Insomnium - Above the Weeping World

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
This Finnish band's new album had me quite surprised. I had no idea melodic Gothenburg death metal would impress me so much again. These guys have been around for a while, and this is their third album. Supposedly, their first two discs were more predictable stuff with obvious In Flames and Orchid era Opeth references, but their new one, while retaining a distinct early In Flames feel to it, is actually a very solid release.

The riffs are incredible, very solid, blending aggression and melody, with cool shifts of mood. The acoustic parts are minimal compared to their earlier work, and I personally think much better than the lame Wintersun and Enfiserum type of stuff. That said, Insomnium ain't re-inventing the wheel of death, but what they do, they do great! This is one of the best melodic death metal releases of 2006, if not the best.

I'll spend some more time with this disc to fully digest it.

Has anyone else heard this band?

I've heard the last two albums and I'm definitely a fan. Especially the new one kicks ass. I don't own the albums yet, but I'm going to buy them as soon as I can spare the cash.

In case someone is interested, their first demo can be downloaded from their website. It isn't nearly as good as the newer stuff (surprise...), but still worth listening.

i agree with threadstarter, to me this album the best melodeath release of 2006 so far (expected to be eclipsed by the new Arsis next month). yeah its definitely not anything new, but its great for what it is and, like batmura said, extremely solid.

TheCheese67 said:
NFU, you like KsE. Your opinion is officially invalid.

funny you bring that up. this is what i said about insomnium in the KSE thread...

"but i have far more respect for KSE, for doing what they know they can do, and doing it EXTREMELY well and gratifying me for 3 minutes instead of some shitty, rehashed melodeath slop like Insomnium for pretending theyre anything deeper or above that of a band like killswitch just for doing what dark tranquillity already did 10 years ago."

i rest my case you basement dwelling, anti-social, back-zit ridden noobtwat.

NineFeetUnderground said:
funny you bring that up. this is what i said about insomnium in the KSE thread...

"but i have far more respect for KSE, for doing what they know they can do, and doing it EXTREMELY well and gratifying me for 3 minutes instead of some shitty, rehashed melodeath slop like Insomnium for pretending theyre anything deeper or above that of a band like killswitch just for doing what dark tranquillity already did 10 years ago."

i rest my case you basement dwelling, anti-social, back-zit ridden noobtwat.
lol, NFU having an issue with fucking pretentia?
I thought he exemplified that term.

Gothenburg is technically brilliant for 0.02 of a second, until the realisation of sped up Iron Maiden with growls factor sets. Boring, and so 5-10 years ago.

And what the fuck is it with that stupid "melodeath" term? It's about as worn out as "prog". Fuck melodic death metal, its about as interesting as watching paint dry.