"Inheritance..." The New Classic

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
'The new classic' could be used for almost ANY of the songs on NIGHT IS THE NEW DAY, but I find this one to be the song that I can play a friend of mine who's never heard of Katatonia and say 'THIS is Katatonia.'

An instant classic, in my opinion.

I agree. This song has really grown on me over time. A very brooding type atmosphere but his voice fits perfectly with it. I love the "let them inherit, this fire now. lest they will forget that we were ever here" lines. His voice gives me chills on those lines.

TGCD for me. I find NITND to be far too inconsistent from track 6 onwards, with only New Night and Departer being excellent songs IMO.

that's why I thought that season's post in the other thread about which album is better, shocked the shit out of me and was incredibly surprising to read something like that.

To me, inheritance is easily the best song on the album, and saying that the songs past 6 is absurd (nephilim? new night? ashen? OMFG?)

anyway, this instills that Night is the new Day for me is their 2nd best, closely behind Last Fair Deal Gone Down. Nothing like NITND from what i've heard, amazingness all the way through. unbelievable.

It does take time.... but sits nicely alongside the best in my view, not quite a TGCD beater, I think the input from Jens on that album gave it something but NITND is still a fantastic album and very involving.

If it happens that I skip songs on NitND it is Inheritance and Nephilim. Can't explain why exactly, maybe they didn't grow on me enough yet. The Longest Year, Liberation, New Night and Departer are my favourites so far.

The correct answer was "maybe." Denial says you're quite mad my friend.