information for the greater good of humanity

I understand all that. I can't watch her videos or show because they offend me. Can't think of a word more fitting. The playstation game she plays in that video, the clothes she wears and every sound that comes out of her mouth are specifically tailored to appeal to a specific demographic, down to how her song's chorus consists partly of easy to memorize and sing along to la la noises. Chorus. Chorus. Chorus. Chorus? Chorus! Chorus :( She has little to no part in any of that stuff. It's a marketer's heaven. She's a mindless corporate pop mouthpiece, she probably doesn't even realize the extent of it herself. I don't care that she doesn't have a great singing voice. I care that she doesn't seem to have a ideas and feelings that at least, I can't feel any of them being communicated in her songs. Yeah, I like feelings in songs. And ideas, and stuff? Music is a communicative medium, it's not my fault that when a song is presented to me I try to understand it. If there was a 3 second still screen reading "This song means nothing. There is no feeling here. There is no motion or pulse. Send us your money. Thanks." before the song would kick in on the video, I guess I wouldn't mind this so much (although that still screen would be a definite metastatement, so it would be a self-referential paradox to claim that the song means nothing. Godel would then make the world explode. ) And maybe she's not required to put effort into her songs, I guess, when she's got a team of producers to back her up and fix her vocals and 'help her with her lyrics' and compress everything so much the song kidney punches you into submission with the choruschoruschorus thing. Sure some of it is catchy, but it's all very hollow. You make me wanna la la? I mean?! Goats!

I like goats. I had a goat as a pet for a year or so and then my dad ate it. I don't mind all pop music. Some music is just popular because it innociously appeals to anyone on a very basic level, through melodic quality, finely crafted composition or whatever else I can't say I'm sure. But *some* sense of honesty, some feeling must come through.

Helm, this is pop music? Has it ever been anything else but a marketer's dream? As far as I can remember it has been like that. Take any crooner from the forties and fifties and try to find any of them with writing credits of their albums, apart from Paul Anka. Sure some of them had musical input but not much. You think the Beatles had complete creative control at the beginning? Interprets are there to interpret the song as best they can, this is as best as Ashlee Simpson can. Apparently it is enough for a lot people, including our good man Greg here. I don't see what's dishonest in her performance.

Pop music is just music that's tailor-made to be popular, and music that just happens to become popular, and in that wide category there's stuff as diverse as abba, x, pink floyd and the talking heads. Not everything about all these bands or artists has to go through teams of marketers, and some resulting music really does seem sincere (to me). Even if this isn't so, and they fooled me, then I guess, good job there, marketing people. Ashlee doesn't fool me in the least, though and I don't see how it has to be insulting to underline the fact that she doesn't, and that I'm annoyed that she tried.

Well if you are annoyed this is no reason to put down Greg's, or anyone else's, musical choices because you don't like it. We are not talking about mindless following of what the said marketers tell you.

never watched that show. i think i saw a sec of it flipping through and she was sitting on the floor on the cell phone in a circle with her friends bitching about something before i moved on to the nat'l geographic channel.

but: i like frou frou. that's pop, right?