilson wants to do heavier material (let's face it. he sucks at writing evil-sounding riffs. The psychedelia/progressive genre is his forte), and Portnoy wants to do go outside the typical bounds of Dream Theater heaviness (which means even MORE boring double bass and china crashes)

i think this project needs a little more jazz/world music influence...perhaps Virgil Donati? i don't know if he'd be into the style, but it would certainly bring an entirely new flavor to an unwritten record that we've all basically heard before. (hypothetically, folks)

also i think it'd be ideal if Akerfeldt did both soft AND heavy material on this project...granted, it's most likely going to sound Opeth influenced, but he's got all the expertise in the brutal metal songwriting area. (MAYH, anybody?)

Haha... I can't believe it - the Portnoy fight breaks out again :D can't you people talk about something else, like the new Tool, Lopez vs Axenrot or why did Opeth sell out? :lol:

No, because

1. I hate Tool and

2. It's not cool to compare Lopez to Axenrot and

3. Opeth never sold out.

Umm... obviously I think Portnoy is the best drummer ever. I don't really care what anyone else thinks about it, and I'm not going to waste my time backing my statement up.

^ actually it WAS a joke, it's hard to put irony in them characters you know... ;)

I just made a selection of the most frequent topics that consume most of the threads here...

I don't want to fight with anybody about anything really, even less about whether or how cool MP is. Of course people have different views about these things. All I really meant was that even for people whose tastes differ, people say quite harsh things about him.

From what the guys have said, it is hard to imagine how they are going to mix the different musical ambitions they seem to have. No doubt the results will be interesting.

Portnoy is very good in my opinion too, but hope people don't just like him because he has a lot of drums.

Personally I like the implications Martin puts in more.

But for this i'd prefer Portnoy because the results seem for unpredictable, this will be interesting.